Ascension Bay, Mexico?

Old December 23rd, 2007, 03:59 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
Denis Lamy[_2_]

Default Ascension Bay, Mexico?

Hi everyone,

Hope your having a good holiday season so far. ;-)

I was reading my Fly Tyer magazine and was struck by an article on
Ascension Bay in Mexico. Any of you has experience with that destination?

In the article they mention three resorts:
Casa Blanca Fishing Lodge (http://www.outdoortravelinc.com/)
Pesca Maya Fishing Lodge (http://www.pescamaya.com/)
& Ascension Bay Bonefish Club (http://www.ascensionbay.com/)

Any recommendation or tourist trap to avoid?

Thanks for your time and patience.

--
Hope to read you soon,

Denis
www.uqtr.ca/~lamyd

You'll have to eat the SPAM to E-mail
Old December 23rd, 2007, 04:02 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
Denis Lamy[_2_]

Denis Lamy a écrit :
Hi everyone,

Hope your having a good holiday season so far. ;-)

I was reading my Fly Tyer magazine and was struck by an article on
Ascension Bay in Mexico. Any of you has experience with that destination?

In the article they mention three resorts:
Casa Blanca Fishing Lodge (http://www.outdoortravelinc.com/)
Pesca Maya Fishing Lodge (http://www.pescamaya.com/)
& Ascension Bay Bonefish Club (http://www.ascensionbay.com/)

Any recommendation or tourist trap to avoid?

Thanks for your time and patience.

Sorry,

Forgot to tell you, I'm planning a trip for mid march; for that
destination or any other exciting fishing place available. :-)

Old December 29th, 2007, 09:37 AM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
Bill Kiene

They did not mention the "Cuzan's Guest House"?

They are all good places to stay.

People do go down there in the winter but I prefer the warmer month for most
tropical fly fishing destinations.

--
Bill Kiene

Kiene's Fly Shop
Sacramento, CA, USA

Web site: www.kiene.com

Old December 29th, 2007, 09:20 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
[email protected]

I have stayed and fished out of Pesca Maya several times over the last
decade, the last time was a year ago. I like Pesca Maya very much. The
food there is excellent. Most of the guides are quite knowledgeable,
though their grasp of English varies quite a bit. They all know where
the fish are. There are several different kinds of accommodations
there. The most common is a palapa (sp?) on the beach, which is a
thatched hut room with a tile floor, a bathroom with shower, and a
screened in porch. They also have a house in which people sometimes
stay which is a typical modern house. The palapas do not have air
conditioning, though I have never felt that I needed it because there
is always a nice breeze coming off of the ocean which, combined with
the ceiling fan, has always felt comfortable enough.

The bar/dining area is also a large thatch roofed structure. After
fishing each day the guests hang out there having drinks and
appetizers and comparing their days. I have met some very interesting
people there. The food is excellent.

For fishing the guides either take you to some local flats, the Boca
Paila lagoon, or they make the run up to Ascencion Bay. Pesca Maya is
at the southern edge of the bay, so to fish it the guides make about
an hour run north to the flats there. Ascencion Bay is absolutely a
gorgeous place to fish and is part of the protected Sian Ka'an
Biosphere Reserve.

There are lots of fish available in the areas that are fished. When I
was there in Dec '06, I noticed that the size of the average fish that
I caught had substantially increased from 10 years ago. I caught a
number of bone fish that were 5 pounds or so this time, whereas back
then they were mostly 1-3 pounds. I was told that this was because of
some anti-gill netting laws that had been put in place. On my first
trip there I did catch a grand slam of bonefish, tarpon, and permit.

The lodges you list have some differences in regard to price and
location. Casa Blanca is right in Ascension Bay, so the ride out to
fishing is shorter. It is a more deluxe lodge with real hotel rooms.
It also costs a lot more than Pesca Maya. So there is a trade in the
quality of accommodations and location versus price. I can tell you
that I never lacked fishing opportunites while at Pesca Maya. Everyone
I know who has gone there has liked it.

Hope this helps!

Steve R

Old December 30th, 2007, 04:24 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
Alex

Our daughter got married a couple of years ago in Cozumel and we took the
opportunity to take a fishing trip to Ascension Bay. We were on a pretty
strict budget. We stayed at the Cuzan Guest House and hired a guide out of
the fishing co-op for the first day. The next day we met a couple in the
hotel and I shared a boat and guide with the gentleman. I visited Pesca
Maya and it was very nice but out of our price range. I also talked to a
man who ran the fishing at Casa Blanco and that was really out of our price
range. The fishing experience was terrific both days I went out. The
guides were good and put me on bonefish both days. The last day we walked
for most of the day and it really tired me out. Punta Allen is a neat place
to see and be. Power is by town generator and the hours are from noon to 10
pm. If you're planning on going during the hot months be sure to get a room
on the beach.