Trilene Sensation will KNOT cut the mustard.

Old March 29th, 2004, 04:41 PM
Bob La Londe

Default Trilene Sensation will KNOT cut the mustard.

I have been playing with monos and flouro Carbons for a while. So far
Seaguar seems to be the best. I had three rigs spooled with Seaguar and
three rigged Trilene Sensation. They both seemed do ok a week ago. I
couldn't find any Seaguar (in the right size) locally to respool for the two
tournaments this last weekend so I respooled all my medium stuff with the
12lb Sensation. The stuff is crap.

I always tie Trilene knots. I have been tieing since Trilene first
introduced their big promotion for setting a line test record on their line
back in the seventies. I hooked a topwater on a twig first thing in the
morning and the knot broke. Whoa! Not cool. I checked the line, and it
seemed ok. I set that rod aside and started throwing Senkos on another
medium action rod spooled with 12LB Sensation. I lost a fish due to an
inadequate hokset shortly there after, so I set my mind to lay into every
single tap like a ton of bricks.

I also started checking ym line and knot every couple casts. Every time I
pulled it over a twig or stick I checked it, and if I had to fight it off a
stick I retied it. My next fish I layed into hard and stuck him good. He
did that under water wiggle that will usually throw a poorly set hook. He
stayed on. I then cranked him towards the boat. When he made his next
lunge the line gave... at the knot. No It did not slip. It broke. Those
amoung you who have tender ears should be thankful you weren't fishing with
me yesterday.

I should have just layed down my rods and borrowed one from my partner, but
being stubborn I figured I must have screwed up somehow. I just couldn't
believe brand new line could be that bad.

I switched to a Palomar knot. I started checking ym knot after every cast,
and retieing it if it even started to get tight. If I hit a twig I retied.
If I got a hit I retied. My next fish wrapped a log on my and pulled off
before I could set the hook. I retied.

Alright fishing slow and careful I got another one on. I set the hook and
backed off the drag. That little guy weighed in about 1.9 and I boated it.

I retied again and reset my drag. I checked the drag to make sure it
slipped where it should, and cast out. As we rounded the point we were
working I nailed another one. I'ld guess it would have runa baout three
pounds. It definitely would have improved our finish by a place or two. I
set hard. I reach for the drag to loosen it up, and as I was spinning the
wheel back the line started to slip just like it should. I let the rod do
its work. I pulled him half way up when he made his next lunge. The drag
was actually slipping and doing its job when the knot broke.

I lost two fish and one topwater due to crappy line. Trilene Sensation will
never grace one of my reels again.

My partner uses Stren Extra Strength. He say that 24LB Stren Extra Strength
is the diameter of regualr 12lb mono. I don't know, but I will check it
out.

I really like the feel of 12lb line on my medium action spinning tackle. I
have tried oPower Pro, but it just doesn't feel right for dead sticking a
soft plastic. It is too limp. I can't see the line moving soon enough.
Most heavier monos are too stif. I can't work a bait properly.

I will probably go back to the Seaguar, but I'll look at the Stren Extra
Strength. The Stren has the beneit of a huge cash pay out if I happen to
catch a state record fish while using it.

--
Public Fishing Forums
Fishing Link Index

webmaster
at
YumaBsssMan
dot
com

Old March 29th, 2004, 10:46 PM
Carlos

Hi Bob,

Occasionally a spool gets out that should have been rejected. I would send
it back to Berkley with a letter. I have had a similar thing happen on a
3000yd spool of Tournament line. Broke several really big fish off with
almost no effort. Then I discovered that I could pull 14lb test and break
it without cutting my hands.

They replaced it no charge, but it cost me several hundred dollars in a club
tournament. Still, for me, they have been great and I use their products.
Never liked Stren.

Carlos