Suggestions?

Old January 21st, 2007, 11:16 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.bass
Bass_Mr.

Default Suggestions?

I have had a 12 and a 14 Charles and you definitely want the 14.
"Charles Summers" wrote in message
. ..
Ok... you're one of the few that I listen to Steve. If you say 14, then 14
it is.

The 14' jon boat from BPS is only 120lbs, compared to the 105lbs for the
12'... and only $70 more.

"Steve @ OutdoorFrontiers" wrote in message

"Charles Summers" wrote in message
. ..
I'd have to sell my house, wife, and kids to afford that Fast Cat
Steve... even then I'd be in debt for the next ten years.

I've looked at the BPS boats and they're not bad. Still haven't decided
between the 12 and 14 foot size. I'm hoping that I'll have a partner or
two to fish with, but also want something light enough to load into the
back of my truck and put in the water by myself.

I've fished from 12 footers. Trust me, get the 14 and just eat your
Wheaties.....
--
Steve @ OutdoorFrontiers
http://www.outdoorfrontiers.com

Old January 22nd, 2007, 06:48 AM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.bass
Doug

Charles,

I just did a search for "Jon Boat" on Ebay, and came up with a bunch of
hits! If your looking for affordable, that might be the way to go. For
what you will pay for a new one, you might be able to get your ideal rig
there. I just seen a 12 Foot Lowe with a 9.9 Merc go for $900.00 on there,
and they seemed to be in good shape, early 90's or so. Just a thought
though, you might want to explore....

Doug

"Charles Summers" wrote in message
. ..
Looking for a 12 to 14 foot jonboat... any brands that I should avoid?
Will be powered first with a trolling motor, eventually to be replaced
with a gas.

Won't be used in any big lakes, except maybe the coves at Percy Priest,
which I know I can navigate fairly well in a smaller boat. Otherwise, to
be used in the smaller lakes around here where the bigger fish hang out
(read: Stocked). LOL

Old January 22nd, 2007, 07:00 AM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.bass
Calif Bill

"Doug" wrote in message
[...]

You want a minimum of 13' and 14 is much better. I used to have a 14' Valco
the 14 weighed about 10# more than the 12 and carried about 170# more. More
room to move around in and much more stable. If you look at riveted boats
they normally scale less.

Old January 23rd, 2007, 10:03 AM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.bass
Huck P

You've got to get past the denial stage Charles...... that's why we've
gathered for this intervention......we really do care. said Huck

"Charles Summers" wrote in message
I didn't sell the boat for a bike... but my interests changed along that
route.

I sold the boat because it sat in the driveway, unused most of the time. I
bought the bike because... I like it!

"OhioFishking" wrote in message

"Charles Summers" snip
Looking for a 12 to 14 foot jonboat... any brands that I should avoid?

I think there is a man law that prohibits you from purchasing any boat
after selling a boat for a bike. I believe it's a 1 year waiting period,
even then you must have in writing, an apology to all bass fisherman

Old January 23rd, 2007, 11:49 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.bass
Henry Hefner Henry Hefner is offline
Junior Member

On Jan 21, 12:43 pm, "Charles Summers"
wrote:

I've looked at the BPS boats and they're not bad. Still haven't decided
between the 12 and 14 foot size. I'm hoping that I'll have a partner or two
to fish with, but also want something light enough to load into the back of
my truck and put in the water by myself.

Charles, I've been using my 14' V-bottom with a bow mount trolling
motor, and you probably already know that without an outboard on back,
the boat will really track funny in the wind. They make a small
rudder-like attachment that you can hang from your transom into the
water, to keep your boat tracking straight, even though I can't find a
link to one now. I have an idea for a gizmo that if you are handy you
can make yourself. Why not put a wheel, say about 5 or 6 inches in
diameter, on a bracket that attaches to the transom. That way, you can
push your boat wheelbarrow style to the water, and when in the water,
it will keep your boat pointing right. I've started to make one for
myself, but I put a 5 HP outboard on the back instead. If it's hard to
visualize what I mean, here's a rough sketch:
http://img401.imageshack.us/img401/9...omwheel2ba.jpg

Old January 24th, 2007, 12:26 AM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.bass
Calif Bill

oups.com...

wrote:

[...]

Eide Industries make transom wheels.
http://www.eideboatloader.com/wheels.html
I had a set on my 14, and liked them a lot. the Wheel-a-weigh are nicer I
think as you do not have to pull a pin to flip the wheel but there is a
spring catch.
http://www.davisnet.com/Marine/produ...ne.asp?grp=mo5

Old February 1st, 2007, 12:27 AM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.bass
Joshuall

Charles,
I heartily recommend anything from the White Star Line of boats for you

--
God Bless America

Josh The Bad Bear