RFD: rec.outdoors.bassfishing.tournaments

Old May 23rd, 2006, 05:14 PM posted to news.groups,rec.outdoors.fishing.bass,rec.outdoors.fishing.fly,rec.outdoors.fishing

Default RFD: rec.outdoors.bassfishing.tournaments

"Alaskan420" wrote in

Scott,

It appears to me that your arguement against such a newsgroup has
become a political one. My understanding it that this process is
supposed to revolve around anticipated useage and viability. You may
have a point, (I do not agree), but this arguement does not belong
here.

Of course it belongs here. It's an RFD, you opened discussion, and I'm
discussing it. I don't I've given my reason why I think the proposed group
belongs in rec.sports and not rec.outdoors. There's a decision-making
process, and if the powers that be don't believe my arguments are relevant,
they will ignore them. I'd propose opening it up to the rest of the
rec.outdoors hierarchy.

Keep in mind that I fish and enjoy tournaments, but not bass tournaments.
I don't consider any of my tournament experiences to be among the most
conservation oriented of my pasttimes, and I think that there should be a
larger conservation component for memebers of the rec.outdoors hierarchy.
I have zero problems with rec.sports.anything in this case.

--
Scott
Reverse name to reply
Old May 23rd, 2006, 05:18 PM posted to news.groups,rec.outdoors.fishing.bass

I'm a bit confused Scott - why is the categorization of a tournament-based
newsgroup here or there even a concern to you? If you don't subscribe you
don't see it, right?

Further, for thousands of people tournament fishing is all about recreation,
myself included. There's nothing I'd rather do than fish a bass tournament,
it's my favorite form of relaxation. If I take the cash that's just a bonus
;-), but cash has never been nor will it ever be my main motivation for
fishing tournaments.

It's all about the fun bro, being outdoors, & relaxing.

Warren
--
http://www.warrenwolk.com
http://www.tri-statebassmasters.com

"Scott Seidman" wrote in message
. 1.4...
(Jonathan Kamens) wrote in
:

Scott Seidman writes:
My personal opinion, and others may differ, is that I think that a
tournaments-based group like this has little place in the "rec"
hierarchy. There's little recreational about tournament bass fishing.

I'd be interested in knowing whether you are someone who
participates in such tournaments, as that would help me
evaluate whether you are qualified to characterize whether
such tournaments are "recreational."

No, I don't fish bass tournaments. Perhaps that makes me better qualified
to determine the recreational status. From what I see many participants
are concerned about prize money, recognition, and sponsorships. As to
whether I'm qualified to comment on what belongs in the fishing
hierarchy, I hunt, I've fished since the age of 5, I fish freshwater for
everything from panfish to salmon. I've fished in a variety of
tournaments on Lake Erie and Lake Ontario, some of which had bass
divisions. None were catch and release tournaments, and I wouldn't
promote a newsgroup in the rec.outdoor.fishing hierarchy for any of these
tournaments, either. I have no objections or arguments with tourney bass
fisherman, but I think of it as an organized sport, and not the sort of
individual pursuit that the rec.outdoor hierarchy represents for me.

The scope of the rec.* hierarchy may be broader than you
think. To see what I mean, take a look at a list of all the
rec.* newsgroups. the meaning of "rec.*" on the Usenet does
not entirely correspond to what is classified as
"recreational" in real life.

Maybe you're right, but once a competition is established, I'd put it in
the rec.sport hierarchy, and not the rec.outdoor hierarchy. The
rec.outdoor hierarchy is very small, and I still think that a new group
with a focus on tournament bass fishing shouldn't be in the rec.outdoor
hierarchy. Perhaps the best example would be something like
rec.sport.orienteering-- a completely outdoor sport that many serious
outdoorsmen and women particpate in, with much less sponsorship than bass
fishing, and its not in the outdoor hierarchy. I think its fine if some
tournament activity appears in rofb. In fact, some does, and it's
perfectly appropriate.

I'll point out that I don't think I've ever seen any objection to any
post on tourny activity on rofb--and there are plenty of tournament
anglers that participate. Not many of them choose to routinely use this
forum that way, despite the total lack of objection. It makes you wonder
how necessary the proposed group is.

--
Scott
Reverse name to reply

Old May 23rd, 2006, 05:20 PM posted to news.groups,rec.outdoors.fishing.bass

Scott Seidman writes:
I think that there should be a
larger conservation component for memebers of the rec.outdoors hierarchy.

Why?

Of all the rec.outdoors.* charters in
ftp://ftp.isc.org/usenet/news.announce.newgroups/rec, only one
of them, the one for rec.outdoors.mational-parks, has the word
"conservation" in it. On what do you base your belief that
rec.outdoors.* should be confined to conservation-oriented
newsgroups?

--
Help stop the genocide in Darfur!
http://www.genocideintervention.net/
Old May 23rd, 2006, 05:33 PM posted to news.groups,rec.outdoors.fishing.bass,rec.outdoors.fishing.fly

"WARREN WOLK" wrote in

I'm a bit confused Scott - why is the categorization of a
tournament-based newsgroup here or there even a concern to you? If
you don't subscribe you don't see it, right?

I don't think its overly concerning me. It's an RFD, and I think the
proposed group would fit better in rec.sports than rec.outdoors. This is
what an RFD is for.

FWIW, I'd vote yes when it comes to it in a call for votes if it were in
rec.sports, and I'd vote no if it were in rec.outdoors. I think others
might take the same position, and some my be OK with it in either case.

Also, the revised charter still specifies bass tourneys. I thought the
revision was to open it to all tourneys, which I think is an excellent
idea.

--
Scott
Reverse name to reply
Old May 23rd, 2006, 06:07 PM posted to news.groups,rec.outdoors.fishing.bass

(Jonathan Kamens) wrote in news:e4vcnp$7ec$3
@jik2.kamens.brookline.ma.us:

On what do you base your belief that
rec.outdoors.* should be confined to conservation-oriented
newsgroups?

Personal opinion.

--
Scott
Reverse name to reply
Old May 23rd, 2006, 06:26 PM posted to news.groups,rec.outdoors.fishing.bass

Scott,

It seems your entire purpose here is to be a stick in the mud. You've posted
incorrect information several times. Is there a purpose to your negativity
and disinformation? You even have non-proponents calling you on this.

Richard Hamel
Proponent
rec.outdoors.fishing.tournaments

Old May 23rd, 2006, 06:32 PM posted to news.groups,rec.outdoors.fishing.bass,rec.outdoors.fishing.fly

On 23 May 2006 16:33:02 GMT, Scott Seidman came
hurtling out the barroom doors, even while saying:

"WARREN WOLK" wrote in

I'm a bit confused Scott - why is the categorization of a
tournament-based newsgroup here or there even a concern to you? If
you don't subscribe you don't see it, right?

I don't think its overly concerning me. It's an RFD, and I think the
proposed group would fit better in rec.sports than rec.outdoors. This is
what an RFD is for.

FWIW, I'd vote yes when it comes to it in a call for votes if it were in
rec.sports, and I'd vote no if it were in rec.outdoors. I think others
might take the same position, and some my be OK with it in either case.

Also, the revised charter still specifies bass tourneys. I thought the
revision was to open it to all tourneys, which I think is an excellent
idea.

You have to wonder if there's a reason why there isn't even a
"rec.sports.fishing" root to hang a .tournaments group in the first place.

My theory: Those in the know know fishing isn't a sport.

rec.outdoors.fishing.tournaments makes the most sense...

/daytripper (hell, let's *really* pull the pin on this grenade ;-)
Old May 23rd, 2006, 06:37 PM posted to news.groups,rec.outdoors.fishing.bass

"Alaskan420" wrote in

Scott,

It seems your entire purpose here is to be a stick in the mud. You've
posted incorrect information several times. Is there a purpose to your
negativity and disinformation? You even have non-proponents calling
you on this.

Richard Hamel
Proponent
rec.outdoors.fishing.tournaments

All I've expressed is opinion. If you've got any real wrong facts you'd
like me to correct, just let me know what they are, and I'll be happy to
correct them.

--
Scott
Reverse name to reply
Old May 23rd, 2006, 06:41 PM posted to news.groups,rec.outdoors.fishing.bass

daytripper wrote:

You have to wonder if there's a reason why there isn't even a
"rec.sports.fishing" root to hang a .tournaments group in the first place.

On UseNet if there's already a group that makes sense it is used.
There is already a rec.outdoors.fishing yet both rec.outdoors and
rec.sports have appeal. Since one's already there, use it as the
root.

rec.outdoors.fishing.tournaments makes the most sense...

Agreed.

Old May 23rd, 2006, 06:45 PM posted to news.groups,rec.outdoors.fishing.bass,rec.outdoors.fishing.fly

daytripper wrote:
[...]

Yeah, crossposting between roff and rofb is always good
for a few laughs no matter what the topic. ;-)

Back during _THE GREAT RENAMING_ that created the Big 8
in the first place one of the most contentious arguments
was where to put fishing. Back then I was one of those
who did not want to see fishing split off into outdoors.
Who in the hell ever fishes *indoors* ? But our side lost,
fishing was put in outdoors and that was that. Until now
apparently. I don't see any reason to revisit a 20 year
old argument again. rec.outdoors.fishing.tournaments sounds
fine to me although I won't vote for it or against it and
I have absolutely no interest in ever reading it.

--
Ken Fortenberry