Trout Poachers -- Caught on Film

Old March 24th, 2008, 10:07 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
Daniel-San[_2_]

Default Trout Poachers -- Caught on Film

http://www.miguellasa.com/photos/ssp...lbumID=1001578

(I doubt the DNR folks will be writing too many tickets to these unlicensed
fishermen . . .)

-Dan

Old March 24th, 2008, 11:17 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
Halfordian Golfer

On Mar 24, 5:07 pm, "Daniel-San"
wrote:
http://www.miguellasa.com/photos/ssp...lbumID=1001578

(I doubt the DNR folks will be writing too many tickets to these unlicensed
fishermen . . .)

-Dan

Great photos Dan! Thanks for sharing the link.

Now...are those stockers?

Best regards,

Halfordian Golfer
Old March 24th, 2008, 11:37 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
Derek

"Daniel-San" wrote in message
. net...
http://www.miguellasa.com/photos/ssp...lbumID=1001578

(I doubt the DNR folks will be writing too many tickets to these
unlicensed fishermen . . .)

-Dan

Very very fine images my pal will be dead jealous we both fish and
now he is getting serious about nature photography.
Derek
(uk)

Old March 25th, 2008, 02:26 AM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
Dennis[_11_]

:foto:Those were some of the most amazing photos I have ever seen..
Absolutly fantastic.

--
Dennis
Old March 25th, 2008, 03:24 AM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
Opus--Mark H. Bowen

Is the bird an Osprey? It appears to be grasping with the fish head forward.
I read somewhere, some time back that Osprey are the only birds of prey to
direct fish head forward--aerodynamics, I suppose.

I've actually seen an Osprey do just this on Mountain Island Lake in
Charlotte, NC serveral years ago.

Op

"Dennis" wrote in message
news

:foto:Those were some of the most amazing photos I have ever seen..
Absolutly fantastic.

--
Dennis
Newsgroups
=----

Old March 25th, 2008, 03:59 AM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
rw

Opus--Mark H. Bowen wrote:
Is the bird an Osprey? It appears to be grasping with the fish head forward.
I read somewhere, some time back that Osprey are the only birds of prey to
direct fish head forward--aerodynamics, I suppose.

I've actually seen an Osprey do just this on Mountain Island Lake in
Charlotte, NC serveral years ago.

Those are outstanding photos.

Ospreys are very common on the Salmon River near Stanley. You can watch
them fishing while you're eating lunch on the deck at Wooley's. Stocker
rainbows are the perfect size for them -- an osprey all-you-can-eat buffet.

I've seen them, after catching a fish, then catch an updraft over the
town, then circle around to get enough elevation to glide to their nests
at the foot of the Sawtooth Mountains. They always carry the fish head
first, like a torpedo.

Last summer I watched through binoculars two ospreys harassing a bald
eagle up high over the river. It was way cool. Ospreys don't like bald
eagles because the eagles will try to steal their catch.

One time at Henry's Fork Bruce Hopper and I had just waded into the
river at Box Canyon when an osprey plunged into the river about ten feet
from us.

I've seen an underwater video of an osprey diving into a lake. They
actually swim with their wings, and they do it very well.

Old March 25th, 2008, 11:03 AM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
Joe McIntosh[_3_]

"Daniel-San" wrote in message
. net...
http://www.miguellasa.com/photos/ssp...lbumID=1001578

(I doubt the DNR folks will be writing too many tickets to these
unlicensed fishermen . . .)

-Dan
Joe the

Elder adds--good stuff- a few years ago during a western roff clave we saw
an eagle knock a duck out of the sky--then fly down and fetch it out of the
water and then fly off with a big meal !

Old March 25th, 2008, 11:49 AM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
Andy[_6_]

Truely amazing pictures! Every bird and animal has to eat, it's part of
Mother Nature's master plan. Therefore, I can't fault them for taking
the trout. I'm sure they also eat their share of suckers, chubs, and
whatever else is catchable at the time.

--
Andy
Old March 25th, 2008, 02:59 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
JT

"Daniel-San" wrote in message
. net...
http://www.miguellasa.com/photos/ssp...lbumID=1001578

(I doubt the DNR folks will be writing too many tickets to these
unlicensed fishermen . . .)

Great photos!

We have several Osprey and a family of Bald eagles (every now and then a
Golden eagle will show up) on our lake. Is great fun to watch them fish
throughout the spring and summer. They mostly just take fish, however I have
watched them take ducklings on two occasions, once when we had a family up
for a BBQ, the kids had just been down feeding a momma duck and her babies
(which I normally don't allow, since they become a problem) shortly after
they finished, a Bald eagle came down and snatched up a duckling, off it
went cheep, cheep... Earlier they thought the eagles were so neat, after the
snatching, they didn't like eagles anymore. It was pretty funny.

As someone else mentioned, the Osprey will try and gang up on the eagles if
they are by themselves, If there are two eagles together fishing, the Osprey
stay away. It's odd, smaller birds, Osprey, and Black birds (crows) will all
harass the bald eagles, I've never really understood why?

JT

Old March 25th, 2008, 04:51 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
hayseed

The osprey's talons kinda "lock on" to the fish so the prey doesn't flip
off of the "hook". Osprey have been known to drown after they go under
water and latch on to a fish that is too big for the bird; the fish
dives and the osprey can't (or won't) let go.

We are lucky enough to have several osprey nests along our stretch of
the river and enjoy watching (and listening) to the families that move
in for the summer.

-Bob