Does Spawn Fishing Hurt Bass Population?

Old April 12th, 2007, 05:39 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.bass
John

Default Does Spawn Fishing Hurt Bass Population?

Oregon Fish and Wildlife thinks so. see (page down) to
Special Request for Crane Prairie Lake: :

http://members.tripod.com/~merilu88/a_tmbc.html

Seems like the previously voluminous but illegally introduced largemouth
bass population at Crane Prairie lake has plummeted. To fix the problem
(restore LM bass to previous huge numbers) ODF&W has requested all June
Crane Prairie tournaments to be cancelled and for the public not to bass
fish in June 07 and 08.

Does spawn bass fishing have any serious affect on bass mortality or
population degradation? Has anyone seen any research anywhere to
substantiate or repudiate ODF&W's position that no over spawn bass fishing
will increase fry survivability and restore LM bass population numbers?

Thanks.
John

Old April 12th, 2007, 07:07 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.bass
Steve @ OutdoorFrontiers

"John" wrote in message
Oregon Fish and Wildlife thinks so. see (page down) to
Special Request for Crane Prairie Lake: :

http://members.tripod.com/~merilu88/a_tmbc.html

Seems like the previously voluminous but illegally introduced largemouth
bass population at Crane Prairie lake has plummeted. To fix the problem
(restore LM bass to previous huge numbers) ODF&W has requested all June
Crane Prairie tournaments to be cancelled and for the public not to bass
fish in June 07 and 08.

Does spawn bass fishing have any serious affect on bass mortality or
population degradation? Has anyone seen any research anywhere to
substantiate or repudiate ODF&W's position that no over spawn bass fishing
will increase fry survivability and restore LM bass population numbers?

I saw recently on television where they interviewed a fisheries biologist
and he said their studies showed that as long as it was primarily a catch
and release event, bed fishing had no discernable effect on a bass fishery
in a body of water. I'll see if I can find the study he was referring to.
--
Steve @ OutdoorFrontiers
http://www.outdoorfrontiers.com

Old April 12th, 2007, 07:36 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.bass
Rodney Long

Steve @ OutdoorFrontiers wrote:

I saw recently on television where they interviewed a fisheries biologist
and he said their studies showed that as long as it was primarily a catch
and release event, bed fishing had no discernable effect on a bass fishery
in a body of water. I'll see if I can find the study he was referring to.

Let me tell you what happened last week
I saw this buck guarding a bed,, so what the heck, I caught him, as I
was taking him off the hook I looked at the bed, and a dozen blue gills
were in a feeding frenzy on those bass eggs, Another fisherman was
trying to catch the gills, he had been fishing there an hour with worms,
and none of these gills would hit his worms, they had only one thing on
their minds, and that was bass eggs. I out the buck back, and he was
chasing off the gills from his bed again.

Catch and release on the spot, probably does little harm to the
population, catch and release miles from their original beds I bet does
a good bit of harm, as any eggs that had been laid are now gill food,
the whole bed will be cleaned.
--
Rodney Long,
Inventor of the Mojo SpecTastic "WIGGLE" rig, SpecTastic Thread,
Old April 13th, 2007, 04:14 AM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.bass
Chris Rennert

I have personally witnessed, and had another friend witness the very
thing Rodney is talking about. Even as the bass was sitting on the bed,
bluegill were coming in a different angles, as the bass chased them
away , 10 other bluegill raided the nest..

Chris
Old April 15th, 2007, 12:00 AM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.bass
Mike

Moral of the story: go bluegill fishing with bait that looks like bass
eggs - spring bluegills taste great! :-)

Old April 15th, 2007, 12:22 AM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.bass
Bob La Londe

"Mike" wrote in message
Moral of the story: go bluegill fishing with bait that looks like bass
eggs - spring bluegills taste great! :-)

I've caught tons of bluegill on red salmon eggs. Probably my second
favorite bluegill bait next to little yellow cheese balls. Right in front
of fresh bits of nightcrawler.

--
Bob La Londe
Fishing Arizona & The Colorado River