Gulf Shores Alabama Area

Old May 7th, 2004, 10:16 PM
Michael Starcher

Default Gulf Shores Alabama Area

Its a ways off, but we're planning a family rendezvous over the
Christmas-New Year period in the Gulf Shores area. Anyone have any
recommendations (besides go the Bahamas!) for fly fishing in that area at
that time of year? Are there redfish around in the shallows? Easy access
areas? Considering bringing along a small boat (22') - worthwhile?

Cheers,
Mike

Old May 8th, 2004, 07:50 AM
Big Dale

Michael Starcher asked:Its a ways off, but we're planning a family rendezvous
over the
Christmas-New Year period in the Gulf Shores area. Anyone have any
recommendations (besides go the Bahamas!) for fly fishing in that area at
that time of year? Are there redfish around in the shallows? Easy access
areas? Considering bringing along a small boat (22') - worthwhile?

Cheers,
Mike

Don't know about that time of year. The only time I tried to fish that area was
about a year ago and the winds never dropped below 40mph, so I drove the 700 +
miles back home.

Big Dale
Old May 9th, 2004, 04:39 AM
Wayne Knight

"Michael Starcher" wrote in message
. ..
Its a ways off, but we're planning a family rendezvous over the
Christmas-New Year period in the Gulf Shores area. Anyone have any
recommendations (besides go the Bahamas!) for fly fishing in that area at
that time of year? Are there redfish around in the shallows? Easy access
areas? Considering bringing along a small boat (22') - worthwhile?

December in Gulf Shores can be a mixed bag, High 20"s - low 30's are not
uncommon nor are 70 degree days. From Shore, the area around Alabama Point
and Perdido Key are often productive (there was a decent fly shop in the
Perdido Key area). A boat is helpful, especially to get back into the bayous
which run in and out of Escambia and Pensacola Bays. Redfish and speckled
seatrout would be my target but I can not remember what the redfish's
migratory habits, if any.