My First Muskie - What a Day

Old July 18th, 2007, 05:04 AM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing
Rick[_4_]

Default My First Muskie - What a Day

It was last Friday, 7/13/07, and I was fishing Lake Minnetonka in the
western burbs of Minneapolis around 1:00pm. I had read about a little
island (Spirit Island between Wayzata Bay and the main lake body) that
had some rocks offshore that often held decent smallies. I was
pitching a leader-less mid-sized spinnerbait, gold, brown and red, on
8-pound mono near to the shore and pulling it back through the
shallows and drop-off, which looked mostly weedy (I assumed that there
were rocks in there somewhere). About 10 casts into the drift she
came out of nowhere and hammered the lure. I saw her size when she
hit and was just awestruck that anything that big could move that
fast. After a moment it occurred to me that she could be a muskie.
She was. About 15 minutes of breathtaking leaps and numerous powerful
runs (reel drag squealing away) I got her netted, in the boat,
unhooked, photo'd and back in the water. She measured out at a broad
40 inches (just a pup, I know) and was around 20 pounds.

What an experience! In retrospect I was unbelievably lucky. I hooked
her in the only place that a leaderless spinnerbait on 8-pound line
could possibly survive a muskellunge, right in the corner of her
mouth. My reel drag was also luckily set perfectly - when she ran it
spooled out just right, tiring her without snapping my light line or
light rod. Not having had any experience with big fish I only knew
what I'd read and seen on the Saturday morning shows, basically to be
careful and quick, and to resuscitate her by holding the tail and
moving her slowly back and forth to get water (and oxygen) flowing
over her gills. It all came together successfully and after about 45
minutes of the most exciting catch of my life she slowly swam off
under her own power. Simply unbelievable. I can't tell you how
satisfying it all was and how much I hope her big sister is out there
waiting for me next time.