Rod Action vs. Power(freakin long daft)

Old October 26th, 2003, 03:07 AM
Dave Norton

Default Rod Action vs. Power(freakin long daft)

A Rod Blanks Power vs Action

Action of a Rod can best be described as that portion of a rod blank that
bends during a cast. In an extra-fast blank, the blank will bend the most in
the top 25% of the blank.. In the case of a fast action blank, the blank
will bend most in the top 33% of the blank.If you are casting a moderate
action blank you would find that the blank will flex in the top 50% of the
blank. While a slow action rod would reveal a continuous curve along the
entire rod blank.

So much for the short version on Rod Action. There is much more here than
meets the eye as we will soon reveal. However let us first try to describe
Rod Power. You will see clearly the difference between ACTIONand POWER.

Rod blank power is simply a rating. Based upon the design characteristics of
a particular blank model. Power catagories are as follows:

UL- Ultra-Light

Light

ML-Med/Light

Medium

Medium Heavy

Heavy

Extra Heavy

Ulra Heavy

Now, power simply describes the overall stiffness of a blank, and the blanks
ability to React. The reason for power rating is because there are big and
small fishey's. You would not use an Ultra-Light to flip into heavy cover
for a 10lb bass. Conversely, you would not use a Mag Heavy blank designed
for Muskie fishing to reel in Crappie. Oh you could but, man what overkill.
That is the basis behind the Rod-Power ratings.

So let's get back to Rod-Action. Rod action is more closely related to
fishing technique. Remember the terms, Extra-fast, Fast, Moderate and Slow?
These terms relate to the amount of time required for a blank to reach
maximum load,

A blanks action is created by the design of the taper of the graphite
sheets! Huh? As of my writing this, blank manufacturers use both tapers
that are designed into the mandrels around which the blank materials is
wrapped, and taper cut material which is then wrapped around the mandrels.

Wait? they use multiple taper mandrels and taper cut material. This is how
they can design so many different model of blanks. Simply by changing where
on the mandrel the material is rolled, they can change the blanks action.
Also by changing the taper of the cut material, can the action of a blank
change.

Basically - a slow or moderate action blank will have the material cut in a
straight taper. While a fast or extra-fast action would have a multiple of
compound tapers with less material at the tip of the blank. How fast will
the action be? That will depend on where the changes in the tapers occur.
Remember that a fast action blank bends most in the upper 33% of the blank.

So now we have the beginnings of a vague idea on how action not only works
but is created in a blank.

What about the terms HMG, IM, and HS. These terms refer to the graphite
material used in the blanks.HMG= High Modulus Graphite is used to create
today's extremely sensitive blanks. It is more densely woven, and therefore
requires less material. However, since less material is used the blank walls
are thinner. Hence the blanks are somewhat more fragile. IM= Intermediate
Modulus Graphite- the mainstay of most blanks- IM can range from 36 million
modulus all the way up to 54 million modulus. Modulus refers to the
elasticity of the fibers. The higher the modulus the less elastic it is. HS=
High Strengh Graphite. This fiber is used in conjunction with the other two;
to add strength to the blanks.

All blanks today use a combination of these three fabrics. HS can be rolled
on the mandrel in a spiral or at a right angle to the main sheets of
material. This creates a hoop effect, to help keep the blank from shattering
or the blank walls from collapsing.

I realize that I have strayed from the topic of Action vs Power, but these
are not simplistic subjects, and deserve all the attention I can muster. As
you can see "many" variables go into the design andmakeup of a rod blank.

Yet, I must also note that this is not where design ends. A blank "action"
can be altered by several methods which can be employed by the rod builder.
First, the builder can alter the action by minutely cutting the tip section.
However, this technique is seldom employed. A rod builder can also change
the action by the type of guides used and where they are placed on the
blank. That's right, the builder can actually change the action of a blank,
either to soften or harden it by the type of guides used; how many are
used, and where they are placed.

Well that's it in a nutshell. I hope that this will help answer some
questions regarding this subject, And that maybe if someone asks you why a
rod behaves as it does, you will be able to help them understand. I also
hope that this helps to explain a little, the difference between a custom
rod and a manufacturered one.

Only custom builder seek to design and construct the ultimate fishing rods,
Manufacturers seek to maintain the status quo. In otherwords, they strive to
make each rod in a model series as identical as possible. But as we have
learned, there are too many variables for this to be a reality. First, human
hands cut the graphite, pre-peg as it's called, and roll it onto the
mandels. Everywhere in the process,humans are involved. Thus, no two blanks
could ever be the same or fish the same.

--
Dave Norton
Millennium Rods

Old October 26th, 2003, 04:43 AM
Craig

Dave Norton wrote: "So let's get back to Rod-Action. Rod action is more
closely related to fishing technique. Remember the terms, Extra-fast, Fast,
Moderate and Slow? These terms relate to the amount of time required for a
blank to reach maximum load."

Or in plain english, the amount of time it takes a blank to go from a fully
loaded (bowed) position to being straight again.

Dave wrote: "What about the terms HMG, IM, and HS. These terms refer to the
graphite material used in the blanks.HMG= High Modulus Graphite is used to
create today's extremely sensitive blanks. It is more densely woven, and
therefore requires less material. However, since less material is used the
blank walls are thinner. Hence the blanks are somewhat more fragile. IM=
Intermediate Modulus Graphite- the mainstay of most blanks- IM can range
from 36 million modulus all the way up to 54 million modulus. Modulus refers
to the elasticity of the fibers. The higher the modulus the less elastic it
is. HS=High Strength Graphite. This fiber is used in conjunction with the
other two; to add strength to the blanks."

This is a very complicated subject, and it is quite difficult to try and
simplify in one paragraph. Dave has done a good job, but please understand
that, what we refer to as graphite, has two measures: Modulus -
stiffness/elasticity, and Strain Rate - Tensile/Strength. Know that as
modulus goes up, strain rate decreases. IM materials 45 million or less has
a high enough strain rate that you need not worry. However, any materials
with a modulus higher than 48-million requires something to boost the strain
rate. There are numerous ways in which the strain rate can be boosted, but
all add a great deal of cost (mostly in R&D) to the rod. The reason high
end rods cost so much. So great caution needs to be employed when buying a
High Modulus Rod. The words HIGH STRAIN needs to also be present. If it is
not, you could have a VERY SENSITIVE, VERY BRITTLE rod. Stiffness without
strength IS NOT a very good thing. The reason why people who buy cheap High
Modulus Rods buy more rods more often, or get frustrated and go back to
cheaper multi-blend rods and bad mouth high modulus rods.

Dave is right on when he says a rod craftsman can change a rod's natural
action, both for the good as well as the bad. The reason you need to only
use one with that has a well-known reputation.

Just adding my $.02

--
Craig Baugher

Old October 26th, 2003, 04:54 AM
Doc \(The Tin Boat King\)

I vote this goes into our FAQ file. Bill P.
=====================================

Old October 26th, 2003, 05:36 AM
AJH

Thanks Rodmaker..

I fish therefore I lie

Old October 26th, 2003, 02:48 PM
Andrew Kidd

Default Rod Action vs. Power - FAQ addition

After receiving a nomination and a second on adding this to the FAQ, I
agree.

Please review the following links:

http://www.rofb.net/faq/faq_rodaction.htm

Dave, since you are the author of this article, if you would like it
removed, please let me know! If you would like to make any changes, please
feel free to send them to me. I noticed that this did say draft in the
original title.

If no problems, conflicts or complaints are received within the next 72
hours, I will consider this an addition to the FAQ. Thanks to everyone for
making the suggestions!

Once again, if you see older articles that you feel should be removed
from the FAQ, please let me know and I'll take it to the group for
discussion.
--
Andrew Kidd
http://www.amiasoft.com/ - Software for the rest of us!

Old October 27th, 2003, 02:04 AM
Dave Norton

Hey Craig , good points . Can I incorporate your post in my article?

--
Dave Norton
Millennium Rods

Old October 27th, 2003, 02:05 AM
Dave Norton

As stated this is the draft. I will continue to refine it, and post my
results.

--
Dave Norton
Millennium Rods
"AJH" wrote in message
Thanks Rodmaker..

I fish therefore I lie

Old October 27th, 2003, 02:15 AM
Dave Norton

With Craig's permissision I will add his comments to the article, and send
it to Andrew. Please be patient as as I am up to my ass in alligator's at
work!

--
Dave Norton
Millennium Rods