One of the best days yet!!!!!

Old May 26th, 2007, 03:47 AM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.bass
John B

Default One of the best days yet!!!!!

This was one of the best days I have ever had bass fishing! And I didn't
catch a fish!

I was sitting on the porch of the cabin late in the afternoon...drinking
a cold MGD . I was watching a kid fishing the bank, I guessed his age
at maybe 9 or 10 years old, he was really good at casting....laying his
lure parallel along the bank with great consistency. But he wasn't
getting any action. He finally got near my front porch, and I asked him
how it was going..."Not too good, I haven't had a bite yet!", he
answered.

I looked at his bait, and it was not what I would have selected for the
lake, and the time of day. I didn't say anything about the bait, but
offered him a suggestion....."Do you ever fish plastic worms?", he said,
"Yeaah, but never had any luck with em.".

I told him to wait a minute, and I went inside and got one of my "go to
worms" for this little lake. I helped him rig it up, and told him how I
fished it...I showed him a spot up the bank where there is a grass bed
about 15 feet out, and told him to cast along the grass...let the worm
sink, and leave it sit there for a minute, then pop it up, and let it
fall again.

First cast he didn't come up with anything but some grass on the
worm.....BUT, next cast out, the worm was falling, and he got a hook up
about 3 seconds after the worm hit the water! He landed a nice 2 lb. LM,
and was so excited....but not nearly as much as I was!!!!

Luckily my kid just sent me another "care package", and I had plenty of
my "go to worms" to share some with him.

I loved it when He put the fish back in the water, and said...."Grow
big, I'll be back tomorrow!".

I absolutely love to see kids fishing, but most of the time they are
with a father or grandfather...and I don't interfere with the "expert"
on those ocassions. But this time, it made my DAY! I would rather see a
kid catch a 2 lb. bass, than for me to catch a 10 lb. one.....Now a 12
lb. one, I'll have to think about that for awhile grin!

One great day!!!!!

Just my opinion...but I think It would be a much better world if we
could get more kids excited about fishing!

John B

Old May 26th, 2007, 05:01 AM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.bass
Jerry Barton

John, that made me feel good just reading it, thanks for sharing.

--
Member Of The National Association Of Photoshop Professionals

Old May 26th, 2007, 01:40 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.bass
Fishking

"John B" wrote in message
Just my opinion...but I think It would be a much better world if we
could get more kids excited about fishing!

John B

Your not wrong John, teaching kids to fish also allows you to teach them so
much more. Patience and respect just to name two

I am amazed at how many people I talk to that say "nah never liked fishing
or I did it years ago and it was boring".
Most of those impressions were instilled by the "throw your bobber out and
wait" style. I still see it today with parents and kids at lakes, yelling at
the kids not to reel it in, your gonna get hung up and shouting sometimes,
don't be stupid etc etc. It's a shame. a lot of them will remeber that and
equate it to a bad experience later in life.

I remeber taking a friend fishing for the first time, his attitude towards
fishing well was a lot like what i described above. His first words to me
when I mentioned fishing was "fishing was gay", he now fish's whenever he
can in the pursuit of the green goddess, and is quite a good angler to boot

Old May 26th, 2007, 05:23 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.bass
Bob Rickard

John, that is further proof that those anglers that don't bother to work
with kids like that are the real losers, & they don't even realize their
losses.

Bob Rickard
.................................................. ...........................................

Old May 27th, 2007, 04:20 AM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.bass
Bass_Mr.

Thanks for that story John.
I recently took my 3 yr. old out for his first trip and he caught some
bluegill. The pictures I can always look at but the wonder on his face
leading up to the actual fishing trip, from getting our gear ready to going
to the bait shop, will always stand out for me.

"Bob Rickard" wrote in message
. ..
John, that is further proof that those anglers that don't bother to work
with kids like that are the real losers, & they don't even realize their
losses.

Bob Rickard
.................................................. ..........................................

Old May 27th, 2007, 04:35 AM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.bass
John B

One of the best days yet!!!!!

Thanks for that story John.

I recently took my 3 yr. old out for his first trip and he caught some
bluegill. The pictures I can always look at but the wonder on his face
leading up to the actual fishing trip, from getting our gear ready to
going to the bait shop, will always stand out for me.

========

And thank you for your story! Sometimes in the modern world of
competitive fishing, I think it's easy to overlook the "real" pleasures
of the sport!

John