Need help - Electric trolling motor for canoe

Old July 6th, 2007, 12:00 AM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing
Gerald \Brick\ Brickwood

Default Need help - Electric trolling motor for canoe

I have a nice 15' Grumman canoe. When electric trolling motors were
becoming popular during the early 70s, by brother gave me a motor with an
add-on foot pedal remote control. We very quickly learned that the motor
had to be mounted in the bow of the canoe because if the motor was in the
stern you could not turn into the wind. With the motor in the bow turning
to windward meant the motor would pull you around until the canoe was
broadside to the wind, then the wind would push the stern through the rest
of the turn using the motor as a pivot.

My problem now is my old motor and its' remote control have long since worn
out and I want a replacement. These days none of the transom mount motors
have a remote control device and all of the bow mount motors (with remote
controls) are so big they'd sink my canoe. I've also learned that the
customer service people at Bass Pro, Gander Mountain, MotorGuide and
MinnKota would have a hard time finding their a**es with both hands! So
what's the real story? Is there a small manufacturer somewhere adapting
transom mount trolling motors for remote control? Or are today's motors
powerful enough that they just don't need to be mounted in the bow and
windward turns are no problem?

Thanks heaps!

--
Gerald F. Brickwood

Old July 6th, 2007, 04:20 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing
GregS

In article , "Gerald \"Brick\" Brickwood" wrote:
[...]

If you had my canoe, you would have no trouble. Of course, I can stick in the center
board about 3 feet long, or even connect up the sail. Bought that kit 36 years
ago. Also has a flat back for mounting a motor. You can always devise a side
mounted center board. I have seen those before. Got a fine once when I found
out you need registration for a motor.

greg
Old July 6th, 2007, 07:30 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing
Gerald \Brick\ Brickwood

"GregS" wrote in message
In article , "Gerald \"Brick\"

Brickwood" wrote:
[...]

Grumman once made a combination boat, canoe shaped overall, with a square
stern, it could be sailed, paddled, rowed or outboard powered, if IIRC it
was called a "scanoe". So how does your canoe respond to turns to windward
when under power? What is the thrust rating of your motor?

Brick

Old July 6th, 2007, 07:41 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing
GregS

In article , "Gerald \"Brick\" Brickwood" wrote:
"GregS" wrote in message
In article , "Gerald \"Brick\"

Brickwood" wrote:
[...]

With the center board in, it responds very well. I only put a motor on it to go faster.
The square back canoes are a bit slower than a noral one, more drag.

My canoe is in the backyard after moving from the old house, where it has
remained dry for about 25 years. Used to have a very small trolling motor
for it, years ago. Cleaned it up a few years ago and it looked like this.........
http://www.pitt.edu/~szekeres/sub/canoe.jpg

Trailcraft Canoe.

greg