How big is this bass? (See photo)

Old July 21st, 2006, 07:00 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.bass
Gene

Default How big is this bass? (See photo)

We caught this bass ~10PM , July the 14th , 2006 on
Stillhouse Lake, near Killeen, TX - then chunked him
back into the water.

The aluminum net rim measures 22" center to center - so
the bass must be ~ 23" long. It was really fat (thick).

We did not want to take the time to find the scales and measuring
tape, as we really wanted it to survive - which it did:-)

Please post your best guesstimate here - possibly we can come up
with a length and weight range. Just curious:-)

See bass photo he
http://www.io.com/~genes/bass.jpg

Gene

Old July 21st, 2006, 07:20 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.bass
Ken Fortenberry

Gene wrote:
We caught this bass ~10PM , July the 14th , 2006 on
Stillhouse Lake, near Killeen, TX - then chunked him
back into the water.

The aluminum net rim measures 22" center to center - so
the bass must be ~ 23" long. It was really fat (thick).

We did not want to take the time to find the scales and measuring
tape, as we really wanted it to survive - which it did:-)

Please post your best guesstimate here - possibly we can come up
with a length and weight range. Just curious:-)

See bass photo he
http://www.io.com/~genes/bass.jpg

Using estimated girth squared times length divided by 800 yields:

15" squared, 225. 225 times 23, 5175. 5175 divided by 800, 6.47.

So, I guess about six and a half pounds.

--
Ken Fortenberry
Old July 22nd, 2006, 05:45 AM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.bass
Dwayne E. Cooper

On Fri, 21 Jul 2006 13:00:34 -0500, "Gene"
wrote:

We caught this bass ~10PM , July the 14th , 2006 on
Stillhouse Lake, near Killeen, TX - then chunked him
back into the water.

The aluminum net rim measures 22" center to center - so
the bass must be ~ 23" long. It was really fat (thick).

We did not want to take the time to find the scales and measuring
tape, as we really wanted it to survive - which it did:-)

Please post your best guesstimate here - possibly we can come up
with a length and weight range. Just curious:-)

See bass photo he
http://www.io.com/~genes/bass.jpg

I've gotta base my guestimate on the "big toe" that is in the
left corner of the pic as it's the only thing that gives the bass some
scale. Figure a big toe is 2" long. (See
http://uk.answers.yahoo.com/question...5044604AA0Ok7p and
assuming that we're looking at a bigger toe than normal - I heard
Texans have some big feet). I count approximately 11.375 big toes
across = 22.75 length and about 2.75 toes down which is 5.5 inches
broad (obviously a healthy fish). IMO, that would account for about 6
lbs 11oz. based on my "Big Toe" weight formula...which I'd say has to
be about as accurate as any other formula I've seen out there...:

--
Dwayne E. Cooper, Atty at Law
Indianapolis, IN
Old July 22nd, 2006, 07:56 AM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.bass
John

"Gene" opined:
We caught this bass ~10PM , July the 14th , 2006 on
Stillhouse Lake, near Killeen, TX - then chunked him
back into the water.

When I first read your description, sez I, "It aint a him, it's a her."

Then I looked at your pic. Then ran some numbers. Six - seven pounds could
go either way but still probably a female. Then I looked at your pic again.
Your post-spawn bass is not too portly, so it could be male. It's hard to
be certain if it's a he or a she, IMHO. The Texas ShareLunker fingerlings
planted in your lake interbreeding with Northern strain LM Bass make the
calculation hard to say for sure. If she was 8 pounds plus then she would
probably be female since pure Florida strain males rarely get over 7 pounds.
My guess is it is a female.

The aluminum net rim measures 22" center to center - so
the bass must be ~ 23" long. It was really fat (thick).

Yep female lunker bass get that way. Do a Google or Yahoo search and you'll
see LM bass don't get much longer in inches but double and more in weight.

We did not want to take the time to find the scales and measuring
tape, as we really wanted it to survive - which it did:-)

At ten PM she had a good chance of surviving - congratulations. But IMHO
her chances of survival depend more on how exhausted she was, if her gills
were damaged, whether there was any infection where she was hooked and so on
in addition to how fast she was chuinked back into the water.

Please post your best guesstimate here - possibly we can come up
with a length and weight range. Just curious:-)

See bass photo he
http://www.io.com/~genes/bass.jpg

Gene

It is definitely a Big bass (5-6 pounds and up). Thanks for sharing with us
and releasing her to be caught again.

Old July 24th, 2006, 06:15 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.bass
Marty

The New York length-weight chart would place a 23"er at 7-5, but we're a
long way from Texas.