Neoprene wader repair.

Old March 23rd, 2004, 01:01 PM
Kim Sawyer

Default Neoprene wader repair.

I caught the inside leg of my neoprene chest waders on a barbed fence
last week, and put a hole in them. Fortunately, it wasn't too serious.
The barb plucked out a core of neoprene which was easily glued back into
placed and should prove to be waterproof. But it occurred to me that I
wouldn't have known how to repair more serious damage, say, a major
tear.

Two neoprene patches and a tube of glue were included when I bought the
waders, but the instructions on how to make a repair are ambiguous, to
say the least. So does anybody have a particular method? Is the patch
applied from the inside or the outside?

I know it isn't rocket science, but I'd hate to be fishing a long way
from home and have the things start to leak.

--
Kim Sawyer
Sutherland
Old March 23rd, 2004, 05:24 PM
Derek.Moody

In article , Kim Sawyer
wrote:
I caught the inside leg of my neoprene chest waders on a barbed fence

placed and should prove to be waterproof. But it occurred to me that I
wouldn't have known how to repair more serious damage, say, a major
tear.

A dive/surfing shop should have instructions and kit for fixing neoprene.

Usually you just have to bring the edges together with a little excess glue,
clamp and wait. Sometimes the damage is such that the area will be subject
to excessive stress so you overlap with a patch. Inside -and- out is always
best otherwise if just one side then the one with the opening stress,
(usually the outside) is best -if- the adjacent surface is in good enough
condition for glueing. Pro-repairers will sometimes cut out a torn area and
insert a new piece - lay the patch and tear together and cut both in one if
you can. It is worth prophilactic patching over a badly worn area before it
goes through rather than playing catch-up with leaks.

Cheerio,

Old March 23rd, 2004, 07:53 PM
Kim Sawyer

The message
from "Derek.Moody" contains these words:

In article , Kim Sawyer
wrote:
[...]

Thanks, Derek. What threw me was the thickness of the neoprene patch. I
just thought that, applying it as a patch from the inside, as the
instructions said, would have left a bulky repair prone to rubbing, that
was bound to curl and fail eventually. So I wondered if the answer was
to remove an entire section, including the damaged area, and replace it
with a patch that was glued edge to edge.

Part of the instruction for repair included separating the outer nylon
membrane from the neoprene. I gave it a try but quickly gave it up as it
was almost impossible to do without causing further damage. Obviously
the answer is to stay well away from barbed wire fences.

Salmon are beginning to run here now.

--
Kim Sawyer
Sutherland
Old March 23rd, 2004, 08:14 PM
Derek.Moody

In article , Kim Sawyer
wrote:

Thanks, Derek. What threw me was the thickness of the neoprene patch. I

If the patch is just holding together a glued area under stress then it
doesn't have to be the same weight as the material itself - a bit of thinner
stuff may well be as effective.

was bound to curl and fail eventually. So I wondered if the answer was
to remove an entire section, including the damaged area, and replace it
with a patch that was glued edge to edge.

That's how the professionals deal with major damage.

Biggest I ever saw was when a surfer had fallen off a motorbike (don't ask);
my gf at the time used to do repairs and she was presented with a suit
that had tatters instead of a left leg and very little left elbow...
When she finished the colours were a little odd but the wetsuit was
otherwise as good as new. Very repairable stuff neoprene though for a job
that size she also used a special stitching jig.

Part of the instruction for repair included separating the outer nylon
membrane from the neoprene. I gave it a try but quickly gave it up as it
was almost impossible to do without causing further damage. Obviously
the answer is to stay well away from barbed wire fences.

Last year I was deep wading a pool when a baliff turned up on the bank and
asked to see my licence. Rather than wade back up the pool I scrambled up
the rather steep, brambly bank at the tail which meant hands and knees at
one point. Of course I knelt on a thorn. As I was wearing thin nylon
waders this meant semi-stripping on the bank to extract the thorn followed
by a wet left foot for the rest of the day until I could effect repairs back
at the b&b.

Salmon are beginning to run here now.

Go get 'em :-)

Immediate plans here are for a few early brownies to kick-off the season
then switch attention to sea fishing until the trout regain condition. No
plans (yet) for salmon until summer or later this year.

Cheerio,

Old March 23rd, 2004, 08:34 PM
Titus A Ducksass

On Tue, 23 Mar 2004 13:01:03 GMT, Kim Sawyer
wrote:

I caught the inside leg of my neoprene chest waders on a barbed fence
last week, and put a hole in them. Fortunately, it wasn't too serious.
The barb plucked out a core of neoprene which was easily glued back into
placed and should prove to be waterproof. But it occurred to me that I
wouldn't have known how to repair more serious damage, say, a major
tear.

Two neoprene patches and a tube of glue were included when I bought the
waders, but the instructions on how to make a repair are ambiguous, to
say the least. So does anybody have a particular method? Is the patch
applied from the inside or the outside?

I know it isn't rocket science, but I'd hate to be fishing a long way
from home and have the things start to leak.

VB GRIN
Have you never repaired a bike tire?????
Same principle...

For larger tears,,, you need to take up sewing...
Buy some rubber solution, some sand paper, some rubber - try a shoe
repairer.
Old March 23rd, 2004, 08:37 PM
W. D. Grey

In article , Kim Sawyer
writes
Two neoprene patches and a tube of glue were included when I bought the
waders, but the instructions on how to make a repair are ambiguous, to
say the least. So does anybody have a particular method? Is the patch
applied from the inside or the outside?

When I was a member of BSAC I had a 6mm neoprene suit. Some of the lads
used to make their own out of sheet neoprene. The method of joinig was
edge to edge using a contact adhesive called "Black magic" It was used
in the same way as Evostick.

Each edge was coated thinly then allowed to become tacky/dry then the
two edges brought firmly together. worked a treat.

In you case a proper patch of thin neoprene attached on the outside
using the Black Magic should do the trick.

Evostick is water soluble so use the Black Magic or whatever is the
uo-to-date stuff.
--
Bill Grey
http://www.billboy.co.uk
Old March 23rd, 2004, 09:04 PM
Kim Sawyer

The message
from Titus A Ducksass contains these words:

Have you never repaired a bike tire?????
Same principle...

As I mentioned to Derek in a later post, the thickness of the neoprene
material applied as you have suggested would have made for a very untidy
repair. I was sure there had to be a better way.

For larger tears,,, you need to take up sewing...
Buy some rubber solution, some sand paper, some rubber - try a shoe
repairer.

I think I'll just take the fence down...

--
Kim Sawyer
Sutherland
Old March 24th, 2004, 08:49 AM
Kim Sawyer

The message
from "Derek.Moody" contains these words:

Salmon are beginning to run here now.

Go get 'em :-)

First one went back here on the 13th of February. I'm on the Carron. The
lower beats are doing better than previous years. I'm led to believe two
rods had 9 fish between them one day last week. Seems as though there
are plenty of fish about for a change.

Immediate plans here are for a few early brownies to kick-off the season
then switch attention to sea fishing until the trout regain condition. No
plans (yet) for salmon until summer or later this year.

After abandoning them for some years, I revisited some of my old trout
fishing venues last year and had a brilliant time. I intend to do the
same again this year. Beats mowing the lawn.

--
Kim Sawyer
Sutherland
Old March 24th, 2004, 08:04 PM
laxhill

On Tue, 23 Mar 2004 20:37:50 +0000, "W. D. Grey"
wrote:

In article , Kim Sawyer
writes
Two neoprene patches and a tube of glue were included when I bought the
waders, but the instructions on how to make a repair are ambiguous, to
say the least. So does anybody have a particular method? Is the patch
applied from the inside or the outside?

When I was a member of BSAC I had a 6mm neoprene suit. Some of the lads
used to make their own out of sheet neoprene. The method of joinig was
edge to edge using a contact adhesive called "Black magic" It was used
in the same way as Evostick.

Each edge was coated thinly then allowed to become tacky/dry then the
two edges brought firmly together. worked a treat.

In you case a proper patch of thin neoprene attached on the outside
using the Black Magic should do the trick.

Evostick is water soluble so use the Black Magic or whatever is the
uo-to-date stuff.

Presumably this stuff??
http://www.lawson-his.co.uk/scripts/...&product= 699

Keith
Old March 27th, 2004, 11:05 PM
W. D. Grey

In article , laxhill
writes
Presumably this stuff??

It wasn't/isn't super Glue but a contact adhesive.

Evostik, Thixofix are examples. - Not Superglue which is water soluble
anyway.
--
Bill Grey
http://www.billboy.co.uk