Out Today

Old September 11th, 2005, 03:18 PM
alwaysfishking

Default Out Today

Woke at 5 a.m to 47 degree temps, went back to bed but couldn't sleep, so up
at 6 and off to the store for some coffee. Hit the lake at 7.a.m and
launched to a flat lake, no wind and the sun was starting to shine. I
motored over to the bridge where I have been having some good results
lately. First cast was immediately picked up, I set the hook and the fish
took off, I got it to the boat and it was a decent fish between 2-3 lbs. I
fished for a bit more but no more bites.

I decided to head under the bridge to the other side of the lake to fish
the weeds, before I head under the bridge I noticed a canoe on the other
side with a father and son fishing. They both had some of the biggest wal
mart sal****er rods available, looked like 6/0 hooks with bunchs of
nightcrawlers on them. I asked if they were coming through and the father
says " No, we are doing pretty good here" I asked what they caught and he
told me 2 bass and something with a lot of teeth. He then starts reeling
like a mad man and gets a small bass. As he is getting it in the net I cast
a wacky rig under the bridge. I let it fall and the line went tight, I
thought it had settled down in the rocks there as the line was tight but not
moving. I yanked up hard thinking I could pop it free and then I realized
rocks don't swim as this fish sucked up my wacko and was heading towards
the canoe. It leaped into the air about 5 feet from the canoe and I knew it
was a real good fish. I just hoped my pansy hook set would hold up with the
2/0 octopus hook. Well it did, as a few moments later I had the fish at the
boat and grabbed it by the lips. I didn't have a scale but I figured around
7 lbs. I did have a tape measure with me and decide that would be the next
best thing.. 23 inch length and a 15 inch girth. I couldn't remember the
formula for weight on bass so I found this
website(http://www.bassresource.com/bassfish...alculator.html), not
sure how accurate it is but I would think it was really close. It came up as
a 6.6 lb bass. I noticed the fish had some real weird black spots, not sure
if that's a normal thing or not so I took some pictures. Posted at a,b,p,f

Old September 11th, 2005, 06:45 PM
Joe Haubenreich

Nice size fish, Randy. 23 inches sounds about right for a 7 pounder, but a
fish that length can fluctuate in weight according to season, health, and
how its been feeding. 15 inches in girth makes me think it might be a little
shy of seven.

So.... after your demonstration, did you offer any equipment advice to dad?

In some lakes, I've noticed a significant proportion of bass with dark
markings like that. And it seems to fluctuate from year to year.... but
that's just among the relatively small number of bass I took. I asked a
couple of marine biologists about it, and they told me it's benign, whatever
it is... doesn't seem to affect the bass's health or quality of the meat.

Joe
__________________________

Old September 11th, 2005, 09:23 PM
alwaysfishking

I tried talking to him a bit, he was amazed that I caught the fish on a
rubber worm as he put it. I told him that the rods and reels he was using
were not quite what he should be using, but he explained he was just
vacationing for the weekend and that's all he had, They were catching fish
so I guess they were happy, I know I am when I'm catching em

"Joe Haubenreich" (removethis)swljoe-at-secretweaponlures.com wrote in
message ...

Old September 12th, 2005, 02:23 AM
Ronnie Garrison

alwaysfishking wrote:
.. I noticed the fish had some real weird black spots, not sure
if that's a normal thing or not so I took some pictures. Posted at a,b,p,f

Those black spots are fairly common, especially on some lakes. Not
sure what causes them. One of the TV fishermen talked a lot about them
on one of his shows a couple of years ago. Hank Parker, I think, maybe
on Kentucky Lake

Ronnie

http://fishing.about.com
Old September 12th, 2005, 03:23 PM
Jim Laumann

Randy

Congrats - very nice fish....

Jim

Old September 13th, 2005, 12:15 PM
Ken Blevins

Randy- It seems to me that you catch more fish accidentally than I do on
purpose.Damn I'd like to have fish like that around here.
Ken Blevins
PS- Sat nite tourny, 14 boats -28 men 5 dinks 0 keepers