Material Storage

Old March 31st, 2011, 03:15 AM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly,rec.outdoors.fishing.fly.tying
Frank Reid © 2010

Default Material Storage

Material storage is always difficult. Boxes don't collapse down for
travel. Unless the box is clear, you can't see what's in there.
Envelopes are flat, but not clear. Also, if you used either of the
above, you are subject to bugs in your materials (trust me on this
one, chucked a bunch of material last year).
Few years ago, there was a guy out of Florida that invented and sold
something called the "Fly Hive." Fly Hive was a set of 10 clear
plastic, gusseted envelopes with a velcro-secure flap. Inside was a
white, stiff-plastic divider. These all fit into a square black
bag.
Beauty of this set was that you could put materials into either side
of the envelopes or "files" as they call them and instantly see what
you had. Material stays flat, secure and, most importantly, bug free.
Files close up perfectly. Problem is that they were expensive (whole
kit was about 85 bucks) and, now, the company has gone out of
business.
Just found a guy in Florida (The Fly Hatch Tampa Angler) who is
selling replacement files. He had the files, but no center divider/
stiffeners. Talked to him online and told him about the corrugated
plastic used in yard signs. Sti. ff, light-weight and VERY
inexpensive.
Long story short, if you're looking for something to store your
materials in, go on Ebay and buy some of these. I just bought 30. I
can put the materials in one file for a couple of flies and take it to
do a demo, or, as I have it now, the materials well divided.. I.e one
for grizzly hackles, with dyed on the other side. Next for brown
hackles..... By the way, one file will hold about 18 buck tails.
Standard disclaimer, I have nothing to do with Fly Hive or the Fly
Hatch Tampa Angler. By the way, these things are pretty well bug
proof. Cost is 3.99 per file.
Frank Reid
Old March 31st, 2011, 03:19 AM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly,rec.outdoors.fishing.fly.tying
Frank Reid © 2010

On Mar 30, 9:15*pm, Frank Reid © 2010 wrote:
[...]

By the way, what I tried to say is that he used the corrugated plastic
as stiffeners. Works great.
Frank Reid
Old March 31st, 2011, 04:26 AM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly,rec.outdoors.fishing.fly.tying
Frank Reid © 2010

On Mar 30, 9:19*pm, Frank Reid © 2010 wrote:
[...]

By the way.. I say by the way a lot!
Frank Reid
Old April 2nd, 2011, 07:40 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly,rec.outdoors.fishing.fly.tying
Tom Littleton

On 3/30/2011 11:26 PM, Frank Reid © 2010 wrote:

By the way.. I say by the way a lot!
Frank Reid

haven't checked out this corner of USENET in months. This made it
worthwhile.g
Tom
.....by the way....

Old April 3rd, 2011, 02:05 AM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly,rec.outdoors.fishing.fly.tying
Frank Reid © 2010

On Apr 2, 1:40*pm, Tom Littleton wrote:
On 3/30/2011 11:26 PM, Frank Reid 2010 wrote:

By the way.. I say by the way a lot!
Frank Reid

haven't checked out this corner of USENET in months. This made it
worthwhile.g
....by the way....

Got word from Petah Charles (who finally retired on the 1st) that he
may be in the vicinity of Penns during the last week of May.
Frank Reid