Delaware Water Gap area question

Old February 12th, 2008, 05:06 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
Want2Fish

Default Delaware Water Gap area question

Hello,

I'm fairly new to Fly Fishing. I started last spring in locally stocked
streams. Also, I was lucky enough to fish the Provo River, UT with a
friend. I'm hooked!

My question:

Can you Fly Fish for trout in Delaware Water Gap area? If so, when is a
good time of season and flies? If not would I have to go further North?

Many thanks...
/IMG

--
Want2Fish
Old February 12th, 2008, 06:48 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
Steve Cain

On Feb 12, 12:06 pm, Want2Fish
wrote:
Hello,

I'm fairly new to Fly Fishing. I started last spring in locally stocked
streams. Also, I was lucky enough to fish the Provo River, UT with a
friend. I'm hooked!

My question:

Can you Fly Fish for trout in Delaware Water Gap area? If so, when is a
good time of season and flies? If not would I have to go further North?

Many thanks...
/IMG

--
Want2Fish

You certainly can. Try the smaller tributaries in the Water Gap. They
usually have wild brown trout, small but bright. Beautiful fish, and a
handful on a short 3wt or 4wt, but 10" is likely to be the biggest
you'll see all day. They'll be agressive but easily spooked, so
practice ninja fishing. My experience is that you'll usually only get
one hit from each pool - the commotion of a hookup is enough to send
all the rest into hiding. They're mostly freestone streams, so I like
to fish on top with attractors and terrestrials, but when that doesn't
work, try a small generic nymph. Say #16 Stimulators, #12 hoppers and
#18 ants or BHPN and GRHE in 16-18. I'm sure that mayflies and
caddisflies are present, but I've never seen them hatch. I've only
fished there in the summer afternoons, so I don't know how things fare
otherwise, but with lots of overhanging cover, time of day doesn't
seem critical and the water usually stays pretty cold. Check the
regulations at PFBC - I think a couple of the tributaries have odd
seasons or special regulations.

The river itself has some nice smallmouth. I've caught good sized fish
trolling a small olive half-and-half behind the canoe, even on bright
days in August. Wading can be problematic, since you might be looking
at a hole 10' deep or a gravel bar barely covered, and it is fairly
swift up there. Get an NJ and a PA license so you can fish from either
bank. If you have one or the other, you can fish the whole river from
a boat, but not from the opposite bank.

Don't forget to hike up to Dingman's Falls - the view from the top is
worth it. You might also note that the NJ side of the river has fewer
park services and amenities than the PA side. We just pull over
wherever and fish on the NJ side, but the PA side is pretty
structured.

At one picnic area, we saw a Hasidic jewish clan and a Muslim family
sharing watermelon on a hot September afternoon. It seems that all you
need for peace in the Middle East is a trout stream and a couple of
Sugar Babies.
Old February 12th, 2008, 08:58 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
Daniel-San[_2_]

"Want2Fish" wrote ...

Can you Fly Fish for trout in Delaware Water Gap area? If so, when is a
good time of season and flies? If not would I have to go further North?

I'm no expert, and pretty far from being a local, but I got to fish the Big
Flat Brook a few times in the past few years. Beautiful place.

Some pics:
http://outdoors.webshots.com/album/349283878CSLcGv

-Dan

Old February 12th, 2008, 10:00 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
Joe D[_2_]

Want2Fish,

The Brodheads is near the gap, as is The Big Bushkill. The Ressica
Falls Boy Scout Reserve has something like seven miles of fly fishing
only water. Tobyhanna Creek isn't far from there either.

There are a bunch of wild brook trout streams you can try too. Go the
'Pennsylvania Fish & Boat Commission's' (http://tinyurl.com/34beke)
website to get a list of those, along with all the stocked creeks in
the area. Look under Monroe County.

--
Joe D

-\"If people don't occasionally walk away from you shaking their heads,
you're doing something wrong.\" John Gierach-
Old February 12th, 2008, 10:43 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
Don Phillipson[_3_]

"Steve Cain" wrote in message

. . . Get an NJ and a PA license so you can fish from either
bank. If you have one or the other, you can fish the whole river from
a boat, but not from the opposite bank.

Is this common on US state boundary waters? It surprises
a Canadian, used to interprovincial agreements that approve
fishing any boundary water with a licence from only one
jurisdiction, either side. --Just curious . . .

--
Don Phillipson
Carlsbad Springs

Old February 12th, 2008, 10:57 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
Pete[_12_]

It's based on an agreement between NJ and PA.

There's a similar but slightly different agreement between NJ and NY
regarding Greenwood Lake.

--
Pete
Old February 12th, 2008, 11:04 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
Joe D[_3_]

Steve Cain;106361 Wrote:
Get an NJ and a PA license so you
can fish from either bank. If you have one or the other, you can fish
the whole river from a boat, but not from the opposite bank.

Steve,

A PA or NJ license is valid for fishing from a boat -OR- from either
shore.

Joe

Old February 13th, 2008, 12:20 AM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
Steve Cain

On Feb 12, 6:04 pm, Joe D wrote:
Steve Cain;106361 Wrote:

Get an NJ and a PA license so you
can fish from either bank. If you have one or the other, you can fish
the whole river from a boat, but not from the opposite bank.

Steve,

A PA or NJ license is valid for fishing from a boat -OR- from either
shore.

Joe

--
Joe D

-\"If people don't occasionally walk away from you shaking their heads,
you're doing something wrong.\" John Gierach-

Right you are. Sorry for the mistake. You'd still need a license for
either side to fish the tributaries, though.

Old February 13th, 2008, 12:42 AM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
Joe D[_4_]

Don Phillipson;106370 Wrote:

Is this common on US state boundary waters? It surprises
a Canadian, used to interprovincial agreements that approve
fishing any boundary water with a licence from only one
jurisdiction, either side. --Just curious . . .

--
Don Phillipson
Carlsbad Springs
(Ottawa, Canada)

Don,

It depends on the states involved and the agreements they've made, if
any. As an example NY & PA, and PA & NJ have reciprocal agreements on
the Delaware River.

In contrast, on this same river there are no reciprocal agreements for
hunting. So a duck hunter would have to have the license of the state
whose shore he is on and in the case of boats, of the state of ingress
and egress. It gets tricky with islands... better know what state the
island belongs to.

Joe

Old February 13th, 2008, 01:49 AM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
JeffK[_21_]

Haven't lived in NH for a while, but the Connecticut R between NH and
Vermont was an odd one. As part of the agreement when Vermont split
off from NH, NH got the whole Connecticut R and you used to need a NH
license to fish either shore. Don't know if that is still the case.
I'm glad NY, NJ, and PA are more amiable about fishing the Delaware.

Delaware Water Gap. On the NJ side Dunnfield Creek and Van Campens are
popular so I am not outing anything. Go early before the hikers,
swimmers etc get out and the fish get spooky. Van Campens is one of
two streams in NJ that have wild brook, brown, and rainbow trout.

On the PA side there are a bunch of small native trout streams and I
will leave it at that.

Resica Falls is like a private club - the $20 annual permit to fish
there is a good deal.

The unihabited islands in the Delaware between NJ and PA above Treasure
Island I think are mostly federal lands. The disputes over these
islands in the early 19th century got ugly so the US Government stepped
in a took control. In the lower river many of the islands were claimed
by the first settlers and have clear title. The one I am not sure of
is Minisink Island which has had farms since the mid 1700's, so that
must be in NJ.

--
JeffK