OT online back up

Old May 3rd, 2008, 07:16 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
Larry L

Default OT online back up

My kid is going to be traveling out of the country for several months with
his laptop. He spends many hours each week writing and I feel he needs to
back-up all that work regularly.

Does anybody know/ have experience with/ recommend any online back-up
services ... I don't even know such things exist, but I'm betting they do.

Thanks

Old May 3rd, 2008, 07:21 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
[email protected]

On Sat, 03 May 2008 18:16:34 GMT, "Larry L"
wrote:

My kid is going to be traveling out of the country for several months with
his laptop. He spends many hours each week writing and I feel he needs to
back-up all that work regularly.

Does anybody know/ have experience with/ recommend any online back-up
services ... I don't even know such things exist, but I'm betting they do.

Thanks

No experience with online backup services (never had a need), but if
it's just document-sized files, just have him email them to you or
anyone else for safe-keeping. And if it's a LT with an optical burner,
also burn backups for "local" archive without the need for online
access. A CDRW should be able to store more writing than he could
possibly produce and a DVDRW, well, obviously, much more.

TC,
Old May 3rd, 2008, 07:29 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
rw

Larry L wrote:
My kid is going to be traveling out of the country for several months with
his laptop. He spends many hours each week writing and I feel he needs to
back-up all that work regularly.

Does anybody know/ have experience with/ recommend any online back-up
services ... I don't even know such things exist, but I'm betting they do.

Thanks

First of all, it's a really bad idea for him to carry around a laptop
with sensitive or valuable information. There's too much of a danger of
it being stolen. If I were him I'd backup everything before I left and
purge or encrypt all files that I'd never want anyone to get at. I'd
also make sure that my usernames and passwords were expunged from any
"keychain."

I wouldn't rely on on-line backup services. Aside from security issues,
the Internet connections may be slow and unreliable, depending on where
he's going.

I'd get a cheap and compact USB or Firewire hard drive for backup. If
he's only backing up small files, like letters to and from home and
other writing and a few photos, a tiny flash drive or two would work fine.

Old May 3rd, 2008, 08:48 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
Daniel-San[_2_]

"Larry L" wrote ...
My kid is going to be traveling out of the country for several months with
his laptop. He spends many hours each week writing and I feel he needs
to back-up all that work regularly.

Does anybody know/ have experience with/ recommend any online back-up
services ... I don't even know such things exist, but I'm betting they do.

I use a combination of flash drive and gmail. Save on hard drive, save on
flash drive, and every so often email to self. Likely not perfect, but it's
cheap and triple redundant, so it would take quite the disaster to destroy
my work.

-Dan

Old May 3rd, 2008, 09:38 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
Dave LaCourse

wrote:

Does anybody know/ have experience with/ recommend any online back-up
services ... I don't even know such things exist, but I'm betting they do.

Carbonite offers a free trial for 15 days. We have it ($50/year). It
has saved Joanne several times when she has had a crash. Whatever you
select on your hard disc is backed-up. You can access it
whenever/wherever.

http://carbonite.com/

Old May 5th, 2008, 06:01 AM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
CalifBill

"Larry L" wrote in message
My kid is going to be traveling out of the country for several months with
his laptop. He spends many hours each week writing and I feel he needs
to back-up all that work regularly.

Does anybody know/ have experience with/ recommend any online back-up
services ... I don't even know such things exist, but I'm betting they do.

Thanks

Get a couple of 2 gig flash drives and they will hold most of what he could
generate, And lots if Internet points that will copy those flash cards to
CD for $2-3. I back up the camera cards that way. Last time just the flash
card as backup, but lost 1 camera card without a backup. I copied my camera
cards to CD in the Galapagoes for about $2. Prime example of places that do
that in the middle of no where.

Old May 5th, 2008, 02:58 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
[email protected]

On May 3, 12:16 pm, "Larry L" wrote:
My kid is going to be traveling out of the country for several months with
his laptop. He spends many hours each week writing and I feel he needs to
back-up all that work regularly.

I agree with what everyone else has said. Firstly, _definitely_ back
up important data (everyone!). Computers and disks do fail (although,
oddly enough, I've never had a disk failure myself, in 25 years or so
of computing). I'd also go with at least two backup copies, not just
one. The flash drives are great if you are just saving documents and
not alot of audio/video/pictures. Burning CD/DVDs is good too. I've
never used an online backup service, but in travelling it might be a
really good idea. It would automatically provide an off-site backup,
which would be extra important if you're on the road. In any case,
don't pack all of your backup media in the same piece of luggage...

Jon.
Old May 5th, 2008, 03:53 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
Larry L

wrote in message

In any case,
don't pack all of your backup media in the same piece of luggage...

the idea that ALL his stuff could get stolen is why I wondered about online
storage ...

He's an aspiring writer and by the time he heads home his laptop will
contain hundreds of hours of work, not so much "sensitive' stuff as just
plain work. Since it's all text and small files I had him install an FTP
client and gave him a pw-protected folder on my web site where he can upload
those files. We're more concerned about theft than drive failure, but
I'll give him an external drive for a trip present. I have a Maxtor
that comes with 'ghost-like' cloning software that stores an image of the
entire HD in case of drive failure and also has pretty cool software for
syncing two machines, if you work on the same files on both, and simple
back-up of defined folders too. It's physically small and light weight,
combined with FTPing his most precious stuff to the website it will cover
most threats, stored seperately from the laptop

thanks all for the input

Old May 5th, 2008, 04:39 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
Dave LaCourse

On Mon, 05 May 2008 14:53:07 GMT, "Larry L"
wrote:

the idea that ALL his stuff could get stolen is why I wondered about online
storage ...

Carbonite, Larry. Accessable wherever you are. Complete electronic
backup.