How to pack waders for travel?

Old July 6th, 2009, 10:31 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
riverman

Default How to pack waders for travel?

I figure the best way to store goretex waders is to hang them, but
what about packing them for travel? Do folks roll them up (if so, do
you do from the feet, or from the waist), or do you fold them, stuff
them in a pack, or just lay them haphazard in your travel bag?

I know that tents, for example, want to be stuffed to avoid putting
consistent folds in the same place, potentially causing a leak. But
what do folks do with waders?

--riverman
Old July 7th, 2009, 02:03 AM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
Dave LaCourse

On Mon, 6 Jul 2009 14:31:18 -0700 (PDT), riverman
wrote:

I figure the best way to store goretex waders is to hang them, but
what about packing them for travel? Do folks roll them up (if so, do
you do from the feet, or from the waist), or do you fold them, stuff
them in a pack, or just lay them haphazard in your travel bag?

I know that tents, for example, want to be stuffed to avoid putting
consistent folds in the same place, potentially causing a leak. But
what do folks do with waders?

--riverman

Roll them feet first. Beware of foul odors puffing out as you roll.
Green gasses too!

Old July 7th, 2009, 03:23 AM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
rw

riverman wrote:
I figure the best way to store goretex waders is to hang them, but
what about packing them for travel? Do folks roll them up (if so, do
you do from the feet, or from the waist), or do you fold them, stuff
them in a pack, or just lay them haphazard in your travel bag?

I know that tents, for example, want to be stuffed to avoid putting
consistent folds in the same place, potentially causing a leak. But
what do folks do with waders?

I wear them on the airplane so I'm ready to go when we land. It also
saves on baggage weight limits.

Old July 7th, 2009, 05:09 AM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
Frank Reid[_2_]

When I've had to travel on a plane with my waders, I've used the large
"sports" Space Bag. You only need to roll these to get the air out,
vs the vacuum cleaner. Roll the waders up by the feet, put them in
the sports bag and then push the air out. Very little space is taken
and you have a bag that will keep your clothes clean and away from
Louie's 700-days-on-the-water-per-year funk.
Frank Reid

Old July 7th, 2009, 07:40 AM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
[email protected]

On Mon, 6 Jul 2009 14:31:18 -0700 (PDT), riverman wrote:

I figure the best way to store goretex waders is to hang them, but
what about packing them for travel? Do folks roll them up (if so, do
you do from the feet, or from the waist), or do you fold them, stuff
them in a pack, or just lay them haphazard in your travel bag?

I know that tents, for example, want to be stuffed to avoid putting
consistent folds in the same place, potentially causing a leak. But
what do folks do with waders?

--riverman

Geez, if you had a pair of Louiesque Simms G47 1/2 Superdupersportastic waders,
you could just hit the button above the one labeled "Better Caster," which is
the teleport button...don't let the "**** Off" label on it fool you...Simms just
labels it that way for knowledgeable guides...and they'd beam themselves where
you want 'em...just don't let a guide push it, or you'll find yourself
pallbearing at Michael Jackson's funeral or something...

HTH,
Old July 7th, 2009, 08:29 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
DaveS

On Jul 6, 2:31*pm, riverman wrote:
I figure the best way to store goretex waders is to hang them, but
what about packing them for travel? Do folks roll them up (if so, do
you do from the feet, or from the waist), or do you fold them, stuff
them in a pack, or just lay them haphazard in your travel bag?

I know that tents, for example, want to be stuffed to avoid putting
consistent folds in the same place, potentially causing a leak. But
what do folks do with waders?

--riverman

here is my approach for when you are working out of a suitcace. :
1. travel with lite stocking foot waders.
2. Pack and use water shoe sandals for boots. The new "uber" crocs
with the lug soles and the back strap work great.

the lite stockingfoots roll real small and the ubercrocs with socks
work well as packable second pair of shoes, unless you buy the pink or
hot orange models. With stout socks they work reasonable well as
hiking shoes. Regular crocs (without the strap) won't work as they
come off in current.

Dave
Why I love my van: don't pack, just toss it in if there is a chance
you will need it. Leave it there all the time until you need it. Works
great for tools, shovels, rope, fishing gear, etc. .
Old July 11th, 2009, 01:51 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
Dave LaCourse

On Sat, 11 Jul 2009 11:51:40 GMT, "Tom Littleton"
wrote:

just a matter of luck, IMHO.

No. It's how many falls on rocks and deadfalls you can survive. No
luck involved.

Back in Maine..... for my grandson's wedding. No fishing......sigh

Old July 11th, 2009, 01:52 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
riverman

wrote:
I figure the best way to store goretex waders is to hang them, but
what about packing them for travel? Do folks roll them up (if so, do
you do from the feet, or from the waist), or do you fold them, stuff
them in a pack, or just lay them haphazard in your travel bag?

I know that tents, for example, want to be stuffed to avoid putting
consistent folds in the same place, potentially causing a leak. But
what do folks do with waders?

--riverman

Roll them feet first. *Beware of foul odors puffing out as you roll.
Green gasses too!

That's what I do, also, but I have my suspicions that the reason my
Orvis waders gave out was that I was rolling them tightly from the
feet, putting stress on the seals in the instep and heel. I find it
interesting that the manufacturers don't tell you the best way to pack
waders tightly for travel.

--riverman

BTW, got the G3s. It was a screaming deal, so all my cost-benefit
analyses were for naught. :-)