John Holt--novelist?

Old June 25th, 2004, 02:05 AM
Joe McIntosh

Default John Holt--novelist?

Spent the afternoon between morning tennis match and evening tennis match
read ing "Hunted"--a novel by John Holt who has produced a couple of
Montana fishing guide books.
A story about a good guy rancher who fights the assault of civilization. I
suggest he sticks to fishing guides,
By the way wolfgang --what can we call the other authors who brag on his
book on the back cover?Please repay the favor?
They compare his writing with Stegner and Proulx. Heck it is more like
something Homer Simpson would enjoy-yes Charlie i do know who he is

Old June 25th, 2004, 03:11 PM

On Fri, 25 Jun 2004 01:05:13 GMT, "Joe McIntosh"
wrote:

Spent the afternoon between morning tennis match and evening tennis match
read ing "Hunted"--a novel by John Holt who has produced a couple of
Montana fishing guide books.
A story about a good guy rancher who fights the assault of civilization. I
suggest he sticks to fishing guides,
By the way wolfgang --what can we call the other authors who brag on his
book on the back cover?Please repay the favor?
They compare his writing with Stegner and Proulx. Heck it is more like
something Homer Simpson would enjoy-yes Charlie i do know who he is

I haven't had a chance to read it yet, but Greycliff Publishing Company
of Helena, Montana is (or has) apparently reprinting Macdonald Hastings'
"Montague Cork" series, if you're into mysteries. The first, "Cork on
the Water" lists a pub date of September 1999. If you, or anyone else,
is interested in more info, I have an advance review copy (which I
though a little odd as it a reprint of a reprint, but...), with
associated material, and don't mind posting further info from it (and
for the terminally picky, it is an ARC sent under publisher's cover
letter to us, and so, yes, I am authorized to quote from it).

TC,

Old June 25th, 2004, 03:31 PM
Wolfgang

"Joe McIntosh" wrote in message
Spent the afternoon between morning tennis match and evening tennis

match
read ing "Hunted"--a novel by John Holt who has produced a couple

of
Montana fishing guide books.
A story about a good guy rancher who fights the assault of

civilization.

Edward Abbey explored more or less that theme about as well as it can
be done, I think, in "The Brave Cowboy".

I suggest he sticks to fishing guides,
By the way wolfgang --what can we call the other authors who brag on

his
book on the back cover?

"Shills" springs immediately to mind. Others have used less
flattering terms, but I don't recall what they are just now......and
this IS a family newsgroup.

Please repay the favor?

....in kind. Yes, virtually all of them do. It's a business like any
other. Very few survive for long without understanding and bowing to
the rules.

They compare his writing with Stegner and Proulx.

I've never made it through a work by Proulx......only read enough to
know that I'll never make it through a work by Proulx. Seems to me
that comparing anything to Stegner AND Proulx is an exercise in
contortion. It may be fun.......but you WILL pay for it in the
morning.

Heck it is more like
something Homer Simpson would enjoy...

Sorta like ROFF, huh?