Shad Die Off

Old December 19th, 2003, 06:40 AM
Bob La Londe

Default Shad Die Off

At what temperature do the shad start to die off? I am probably asking
water temperature more than anything else.

I have seen mild winters here in the desert when they didn't die. The
following season is when you see shad running six inches.

I am curious though. Most years there is a shad die of and in the spring
you find schools of shad that are les than inch long.

I can only assume those new schools of shad are from hardy shad that didn't
die off. Or do they have eggs that lie dormant through the cold? Somehow
that doesn't sound right.

If we get a really harsh winter will it take more than a season for the shad
to repopulate?

What about other bait fish?

Fathead minnows. I have only really found them in a few sheltered areas, but
they are listed as a bait fish in the regs so again I have to guess they are
pretty common.

And red shiners. Where do you find those? I have only seen large groups of
them a few times in many years. The ones I usually see are an inch to inch
and a half, but last year there were a bunch in one of the local canals that
were 2 1/2 to 3 inches long. Do they always get that big and I have never
seen them, or was it a rare circumstance that they did? If so what likely
gave them the opportunity to grow larger?

--
Bob La Londe
Yuma, Az

Old December 19th, 2003, 08:39 PM
jack schmitt KQ4C

Bob La Londe wrote:

At what temperature do the shad start to die off? I am probably asking
water temperature more than anything else.
.snipped

--
Bob La Londe
Yuma, Az
http://www.YumaBassMan.com
Promote Your Fishing, Boating, or Guide Site for Free
Simply add it to our index page.
No reciprocal link required. (Requested, but not required)

I am not sure about the temp at which die off occurs, but when the temp
in Old Hickory Lake (Cumberland River) reaches about 45 F., the gizzard
shad begin to congregate in the outflow of our electrical generating
steam turbine plants. There are millions there with all sorts of fish
feeding there as well as numerous birds. This outflow flows into the
lake over a very large flat. Fishing is excellent in this area as long
as generation is occurring. It remains good until the spring when the
main lake begins to warm and the shad spread back over the lake proper.
Not sure if you have a generation plant like this in your area, but if
you do, a lot of shad will survive an area, such as this, in the coldest
of winters. I have also fished the cooling outflow of several nuclear
generating plants. Have not seen any glowing fish yet.
Old December 20th, 2003, 04:56 AM
go-bassn

Bob-

1) A shad (or any other fish-kill situation) "die-off" is not a normal
occurrence, nor does it involve the entire population. It comes about as a
result of a drastic & sudden drop in temperature below the shad's acceptable
temperature range.

2) Just like there's big bass & small bass so it goes with other species',
shad included. There's always 6" shad & always 1" shad.

3) The term "baitfish" has nothing to do with how common or uncommon the
fish may be.

Warren
--
http://www.fishingworld.com/MesaTackleSupply/
http://www.outdoorfrontiers.com http://www.secretweaponlures.com

Old December 20th, 2003, 01:47 PM
Steve @ OutdoorFrontiers

"go-bassn" wrote in message ...
Bob-

1) A shad (or any other fish-kill situation) "die-off" is not a normal
occurrence, nor does it involve the entire population. It comes about as a
result of a drastic & sudden drop in temperature below the shad's acceptable
temperature range.

2) Just like there's big bass & small bass so it goes with other species',
shad included. There's always 6" shad & always 1" shad.

3) The term "baitfish" has nothing to do with how common or uncommon the
fish may be.

Although when you live in my area, bass can be considered a baitfish!
--
Steve
OutdoorFrontiers

Old December 20th, 2003, 11:28 PM
go-bassn

Wisconsin - Where the fish are fish & the guides are scared!!!

lol, Happy Holidays Stevo! I know I owe you a phone call...I'm so shwaped!

Soon, I promise...

Warren