WHat is Spam

Old May 13th, 2007, 02:01 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.bass
Ken Fortenberry

Default WHat is Spam

Fishking wrote:
"Chris S" wrote:
I Agree completely Rodney,it would be nice to get a heads up every now and
then without that person getting flamed

ahh Ken has nothing better to contribute to this group other than being
a spam cop. maybe he will come to the NWC and explain why he feels the need
to do it. nah he'll never come, that's tournament fishing and probably
represents everything that's wrong in this world to him. But if you do come
Ken, I'll be the first to offer you a cold beer. hell I'll even make up that
spam and eggs laminate for ya!!!..

If anyone wants to talk about fly fishing for bass I can contribute
to the discussion, but you're right I don't have much to contribute
concerning trailers, electronics, trucks, trolling motors, bait
casters, lures or tournaments. I think tournaments are wrongheaded
and would never participate in such a thing but there's a hell of
a lot things in this mean old world worse that tournament fishing
and if *you* want to fish in one, more power to you.

I've been trying to get to a NWC or at the least a fishing trip
with Steve Huber, I like northwoods smallie fishing, but so far our
timing has been off. I doubt I'll make it this year, I started chemo
last Wednesday and I'm not scheduled to be done with it until Nov. 10
but I'll definitely take a rain check on that beer.

As for being a SPAM Kop I am happy to plead guilty as charged. Usenet
newsgroups are for the most part self-policing so that means anyone
named self can be a SPAM Kop including *my*self. Just don't SPAM, it's
bad for business anyway.

--
Ken Fortenberry
Old May 13th, 2007, 02:20 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.bass
Fishking

"Ken Fortenberry" snip
.. Just don't SPAM, it's
bad for business anyway.

Yeah I agree 100%, if it's spam, it's bad for business

Old May 13th, 2007, 06:53 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.bass
johnval1

An infrequent contributor, but a multi-daily reader of this group, I want to
throw in my own .02 to the spam conversation.

I am relatively new to bass fishing. In fact, I just started two years ago
when I retired from a long an undistinguished career with the Feds. While I
know next to nothing compared with so many in this group, I have learned a
great deal from all of you. I have learned fishing techniques (RichZ has
the best drop-shot article ever), places to fish, tackle, lures, line,
etc.

Because of this group, I have purchased plastics from Randy, spinnerbaits
from Steve H., and hooks and rigs from Rodney. Each and every one of these
items have become part of my standard equipment list, and as I have
practiced with them I have increased my skill levels and confidence.
Frankly, I appreciate the efforts these guys and others have made to spread
the word on their own products as well as other product lines.

I do not consider their posts to be spam and have never looked at them as
such. Sorry Ken, but spam in my book is the 15 emails I get each day on how
to add 3 inches to my wankie or how to get a low-cost re-fi on the mortgage.
None of the guys in this group has emailed me with any commercial ads. The
information they provide to me and the opportunity to link to their product
page is so benign as to hardly qualify as commercial enterprise.

Going one step farther, Rodney mailed me some free rigs and even paid the
postage. Steve sent me a SWL lure to test. Randy doubled up part of my
order for some plastics because he felt he was not timely in mailing them
out to me. Thank you all for your generosity and kindlyness.

Ken, I'm sorry to hear about your chemo treatments. I hope everything works
out OK.

Old May 13th, 2007, 07:15 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.bass
Ken Fortenberry

johnval1 wrote:
An infrequent contributor, but a multi-daily reader of this group, I want to
throw in my own .02 to the spam conversation.
snip
I do not consider their posts to be spam and have never looked at them as
such. Sorry Ken, but spam in my book is the 15 emails I get each day on how
to add 3 inches to my wankie or how to get a low-cost re-fi on the mortgage.

No need to apologize to me but most folks, whether they realize it
or not, appreciate that rofb is a non-commercial Usenet newsgroup.
If you allow commercials here, even the benign ones from the good
guys, this place would soon lose an essential part of its character
and usefulness. I've seen it happen in other newsgroups.

snip
Ken, I'm sorry to hear about your chemo treatments. I hope everything works
out OK.

Thanks, John. It is what it is and I take it one day at a time.

--
Ken Fortenberry
Old May 14th, 2007, 03:52 AM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.bass
Chris S

Sorry Ken but is your take on this so called spam....thats just your opinion
and you know they are just like AH everyone got one
Chris S
Replace com with net to e-mail
---

"Ken Fortenberry" wrote in message
t...

Old May 14th, 2007, 12:14 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.bass
Ken Fortenberry

Chris S wrote:
Sorry Ken but is your take on this so called spam....thats just your opinion
and you know they are just like AH everyone got one

No, not just my opinion, the opinion of many people who have
participated in Usenet newsgroups long enough to know that
commercials have no place in a non-commercial newsgroup. If
it's commercials you want instead of honest, unbiased opinion
pick up one of those free magazines at the tackle store, you
know the ones with the gear review of the greatest little reel
on the market right next to the full page ad for the same reel.

Trust me on this, you don't want any part of the Rodney Long
version of rofb, it would be a useless mess.

--
Ken Fortenberry
Old May 14th, 2007, 03:13 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.bass
Bob Rickard

Posting SPAM is NEVER a good business practice. Seeking the advice of
long-time friends is ALWAYS a good business practice. It is time that you
learned the difference, Ken.

Bob
.................................................. .................................................. ...........
"Ken Fortenberry" wrote in message
. ..
In your experience have you found that posting commercials (SPAM)
in non-commercial Usenet newsgroups to be a good business practice ?
And if, in your experience, it actually is a good business practice
why doesn't everyone do it ?

--
Ken Fortenberry

Old May 14th, 2007, 03:21 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.bass
Ken Fortenberry

Bob Rickard wrote:
Posting SPAM is NEVER a good business practice. Seeking the advice of
long-time friends is ALWAYS a good business practice. It is time that you
learned the difference, Ken.

If you want business advice from long-time friends you should send
them an email.

--
Ken Fortenberry
Old May 14th, 2007, 03:50 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.bass
Rodney Long

Ken Fortenberry wrote:
Chris S wrote:
Sorry Ken but is your take on this so called spam....thats just your
opinion and you know they are just like AH everyone got one

No, not just my opinion, the opinion of many people who have
participated in Usenet newsgroups long enough to know that
commercials have no place in a non-commercial newsgroup.

The real question here is "what" constitutes a commercial ?

If any person starts singing the praises of the Honey Toad on this
group, is that a commercial ? if he does so, then list a place on the
internet where he buys them cheap, does this make it a commercial ?

I have never seen you jump anyone who has done this in the past, as long
as this was not "their" web site. It is still a "commercial" the best
kind a manufacturer, or tackle store could get.

Ken I agree with you, we don't want post like this every day, week or
even month.

"Check out my new darting minnow, you can buy them at
http://dartingminnow.com"

Coming from a non contributing person who is only out there trying to
sell his lures. or even from a long time contributing member. This "is"
a commercial, and is even "spam" if it is cross posted to many groups.

No person or company can survive in the tackle industry talking about
his products in a couple of, or even many news groups. It's just not a
very effective means of letting the world know, actually it is Non
productive waste of a persons time, just too few customers. One story in
Bassmaster reaches 2,000,000 bass fishermen. One local tackle trade show
reaches thousands. This group, maybe 100 lurkers and 30 contributers .
It is not worth the time for a manufacturer to spend time contributing
to the group, and that is why "real spammers" just cross post a
"commercial" from time to time. It is only the click of the mouse.

I come here not to make money, I come because I love to fish and to
share my success. I could spend my time "making" money elsewhere,
instead of posting to this group. The time I "waste" here could be used
in contacting more stores to sell my products, which is profitable.

So my time here is just because I like talking to other fishermen, about
fishing, and I do all of my fishing using my rig. No person in the World
can fish my technique better than me. I have thousands of hours on the
water using it. I could care less to my bottom line, if people here
"buy" it, just not enough money here to matter. That's why I sent so
many members free product. I just want them catching more fish.
Eventually, my plan is to supply every regular member here "free"
product for life.(now that's not to mean every lurker who comes by, as
that could get into the thousands of fishermen once the word gets out
all you have to do is come to this group to get "all" your wiggle rigs
for free) This offer is to all the ones who have "already" taken
advantage of my free offer over the last week or two. (a large number of
people here by the way)

I would be talking about the Wiggle rig here much, much, much, more if I
didn't invent it. Just because it is so effective. The reason I have not
is obvious.

--
Rodney Long
SpecTastic tackle company

http://spectastictackle.com/
Old May 14th, 2007, 04:04 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.bass
Ken Fortenberry

Rodney Long wrote:
Ken Fortenberry wrote:
No, not just my opinion, the opinion of many people who have
participated in Usenet newsgroups long enough to know that
commercials have no place in a non-commercial newsgroup.

The real question here is "what" constitutes a commercial ?

If any person starts singing the praises of the Honey Toad on this
group, is that a commercial ? if he does so, then list a place on the
internet where he buys them cheap, does this make it a commercial ?

I have never seen you jump anyone who has done this in the past, as long
as this was not "their" web site. It is still a "commercial" the best
kind a manufacturer, or tackle store could get.

Well, you could call it a commercial I guess, but I'd call it an
endorsement. It's the honest, unbiased endorsement that makes this
place such a valuable resource.

snip
I would be talking about the Wiggle rig here much, much, much, more if I
didn't invent it. Just because it is so effective. The reason I have not
is obvious.

It's far better to let other people praise your product than to
do it yourself.

--
Ken Fortenberry