Bow, Missouri and Crowsnest

Old October 26th, 2004, 11:20 PM
Larry L

Default Bow, Missouri and Crowsnest

Well, it's raining outside and except for a Striper trip or two my fishing
season is about over....

SO

time to start dreaming about next year G

I'm interested in some details about fishing the Bow ... trailer camping
spots that are close and cheap ( spell that F-R-E-E and you are in my budget
range ;-) to the Bow ..... shuttle services, I have a couple kickboats and
plan to use them, suggested shuttle services? ... again $15 or $20/ day adds
up on a 5 month fishing trip... cheap = good idea .... maybe there is a
place to camp where I could leave my bike at the trailer, drive to put in,
float to camp, ride bike to get truck? ( heah, I can dream )

Missouri - cheap trailer camping ? I remember I stayed at "mid-way" or
some such before and there were rigs in an ugly parking lot at the Craig
bridge .... are there other, nicer, places for the budget impaired? and
shuttle ... if I park at Craig, put on waders, grab my rod case and put my
WaterMaster on my back .. backpack style, with my thumb out ... will rides
up to the dam be easy to get? For some reason I have no clear memory ...
how far is it from the Craig bridge up to the put in? easy bike ride? If
trying to save shuttle costs seems just TOO cheap ... feel free to send
money ... email me at for details on where
to mail the money

Crowsnest .... the type of water that a "flat water, fish the hatch" type
old grump might like?

Old October 27th, 2004, 07:02 AM
Mark Tinsky

In article
, "Larry L"
wrote:

Missouri - cheap trailer camping ? I remember I stayed at "mid-way" or
some such before and there were rigs in an ugly parking lot at the Craig
bridge .... are there other, nicer, places for the budget impaired? and
shuttle ... if I park at Craig, put on waders, grab my rod case and put
my
WaterMaster on my back .. backpack style, with my thumb out ... will
rides
up to the dam be easy to get? For some reason I have no clear memory
how far is it from the Craig bridge up to the put in? easy bike ride?
If

Not great camping on the Mo. All public spots are next to the
Frontage rd or near the freeway I think it s $7 a nite and lot s of
road noise .

I ve always gotten rides easily as many on the frontage road as
most of the traffic is other fly fishers. Craig bridge to the Dam
is 6.2 miles an easy day s float and bike ride. Not much private
camping around but if you can put up with the road noise it s not bad
MT

Old October 27th, 2004, 01:18 PM
Conan the Librarian

Larry L wrote:

Crowsnest .... the type of water that a "flat water, fish the hatch" type
old grump might like?

I dunno about that, but as a newbie fishing only dries, I had an
excellent time on the Crow at the end of August/beginning of September.
The biggest problem was choosing what areas to fish, as there was a
lot of excellent-looking fish-holding water. I spent a fair amount of
time just below the E. Hillcrest Bridge and near the Frank Slide, but
there are other areas that are supposed to be even better (like below
Lundbreck Falls).

The areas where I went were mostly pretty much flat water, but I saw
only some minor hatches in the time I was on the water. However, that
didn't stop the rainbows from coming up to a #16 parachute Adams (and
that was the *only* fly I had any consistent luck with).

Hopefully Tim Lysk will be along shortly to give you the real inside
scoop on the Crow.

Chuck Vance

Old October 27th, 2004, 05:18 PM
Larry L

"Warren" wrote

The Mo is an overfished, hyped up tail-water fishery that has ****ty
weather and even worse weather. End of subject. If you want to go
further and talk about access, fishing et al I can.....

The few days I was there "overfished" was most certainly true ...

but the weather wasn't bad ... what makes the weather ****ty? wind? ... I
didn't think you were allowed to live in Montana if you weren't too tough to
even notice the weather G

as for hyped up --- I wish I knew of a good fishing hole ( with easy access
for a old man that often has problems hobbling across the back yard), that
wasn't hyped up ... trick seems to be to enjoy what you really find and
ignore the sales pitch ...

Old October 27th, 2004, 10:28 PM
Willi & Sue

Larry L wrote:

as for hyped up --- I wish I knew of a good fishing hole ( with easy access
for a old man that often has problems hobbling across the back yard), that
wasn't hyped up ... trick seems to be to enjoy what you really find and
ignore the sales pitch ...

With all the requirements you have as to what makes for a "good fishing
hole" and your "access problems" , the choises are slim and undiscovered
roadside places are pretty much nonexistent.

All of us would love to fish for free rising 24" trout in a place that
we have to ourselves....................

Willi