Vacation Ideas?

Old April 4th, 2009, 04:46 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
Daniel-San[_2_]

Default Vacation Ideas?

So hypothetically, you've got a week or so in early June for a trip. SWMBO
is looking for a place with a nice cabin, good food, mebbe some shopping,
and nice views (mountain-type stuff would be ideal.)

Plus, (and here's the good part) she's thinking somewhere out west with a
nice bit of trout water nearby. Yay.

Where would you go?

Some restrictions -- not a whole lotta walking, as SWMBO is pre-spawn.
(Spawn due in late July). Would like a place that has the touristy crap
within maybe 20-30 min drive. Not too remote, as pre-spawn condition
necessitates a certain measure of secure feeling and all that. Thinking
resort-type place, but not looking for some super-luxury sort of thing.

Also, not completely a fishing trip. I'll likely get a few days of fishing,
while doing a few days of touristy stuff.

She likes to sit on a porch and read while soaking up the views.

Budget: certainly not unrestricted, but also not looking to go "on the
cheap."

tl;dr: place out west that Michelle and I will enjoy?

thanks,
Dan

Old April 4th, 2009, 04:58 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
Dave LaCourse

Well, it is not "out west", but it is beautiful, fairly inexpensive,
wonderful fishing, and tourist traps are but 45 minutes away.

http://lakewoodcamps.com/

Best fly fishing on the East Coast for big brookies, landlocked
salmon, and togue (laketrout in a river).

Cabins are rustic, each with its own woodburning stove, porch with
rocking chairs, kayaks/canoes, boats with motor, and the food is very
good.

Plus, you get to fish the famous Rapid River. Who needs "out west?"
d;o)

Old April 4th, 2009, 05:01 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
Ken Fortenberry[_2_]

Daniel-San wrote:
So hypothetically, you've got a week or so in early June for a trip. SWMBO
is looking for a place with a nice cabin, good food, mebbe some shopping,
and nice views (mountain-type stuff would be ideal.)

Plus, (and here's the good part) she's thinking somewhere out west with a
nice bit of trout water nearby. Yay.

Where would you go? ...

Well, not west. Not for the fishing anyway. Early June is
typically not the best time due to runoff.

I bet you'd both like Asheville, North Cackalacky. Lots of
touristy stuff, beautiful mountains, everything on your
list but out west. And on the plus side, thar's trout in
them thar hills !

My wife and I used to go to the Grove Park Inn every year
for the Arts and Crafts Conference and we really like the
place.

http://www.groveparkinn.com/

Good luck !

--
Ken Fortenberry
Old April 4th, 2009, 05:53 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
notbob

On 2009-04-04, Daniel-San wrote:
So hypothetically, you've got a week or so in early June for a trip. SWMBO
is looking for a place with a nice cabin, good food, mebbe some shopping,
and nice views (mountain-type stuff would be ideal.)

Plus, (and here's the good part) she's thinking somewhere out west with a
nice bit of trout water nearby. Yay.

I live in CO, in the headwaters of the Arkansas river. I'm in a snowbird
park that is empty in Winter and pretty full ....but not entirely!.... in
Summer. The primary tourist business is rafting and flyfishing. I'm sure
you could find a place to fit your needs. It's a valley at about 7500ft
elev and one can view the Collegiate Peaks (14K+) from almost any location.
The Ark is considered to be one of the premier trout rivers of the West.
Here's some info:

http://www.fourteenernet.com/nathrop...ng/lodging.asp
http://www.coloradoheadwaters.com/

HTH
nb
Old April 4th, 2009, 06:27 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
~^ beancounter ~^

Cody, Wy......
Old April 4th, 2009, 06:28 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
~^ beancounter ~^

" I live in CO, in the headwaters of the Arkansas river "

nice spot........

Old April 4th, 2009, 09:18 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
DaveS

On Apr 4, 8:46*am, "Daniel-San" wrote:

Two suggestions on the Olympic penninsula of Washington State.

1. Lake Crescent, West of Port Angles. Hospital in P.A. Lots of
mountains and the Elwa River.All kinds of fishing options, river, lake
(some unique trout), salt, mountains, hospital in P.A. Hotsprings.
Ferry over to Canada (Victoria) daytrip, a few good restaurants, Port
Townsend, Washington's Victorian seacoast town on way and back.
Horizon Air will fly you there from Seatac. Or car it up via my
Island.

2. Lake Quinault, Amanda Park. Lake and river, Indian guides in
dugouts on the Quinalt river, porch views to die for, maybe a bit far
to a big hospital, big country, beautiful but not for those freaked
out by logging (folks got to eat). Decent food. Did I mention
Steelhead?

If you are interested in Eastern Washington say so and I have a few
ideas. Its big sky, open country, wheat, steppe, lots of good wine,
some good food, and a river or two. I am getting to know the Walla
Walla country better.

Old April 5th, 2009, 02:35 AM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
asadi

"Ken Fortenberry" wrote in message
Daniel-San wrote:
[...]

I just got back from Brevard...stayed south of Brevard in the Black Forest
Campground. I can't vouch for their cabins but the campground is 5 star..god
it's the antique shoppe, consignment shop capita of the northern
hemisphere...and there is the Davidson River and any other number of
streams...waterfalls...Cradle of Forestry...Brevard Music Center....waaaay
cool place. The only downside is the at the couple we went with, well, he
does not fish...hehehe

john

Old April 5th, 2009, 03:55 AM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
Wheatshucker

Daniel-San wrote:
So hypothetically, you've got a week or so in early June for a trip. SWMBO
is looking for a place with a nice cabin, good food, mebbe some shopping,
and nice views (mountain-type stuff would be ideal.)

Plus, (and here's the good part) she's thinking somewhere out west with a
nice bit of trout water nearby. Yay.

Where would you go?

Try www.rockcreektroutbums.com

Big selection of cabins. Walk to Rock Creek. Drive to Missoula.

-Bob
Old April 5th, 2009, 05:17 AM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
Tim J.

Daniel-San wrote:
So hypothetically, you've got a week or so in early June for a trip.
SWMBO is looking for a place with a nice cabin, good food, mebbe some
shopping, and nice views (mountain-type stuff would be ideal.)

Oak Creek Canyon - AZ. Sedona and Flagstaff in arm's reach. She'll love you
for it, and you'll love you for it, too. http://tinyurl.com/kavcw
--
TL,
Tim