Northwoods Classic 2004

Old May 2nd, 2004, 12:21 AM
Steve @ OutdoorFrontiers

Default Northwoods Classic 2004

OK, now that The Southern Classic is in the books, now it's time to start
talking and planning for the Northwoods Classic.

The NWC will be once again in Rhinelander, Wisconsin, the weekend after
Labor Day. This year, the dates of the NWC will be September 10 and 11.
Tentatively, I'm going to give you guys one more crack at Boom Lake, but
that's still open. I'll keep everyone up to date on the lake with plenty of
time to get lake maps from Fishing Hot Spots if you want.

Unlike the Southern Classic, the NWC is an individual tourney. That means
that the weight totals are carried over from Day One to Day Two, and the
three highest weights bring home cash, and trophies. There is a Big Bass
award. Also unlike TSC, there's a prize for the Largest Non-Bass caught.
On Boom Lake (and most other lakes in this area) there are some big muskies
and pike cruising around. The biggest muskie I ever saw was on Boom Lake, a
fish that easily was in the upper 50 to low 60 inch class.

The entry fee for the NWC is $50 for the two days, plus an additional $10
for the Big Bass award, $60 for you "non-math" types. All entry fees will
be returned to the contestants.

I'll be notifying you of accomodations, but I imagine that we'll be staying
at the Claridge Best Western Motor Lodge once again. I'll talk to the
manager to see about special pricing for all participants.

Practice begins as soon as anyone wants to get their butt to Rhinelander.
I'll see about rental boats for those interested as well. Last year, if I
remember correctly, it cost around $150 a day for a pretty nice rig.

Thursday night, there will be a pre-tourney meeting held at the Rhinelander
Cafe and Pub. For those of you that haven't yet attended, the food is
great, and the prices reasonable. Plus, they know how to mix cocktails
properly

On Friday, if you're a boater and you brought a companion that you'd like to
fish with, that's fine. Friday night, after the tournament is done for the
day, the boats are loaded and everyone is showered and cleaned up, we're off
to the Al-Gen Supper Club for their World Famous Friday Night Fish Fry. If
for no other reason, you really need to show up for the eating on Friday
night. If you can imagine, lightly breaded fish, french fries, cole slaw,
potato salad, pasta salad, potato pancakes and apple sauce, along with three
types of home baked bread, all served family style, all you can eat, for
$8.95. If you leave this place and you can still walk normally, I'll be
amazed, that doesn't happen very often. Friday night, we'll pair up the
boaters and non-boaters by random drawing.

Saturday night, after the tournament, we'll all meet at Hacienda Huber for
laughing, eating, laughing, drinking, laughing, awards, laughing, eating,
laughing, drinking, prize drawings, laughing, and a little bit of story
telling. Then we'll all sing Rugby Songs..... and maybe laugh a little
more....

So, start planning to keep that time open and make plans to attend the NWC.
Once again, I'll be building a rod of some sort for the first place prize,
another rod for second place, and there'll be a rod for Largest Non-Bass as
well.

All it takes to be qualified to attend is to be a member of the ROFB or
OutdoorFrontiers. And it appears to me that if you're reading this, you're
now qualified to attend. Don't worry about whether you're "good enough" or
not. Boom Lake has beaten up on some pretty darned good anglers and has
been pretty good to newcomers to tournament fishing.

In case you haven't figured it out by now, these tournaments are more of a
reason to get together and have a good time than about the competition.
Come to Wisconsin's beautiful Northwoods, have fun, put faces to names, meet
new friends and who knows? You might even get some fish!

Hey, if I can drag my boat all the way to Florida, there's no reason you
guys can't make it up here!
--
Steve @ OutdoorFrontiers
http://www.outdoorfrontiers.com

Old May 2nd, 2004, 01:30 AM
go-bassn

Funny you should mention this Stevo, I just broke the news to the wife
today - I AM THERE!

I'll be flying in early on the 8th & leaving sometime on Sunday the 12th.
Tell Gil & Bunny to get that spare bedroom ready, I'm taking up Gil on his
offer this time!

Now for my Boom Lake strategy. Based on the fact that I targeted bass last
time & all I caught was that giant watch-a-me-call-it (what the h-ll was
that???), this time I've got my sights set on taking the top non-bass prize
& all the fame & fortune that goes with it. This way I figure I'm a shoe-in
to finally catch a Boom Lake bass!

I can't wait for September.

The weekend after I get back from Wisconsin I'm off to the Hudson River &
from there I'm off to Champlain for the Everstart. Bring it on!

Warren

"Steve @ OutdoorFrontiers" wrote in
message ...

Old May 2nd, 2004, 03:22 AM
Jerry Barton

I'll give it my best to be there. Maybe if Sean can't make it, Drew can. I'm
not sure if they're playing ball together that week or not.

Old May 2nd, 2004, 03:24 AM
Chris S

Steve I'll be there as well. I do believe that Jim LaBee and Dave Johnson
will be there also.
CYA then

--
---- Chris S ----

( replace com with net to E-mail)

Old May 2nd, 2004, 03:54 AM
Jim Laumann

Steve

Count me in!

Jim
Old May 2nd, 2004, 05:34 AM
COOL LURES

Well Steve, I'm gonna try for it this year. I have to see how much time off
I have.

Not sure if I would make up a batch of lures if Im in it. I would hate to be
beaten with my own creations! LOL

Jeff

--
WWW.COOLLURES.COM
The Lures that put Fish on Ice!

Old May 2nd, 2004, 09:36 AM
Bob

Yipes!

Already allocated all of my vacation time (and most of my spare money) for
the year! Going to have to take some time with the wifey and go over the
budget and see if we can sqeeze me in with taking the hit of a couple of
days off from work with no pay. With #1 son heading off to college it might
not happen. But on the bright side I only have about a 3 hour easy drive to
get there!

Will try hard, but may be a late entry if at all :-)

Have to go and get some sleep, my dad is dragging me off to the cranberry
marshes in a few hours to try for some bass.

Bob

Old May 2nd, 2004, 02:24 PM
Steve @ OutdoorFrontiers

"go-bassn" wrote in message
Funny you should mention this Stevo, I just broke the news to the wife
today - I AM THERE!

***That's good news Warren, dink bass are trembling in anticipation.

I'll be flying in early on the 8th & leaving sometime on Sunday the 12th.
Tell Gil & Bunny to get that spare bedroom ready, I'm taking up Gil on his
offer this time!

***I'll tell Gil when I see him.

Now for my Boom Lake strategy. Based on the fact that I targeted bass

last
time & all I caught was that giant watch-a-me-call-it (what the h-ll was
that???), this time I've got my sights set on taking the top non-bass

prize
& all the fame & fortune that goes with it. This way I figure I'm a

shoe-in
to finally catch a Boom Lake bass!

***THAT my friend was a trophy Bowfin. Who knows, you might be able to take
the trophy if you can catch that fish again. But, you are up against Jim
"The Pikemaster" Laumann. Pretty stiff competition indeed.

I can't wait for September.

***I certainly can! I mean, I look forward to all of you guys coming up and
having all the fun, but right now, it's 33 degrees. I want summer right
now!

The weekend after I get back from Wisconsin I'm off to the Hudson River &
from there I'm off to Champlain for the Everstart. Bring it on!

***Sounds like a plan.

Old May 2nd, 2004, 02:28 PM
Steve @ OutdoorFrontiers

"alwaysfishking" wrote in message
I'm in.

And looking forward to seeing you again.