Bass in a Aquarium

Old September 17th, 2006, 10:15 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.bass
Muskoka Fisherman

Default Bass in a Aquarium

My wife is a teacher at a highschool in Ontario, Canada. Does anyone
know if it's legal or possible to keep Largemouth bass and sunfish in a
aquarium at her school. Would it be hard to keep or too messy?

Old September 17th, 2006, 11:53 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.bass
Steve @ OutdoorFrontiers

"Muskoka Fisherman" wrote in message
ps.com...
My wife is a teacher at a highschool in Ontario, Canada. Does anyone
know if it's legal or possible to keep Largemouth bass and sunfish in a
aquarium at her school. Would it be hard to keep or too messy?

They're not hard to keep, and they can be interesting. Just remember that
little other than the bass will remain in the tank. Here in Wisconsin it is
legal, but any bass in the aquarium do count towards your possession limit.
In this state, the daily bag limit is 5 bass, the possession limit is 10
bass. So, if I have 2 bass in a tank, I can only catch/keep another 8 bass,
but only 5 in one day.

However, this is NOT the case if the bass were to be purchased from a pet
store or fish hatchery. If I can produce a receipt showing the bass was
"privately owned" prior to my possession, it does not count toward my
possession limit.

I would suggest that you talk to an area game warden as laws will change
from region to region. What might be legal here might get your wife a nice
fine in Ontario.
--
Steve @ OutdoorFrontiers
http://www.outdoorfrontiers.com

Old September 18th, 2006, 02:02 AM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.bass
Rodney Long

Muskoka Fisherman wrote:

My wife is a teacher at a highschool in Ontario, Canada. Does anyone
know if it's legal or possible to keep Largemouth bass and sunfish in a
aquarium at her school. Would it be hard to keep or too messy?

It's legal in every state in the US I'm familiar with, once you catch a
bass it's yours, the only rules is putting it in another body of water
(another lake or river) they frown on, because of the possibility or
transplanting a diseased fish.

Of course the bass will end up eating the bream.

I have a friend that put two little 3 inch large mouths in his aquarium,
one day he came home, and there was just one, the other was just gone,
the one remaining had a big grin on his face, and a really fat belly :-)

--
Rodney Long,
Inventor of the Mojo SpecTastic "WIGGLE" rig, SpecTastic Thread,
Old September 18th, 2006, 03:10 AM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.bass
fishtale

In the regs there is a section on moving or transporting live fish. It
says something to the effect that a license (other than fishing
license) is needed to ship or transport live fish other than baitfish.
They have an information line. Another question what happens to the
fish after you are done with it and where would it be released and to
what body of water. Technically I would think that it would not be
allowed.

Old September 18th, 2006, 05:39 AM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.bass
John

Muskoka asked:
Does anyone know if it's legal or possible to keep Largemouth bass and
sunfish in a
aquarium at his wife's school. Would it be hard to keep or too messy?

Yes I know it is possible to keep a LM Bass and a sunfish in the same
aquarium for some period of time if they are the same size. A weighted cover
is needed or one or both may get out. Water will be splashed out and she
will have to determine if it is too messy. The length of "some period of
time" before the bass eats the sunfish may be measured in days and will
depend on variables such as how much/little each are fed, how sick/well
either is, how stressed/unstressed either is, etc.

Yes I know it is not possible to keep a LM Bass and a sunfish in the same
aquarium for some period of time if either is larger than the other. The
larger the size differential of the two fish, the shorter time period the
smaller will live. A weighted cover is required or one or both may get out.
Water will be splashed out and she will have to determine if it is too
messy. The length of "some period of time" may be measured in hours or
minutes and will not depend as much on variables such as how much/little
each are fed, how sick/well either is, how stressed/unstressed either is,
etc. I do not know which would get eaten faster (a) big bass/little sunfish
or (b) big sunfish/little bass, but I suspect (a).

No I do not know if it is legal in your wife's school to attempt to keep
Largemouth bass and sunfish in an aquarium.

Good luck!
John

Old September 18th, 2006, 05:38 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.bass
WARREN WOLK

"Rodney Long" wrote in message
I have a friend that put two little 3 inch large mouths in his aquarium,

Now I can tell you for sure that putting 3" bass in an aquarium ain't legal
in too many states!

Warren

Old September 18th, 2006, 06:37 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.bass
Rodney Long

WARREN WOLK wrote:

"Rodney Long" wrote in message

I have a friend that put two little 3 inch large mouths in his aquarium,

Now I can tell you for sure that putting 3" bass in an aquarium ain't legal
in too many states!

Warren

Depends on where and how they are caught, of course they could be
purchased "legally" from any licensed stocking company, in every state,
and they can be removed (in any fashion, and size) from anyone's "own"
private pond. Perhaps they have a transporting of live fish law in some
states

So just having them in an Aquarium, in any state, does not necessarily
make it illegal, if they were taken illegally, then that is where the
law was broken, not having them in an aquarium.

It's true that many states have size limits on bass taken from public
waters (mine is not one of them from "most" public waters, only just a
few have size limits).

I have never seen a law, in any state, that says you can't keep bass in
an aquarium, If there is one, I would like to know which state, or
states these are in effect. You see I do a few bass tub shows across
the country, these are "bass" in aquariums, I plan on doing many of them
next year, we are even talking about getting our own tub. I sure don't
want to break any state game laws.

Old September 18th, 2006, 07:14 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.bass
WARREN WOLK

Generally if the fish was taken from a state's waters the minimum size
requirement would apply. Here in PA it's ok to have a pet bass, but it had
better be 12" long. Any bass that you have in captivity also counts against
your daily limit of 6 fish. So technically if you have 3 bass at home in
your fishtank, then you're only allowed to keep 3 on the water. Silly yes,
but the law nonetheless. As for getting them from a hatchery, here you must
apply for & obtain a permit to stock any waters, and the sheer expense of
obtaining such a permit would prohibit most folks from doing so just to get
a few fingerlings for the old fishtank.

Bass are pretty boring in a fishtank anyway, they pretty much stay idle &
motionless (until feeding time), and they get very territorial much like
tropical cichlids.

The cool thing about housing them in tanks (especially "hawg troughs" or
"tubs") is that they will eat almost anything when hungry, especially if
several bass are present. Those tanks are a great means of selling lures to
people that aren't aware of this. I once saw Shaw Grigsby tie his car key
to a line &, you guessed it, they tore it up when tossed in the traugh.
Lol...

Warren ;-)

Old September 18th, 2006, 10:12 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.bass
Rodney Long

WARREN WOLK wrote:

Warren you just want to argue. a person buying a couple of bass for an
aquarium is not "stocking" a lake, and few states require a "stocking
permit" for a private pond, only those money hungry states that try to
"tax" everything do that.

The cool thing about housing them in tanks (especially "hawg troughs" or
"tubs") is that they will eat almost anything when hungry, especially if
several bass are present. Those tanks are a great means of selling lures to
people that aren't aware of this. I once saw Shaw Grigsby tie his car key
to a line &, you guessed it, they tore it up when tossed in the traugh.
Lol...

Warren ;-)

A "hungry" bass will hit anything moving, """"anywhere"""", even in the
wild, I've had them hit a red and white round bobber, I've seen them
caught on everything , including an old pop top, and a table spoon. I
have also seen many, many, pro's , use every trick they knew, and their
favorite lures and not get a bass to hit in a tub, not a single strike.
This is especially true after the bass have been tricked by lures for
hours, or even days. Anyone who has ever watched "many" tub demo's, has
witnessed this, many times. Sure a few times the fish are on, but most
of the time they are not.

These fish come from the wild, at each location (wild to them anyway, as
most are borrowed from stocking companies) then placed in a glass cage
that they can see you, and the crowd, as well as people can see them,
and they hear all the noises that are there. This must be quite a shock
on them

Most "pro's" explain that they are just scenery, in the tank, what they
want to show is how lures act underwater, if a fish under those
conditions actually strike, it's gravy on the steak. I've seen many top
pros strike out, and I have seen bass hit anything thrown in the tank,,
for a while, anyway.

I would bet a key worked by many pros in any body of water could draw a
strike every once in a while, when bass are hitting you can catch them
on anything moving, and sometimes anything not moving. The trick is
getting them to bite when they are not in the feeding mode. This is
what fishermen want to learn how to do.

Old September 18th, 2006, 11:08 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.bass
fishtale

C.O. Did you catch any fish?

Angler: Have a look see

C.O.: Why are they still alive..bass and sunfish are not legal baitfish
eh

Angler: Going to put them in an aquarium

C.O. eh I said they aren't baitfish or can i see your license for
transporting these fish

Angler eh

C.O. You have the right to a lawyer........

Angler: eh

C.O. your court date will be Dec 24 at 9 am in Maybury and explain it
to his honour eh