Gloves in COLD weather

Old November 19th, 2008, 12:51 AM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.bass
Mike Getz

Default Gloves in COLD weather

The little lake I fish has gone on a roller coaster ride in water temps
since Friday, I had a 52, 58, 52 and 30 the past 4 days. My ring finger on
my right hand was getting painful, I have a pair of glacier gloves, but was
wondering if there's something better out there, I don't do mittens, I like
keeping my fingers ready cast and remove fish from hooks.

Old November 19th, 2008, 02:37 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.bass
Ken Fortenberry[_2_]

Mike Getz wrote:
The little lake I fish has gone on a roller coaster ride in water temps
since Friday, I had a 52, 58, 52 and 30 the past 4 days. My ring finger on
my right hand was getting painful, I have a pair of glacier gloves, but was
wondering if there's something better out there, I don't do mittens, I like
keeping my fingers ready cast and remove fish from hooks.

I've found that the neoprene glacier gloves are practically useless
without liners and if you're wearing liners you lose the utility
of the finger slits. I like fingerless ragg wool gloves.

--
Ken Fortenberry
Old November 19th, 2008, 06:21 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.bass
Bob La Londe

"Ken Fortenberry" wrote in message
Mike Getz wrote:
The little lake I fish has gone on a roller coaster ride in water temps
since Friday, I had a 52, 58, 52 and 30 the past 4 days. My ring finger
on my right hand was getting painful, I have a pair of glacier gloves,
but was wondering if there's something better out there, I don't do
mittens, I like keeping my fingers ready cast and remove fish from hooks.

I've found that the neoprene glacier gloves are practically useless
without liners and if you're wearing liners you lose the utility
of the finger slits. I like fingerless ragg wool gloves.

--
Ken Fortenberry

When its really cold there isn't much that really helps and still leaves
some dexterity to fish, but something I have found that helps a little and
still allows me to fish is the mechanics gloves I have started to see around
in the last coupple years.

Bob La Londe
www.YumaBassMan.com

Old November 19th, 2008, 10:16 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.bass
Marty[_2_]

Fingerless gloves don't do it for me since it's my fingertips that freeze.
So I'm generally not fishing if gloves are needed. I never cease to be
amazed at how the ice fishing guys can do it.

Old November 19th, 2008, 10:27 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.bass
Steve @ OutdoorFrontiers.com

"Mike Getz" wrote in message
The little lake I fish has gone on a roller coaster ride in water temps
since Friday, I had a 52, 58, 52 and 30 the past 4 days. My ring finger
on my right hand was getting painful, I have a pair of glacier gloves, but
was wondering if there's something better out there, I don't do mittens, I
like keeping my fingers ready cast and remove fish from hooks.

As someone on this board who has probably more time spent fishing in
sub-freezing temperatures, I feel I can speak with some authority here.

Neoprene, waterproof gloves do little to keep your hands warm. They have
little insulating properties and trap sweat/moisture against the skin,
actually increasing the discomfort.

I've found nothing better to fish in when temperatures are cold than what
Mr. Fortenberry recommends, wool fingerless gloves. They offer the most
dexterity, and wool still has insulating capability even when wet.

When I'm cold weather fishing, I keep two pairs with me, one inside my
clothing to keep warm and dry while I'm wearing the other pair. Then,
if/when they do get wet, I'll wring them out and swap them with the warm/dry
pair. My body heat warms and dries the other pair then.

If it's REALLY cold (i.e. subzero), then I'll add a pair of chemical
handwarmers to the pockets of my jacket to warm my hands. But I rarely have
to resort to this, as if it's that friggin' cold, I just stay home now. But
occasionally, when I can't avoid it, I still fish in those kinds of temps.
--
Steve @ OutdoorFrontiers
http://www.outdoorfrontiers.com

Old November 19th, 2008, 10:29 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.bass
John B

Fingerless gloves don't do it for me since it's my fingertips that
freeze. So I'm generally not fishing if gloves are needed. I never cease
to be amazed at how the ice fishing guys can do it.
=========

I use to do a lot of ice fishing in Indiana....loved it! We would build
a fire on the ice, wear really warm clothes, and "gloves"!

Since we used "tip-ups", no need to hold the pole....just take off the
gloves long enough to get the fish off the hook and throw em on the ice!

But I am with you now! When it gets so cold I "hurt"....fishin can wait
for a warmer day!

John B

Old November 19th, 2008, 10:43 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.bass
What me worry?

On Wed, 19 Nov 2008 16:27:22 -0600, "Steve @ OutdoorFrontiers.com"
backed into a tree whilst ridin inna park
then wrote:

"Mike Getz" wrote in message
[...]

Don't forget to get the small hand warmer packs. You can put them in
the back of the glove against the back of your hand. That's where all
the blood passes and the hand warmer keeps it toasty thus keeping the
fingers warmer too.

It works for riding/fishing/working.

dan
Old November 20th, 2008, 02:22 AM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.bass
Mike Getz

Thanks all for the input. I went today water was 41 and the air was upper
30's and the fingers where fine? I don't ice fish here the ice is to thin.
I have wool fingerless gloves, but as someone else said it's the tips that
get cold. wind was not as bad, maybe that's what did it?

I fish every chance I get as long as the water isn't hard, been doing it at
least 10 years now, can't be I'm getting soft in my old age

Old November 20th, 2008, 11:43 AM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.bass
Carlos

Those wool gloves that expose the fingertips are the way to go when
fishing. When running down the lake or river, use something a lot
warmer. Snowmobile gloves or insulated mittens. Those warmers inside a
double layer mitten might be just the ticket.

Old November 20th, 2008, 07:33 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.bass
Bob La Londe

"carlos" wrote in message
Those wool gloves that expose the fingertips are the way to go when
fishing. When running down the lake or river, use something a lot warmer.
Snowmobile gloves or insulated mittens. Those warmers inside a double
layer mitten might be just the ticket.

I use my Thinsulate thermal motorcycle gloves when running up the river on a
cold winter morning. They work great.

Bob La Londe
www.YumaBassMan.com