Your ideal fishing trip

Old December 15th, 2004, 05:30 AM
Henry Hefner

Default Your ideal fishing trip

Warren's thread about best bass trip of '04 started me thinking. What is
your IDEAL bass trip? I would imagine for some it would be big fish,
others numbers, or location, or spending time with friends.

For me, in order of importance:
1. My ideal trip would have to be shared.

2. The location would have nice scenery with as little evidence of
man as possible.

3. Generally if I could decide one over the other, I'd rather catch 20
small keepers than 2 or 3 larger ones in the same amount of time. UNLESS
one of those large ones was a real trophy!
Old December 15th, 2004, 06:50 AM
RichZ

1. My ideal trip would have to be shared.

I agree. But I'll even add to it that it has to be shared with my son.

2. The location would have nice scenery with as little evidence of
man as possible.

I don't care much abou the scenery, but I do agree about the lack of
evidence of man. I'd rather fish a rocky drop or a weedbed than a dock
any day of the week. Again, I'll add a little to it. I like to see
wildlife when I'm fishing. Ospreys, eagles, beavers, otters, deer, bear,
etc. Anything but cormorants and mute swans.

3. Generally if I could decide one over the other, I'd rather catch 20
small keepers than 2 or 3 larger ones in the same amount of time. UNLESS
one of those large ones was a real trophy!

I'd rather catch 20 or 30 larger bass.

Oh. Wait. I've pretty much descibed every trip I made to Champlain this
year.
Old December 15th, 2004, 07:52 AM
Calif Bill

"Henry Hefner" wrote in message
Warren's thread about best bass trip of '04 started me thinking. What is
your IDEAL bass trip? I would imagine for some it would be big fish,
others numbers, or location, or spending time with friends.

For me, in order of importance:
1. My ideal trip would have to be shared.

2. The location would have nice scenery with as little evidence of
man as possible.

3. Generally if I could decide one over the other, I'd rather catch 20
small keepers than 2 or 3 larger ones in the same amount of time. UNLESS
one of those large ones was a real trophy!

The fish are a bonus most of the time. Watching the bald eagle at a couple
of lakes I fish, and the other wildlife helps to recharge the human battery.
I can have a great day in the Sacramento Delta, even when the fishing is
tough. River otters, beavers, may even catch other fish. Hooked a 40+
pound salmon on a rattletrap in about 1993 while fishing for bass. fought
it for 2 hours before line failed. 6# test, and had it to boat 3 times and
partner said it was not ready. I said, net it. I am ready! I had been
catching 1-3# bass. Fishing Shasta last year, I hooked a trout with
parasites, was a floater when I released it. Looked back up to see the
osprey about 3' off the water with the fish, about 40' behind the boat. Can
not beat those memories. Fishing Don Pedro, one spring years ago. I landed
about 150 bass and 1 large bluegill. Bass and bluegill were all the same
size. just could not get through the small fish to get a big'un. One other
guy had landed a decent fish and that is the only big fish I knew about that
day.

Old December 15th, 2004, 04:57 PM
Charles Summers

Ok... the NWC is going to have to be on Champlain this year!

Anyone want to second this motion?

Old December 15th, 2004, 05:00 PM
Charles Summers

OR...

Float and Fly fishing on Dale Hollow. Oh yeah, I'm close enough to do that
anyway. Wonder what's stopping me?