The Color Red

Old May 9th, 2007, 08:12 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.bass
johnval1

Default The Color Red

While I was in the reading room perusing the latest issue of BassMaster, and
having read every article 2 or 3 times, I noticed the Shakespeare ad for
Cajun Red line. The ad states the advantage with this line is its
invisibility, particularly after 3 feet of depth where the fish cannot see
the line. This is due to the water filtering out red on the lower end of
the light spectrum, rendering the line more or less invisible to fish. OK,
this makes sense to me, sort of.

I must have half a dozen crankbaits of various sizes in red, most of which
run a depths greater than 3 feet. I have caught good numbers of fish on
these red cranks. Now, how in the hell is this possible if the bait is
mostly or entirely invisible to the fish? I must be missing something in
this equation.

Old May 9th, 2007, 09:58 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.bass
Zimmy

I have also caught onto the irony he red line is supposed to be
the hardest for fish to see in deep water, but yet we are also being
bombarded with "bleeding" lures now, with red hooks and red splotches
supposedly because fish see the red as blood and think the lure is
wounded and instintivly strike. I find it rather humerous that a red
hook in a plastic worm intended to draw a strike might actually be
harder for the fish to see in deep water than the traditional black or
bronze colored hooks. Probably in certain situations, the fish can
see the red and react to it as blood, and in other situations, the red
is not visible as red, and may be harder for the fish to see.

Old May 9th, 2007, 11:23 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.bass
Bob Rickard

What you are missing in the equation is that red does NOT become invisible.
Fish still see it quite well, however they do not see it red. Instead, it
becomes some unknown mysterious shade of gray or whatever. The concept of
red line is therefore seriously stupid, while the money made selling it due
to this confusion is very serious business. Our website at Secret Weapon
Lures is probably the most educational angling site ever, and is available
24/7 for free!

Bob Rickard
www.secretweaponlures.com

.................................................. .................................................. ...................

Old May 10th, 2007, 12:05 AM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.bass
bill allemann

when red is filtered out, you will have black or a shade of grey.
depending on ambient light, etc. the object would look light or dark, like
seeing it on a b&w TV.

Old May 10th, 2007, 12:41 AM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.bass
Mike

Lure Manufactures are in the business of catching Fisherman, first and
foremost. Why do you think the need for newer improved lures, better detail,
more rattle, revolutionary design, cool names. Do you honestly think the
fish can see minute scale details painted on the side or read the cool
sounding name of the lure? Its all about $$$ and whatever it takes to catch
the most prize possesion in the lake; the fisherman's wallet! This is not a
knock on the businessman, afterall its what keeps the economy moving; sales
and promotion.

Mike

Old May 10th, 2007, 01:58 AM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.bass
Bob La Londe

"johnval1" wrote in message
While I was in the reading room perusing the latest issue of BassMaster,
and having read every article 2 or 3 times, I noticed the Shakespeare ad
for Cajun Red line. The ad states the advantage with this line is its
invisibility, particularly after 3 feet of depth where the fish cannot see
the line. This is due to the water filtering out red on the lower end of
the light spectrum, rendering the line more or less invisible to fish.
OK, this makes sense to me, sort of.

I must have half a dozen crankbaits of various sizes in red, most of which
run a depths greater than 3 feet. I have caught good numbers of fish on
these red cranks. Now, how in the hell is this possible if the bait is
mostly or entirely invisible to the fish? I must be missing something in
this equation.

Marketing.

--
Bob La Londe
Fishing Arizona & The Colorado River

Old May 10th, 2007, 02:36 AM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.bass
John B

Bass didn't stop eating the old tried and true lures....the bass
fishermen just stopped using them. I still catch more bass on the old
purple worm than any other lure in my little "shoe box"!

John B

Old May 10th, 2007, 03:04 AM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.bass
Chris Rennert

I'd have to say the depth at which Red, or any other color starts to
disappear is based on water clarity. If the water is gin clear, you'll
be able to see red at 10' or more. If the water is muddy, you won't see
it even a couple inches under the surface. According to Keith Jones
(Berkley's lead scientist), Bass (largemouth) can see distinct colors
very well in a certain color range, including red. Red, like purple,
dark blue, and dark green will all turn "black" as light penetration
becomes minimized. Walleye on the other hand can see into the infrared
spectrum, where (allegedly) bass cannot. The exceptions to the color
rule of course are the fluorescent colors, they will hold their colors
with less light penetration.
In my opinion, the concept of red line being invisible is a joke. I
believe I used to watch Doug Hannon use a sharpee and color blocks of
his line with the marker, so every so many feet you would have a black
line. It looked pretty cool with underwater footage, but we have
fluorocarbon now, I am a HUGE fan of fluorocarbon :-)

Chris

Old May 10th, 2007, 12:33 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.bass
johnval1

"Chris Rennert" wrote in message
It looked pretty cool with underwater footage, but we have
fluorocarbon now, I am a HUGE fan of fluorocarbon

Please don't get me started on fluorocarbon Chris. I have learned to hate
the stuff worse than death itself. Stiff, fragile, difficult to knot, I
find this material has few redeeming qualities. I have tried many different
brands and have been dissatisfied with them all. I just loaded up some
Seaguar for my last effort with this stuff. If it fails, I will retreat to
mono and braid for whatever I need. I have been happy with Fireline Crystal
so far, so it may be my permanent replacement for fluoro.