Altering Dry Flies to Wet Flies question

Old March 29th, 2007, 05:54 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
[email protected]

Default Altering Dry Flies to Wet Flies question

On Mar 29, 6:47 pm, wrote:
On Mar 29, 5:53 pm, "Tom Nakashima" wrote:

There was a thread awhile back on wet fly fishing. I'm
quite interested in fishing the wet fly.
I was wondering if dry flies could be altered on the spot,
say something like an Adams Dry Fly, altered into a wet fly
by cutting down some of the hackle? Or solutions to make
the dry fly sink without adding shots to the leader or tippet.
thanks,
-tom

You just need to put some soapy water on it, and it will sink
immediately. Soap destroys the surface tension, and the fly sinks.

TL
MC

This applies to flies that are not naturally buoyant. This can often
be very successful in fast water. Some wet flies for fast water were
actually dressed with stiff hackles, here are some examples;
http://www.dtnicolson.dial.pipex.com/page109.html

These flies may be used wet or dry depending on whether floatant is
used. Soapy water will sink a fly even if it has been treated with
floatant, as it desstroys surface tension.

Of course, in the majority of cases specifically designed wet flies
will usually be more effective.

TL
MC

Old March 30th, 2007, 05:16 AM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
rw

Tom Nakashima wrote:

Yup, fly-tying has been on my mind for quite awhile, I think it's time
to start learning.
Ok, going to another thread for a starter kit for fly tying
-tom

It's simple:

Buy all the tools you need (vise, scissors, bobbin, etc.).

Pick a half-dozen patterns you prefer. Say, three dries and three
nymphs, or whatever. I suggest that you choose them from the
troutflies.com tutorials.

Buy all the materials you need.

Tie a whole bunch of flies.

Old March 31st, 2007, 05:20 AM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
Mike Makela

"Tom Nakashima" wrote in message
There was a thread awhile back on wet fly fishing. I'm
quite interested in fishing the wet fly.
I was wondering if dry flies could be altered on the spot,
say something like an Adams Dry Fly, altered into a wet fly
by cutting down some of the hackle? Or solutions to make
the dry fly sink without adding shots to the leader or tippet.
thanks,
-tom

I know at least someone must have done this before, if not by mistake (which
is how I learned). A nice CDC, or Snowshoe, fly works well to cover both
types of flies, and in one cast. You can dead drift it downstream, work the
fly as a dry downstream, lifting your rod to reposition and re-drift, and
then once you get sick of the refusals, or just plain no luck, bring your
rod tip down to the surface and drown her on the way back.

This whole series of Varied Presentation is especially good in shallow
water, or during an extremely heavy hatch where many fish are feeding just
below the surface chasing emerger up off the bottom. Can be very effective,
just before the peak of the hatch. Once the majority of flies are being
taken off of the surface, they tend to dismiss the underwater stages, but
you are still prepared for that. 10-20 false casts and you have a dry CDC
once again.

Check it out someday when you looking for something new to keep you
interested...one big challenge. You must have a fly that can fool them in
both stages. In reality, the emerging wet body, needs to closely resemble
the dry body, or only one phase of presentation may work.

Makela - The Finn