a suggestion

Old July 18th, 2004, 11:14 PM
Fritz Nordengren

Default a suggestion

Spoonplugger wrote:
in his final shot he said this is a
personal message board for a few people in here. this is not true, but how
many others have left thinking the same thing and just not saying anything?

Well countless others have left -- or never bothered to post and yes,
this is a personal message board for a handfull of people. Like all of
USENET -- and also most web based fishing boards, it becomes a tight
community pretty quick.

If you look at Jan - March of this year, 428 people posted 4605
messages. 174 of those posted once only. A very very small group of
people considering the tens of millions with USENET access.

It's a small club, no dues, a few PIA's, lots of egos, and every so
often, some advice that will change the way you fish forever.

I guess folks can decide for themselves if the above is a good thing or
not. I still don't know. g

http://netscan.research.microsoft.co...=3%2F31%2F2004

Old July 19th, 2004, 12:16 AM
Spoonplugger

ok now we are splitting hairs it would be interesting to see of those that
posted once why they did not become part of the Group maybe it was because
they saw an AL thread and decided that these guys are just plain mean
my point is everyone bitches about him and no one does anything about him
heres an oppoutunity to finally educate
newcomers to the group and say hey we arent mean
and this is why he gets treated this way if he is in the FAQ no longer will
people like JBUCK leave angry
everyone here agrees he is a major PITA and at least twice a year someone
most always a newcomer sticks up for him because they do not understand why
he is treated with such disrespect. put him in the FAQ and everyone will
have the chance to understand new and old alike.
Wayne

Old July 19th, 2004, 02:12 AM
Andrew Kidd

Default a suggestion (long)

I've set on the sidelines, watching this thread grow. I'd like to
express my opinion.

A short story.... Once upon a time, a person joined this NG. He
quickly made many friends, and a few enemies. He took a mainstream position
in the group, then failed to live up to the commitment for which he
volunteered. He made several grand promises he seldom (if ever) followed up
on. This person is, IMO, the vindictive sort who takes every opportunity to
dramatically defame others, creating not one, but at least two separate
websites to publicly expose the injustices these particular people had
committed against him. Full websites. He surreptitiously described to me
in a phone call, after a Southern Classic, what a bunch of cigarette smoking
rednecks this group contained, without a hint of endearment I would expect
of a man talking about his "friends". Yet he still he cried foul whenever
his effort or moral make-up was questioned. He finally took his NG website
(his proverbially "ball"), and went home.
This same person proclaimed "AL" a troll. Several quickly jumped on
board, and the plot thickened. Asking for more proof, I was casually
brushed aside with, "I know things, but have promised not to say" type
answers about what proof existed that "AL" was indeed multiple people,
insane, at an asylum, a danger to any other, the maker of threatening phone
calls, an environmental activist, disgruntled former ROFB member, etc, etc,
etc. All this coming from the same person who is known to quite grandly
electronically execute those he has a problem with, and who was seldom good
to his word.

The morale of the story? I don't know if this character who causes so
much drama is really a troll or not, cause he sure doesn't operate using
typical troll behavior. Although I personally dislike the contact I've had
with this person(s), I have never seen a single post made that was anything
worse then what I would classify as just plain stupid. We have those kind
of posts made occasionally by other, more frequent, posters. The only
difference? Their assumed intentions have never been publicly executed,
without a trial.
I have this person killfiled. I gave up trying to communicate, and
personally, found him to not be a person I wanted to communicate with. When
a post is made in reply to his posts, I occasionally see what is going on,
but tend to ignore these as well.
As far as Mr. Buck leaving, I find it a shame that he did not know what
USENET was about. IMO, USENET is about peoples freedom to express their
thoughts. You don't have to agree-you don't have to like it. You can
comment, or you can stay quiet. You can leave, you can stay. All of these
options have been frequently used. But people are free to say whatever is
on their minds.
Policing has been tried in various forms, over and over, on various
newsgroups. You know what? It never works... Neither will a FAQ entry.

My take on this? As long as I am webmaster, I will not put a FAQ in
place that publicly defames another person, know matter how much I dislike
or disagree with that person.
Mind you, I'm not taking a "I'll take my website and go home" stance here.
I just will not be responsible for adding it to the site. If someone else
would like to call a vote and take over the website so they can add this, I
will gladly step aside and let that happen, without hard feelings.
This might sound a bit hypocritical after having just read my short
story - - but guess what? This is USENET....I have that option.... :-)
--
Andrew Kidd
http://www.amiasoft.com/ - Software for the rest of us!

"Spoonplugger" wrote in message
I know someone once brought this up and i think it should be given another
chance and that is AL in the FAQ
Jbuck left angry and a wee bit bitter in his final shot he said this is a
personal message board for a few people in here. this is not true, but how
many others have left thinking the same thing and just not saying

anything?
it is obvious that he (AL) will be here for a long long time
so to enlighten and explain him to newcomers would be a huge benifit to

the
group.
when i first posted here i was given some advice about him and that was to
watch his posts which i did and yes i saw how he disrupts the group and
yelling killfile him
very obviously does not work
so i suggest adopt him into the FAQ so others dont have to go through what
Jbuck did
just my 2 cents
Wayne

Old July 19th, 2004, 02:40 AM
Jerry Barton \(NervisRek\)

Well said Andrew, and I applaud you for doing so. Myself personally, I chose
to "never" reply to Al, and I've kept that promise to myself for quite
sometime. I see no fairness in blasting someone for their opinions, when my
post would be the same, just an opinion. So I laugh at some of his antics,
and shake my head at other times, but I do so in silence.

Old July 19th, 2004, 03:26 AM
Spoonplugger

I was hoping you would say something Andrew and as usual it makes sense but
with all the falming he gets
and the comment made about this being a pesonal board for a few made me
think how many people have left thinking this group is a bunch of redneck
a**holes
because of the way he (AL) is treated that was all i was trying to say and i
did and still do think an FAQ entry on not him but his posts and the reason
he treated the way he is is a good start.and i do hear and understand what
you said and in some cases i agree the statments made by some that he is
more than one person borders on delusional and hearing some here screaming
killfile him and then replying to him is just nuts.
the impression given is everyone wants him gone but no one wants do anything
to accomplish this.
i dont know i guess i just like everything to make sense
and this doesnt.
Wayne

Old July 19th, 2004, 03:26 AM
BaitGal

I agree...good call not to publicly post defamation of a person's
character on the net.
There have been lawsuits from less and ROFB definitely doesn't need to
take those risks, let alone step down to a non-professional level.
Oh...hi everyone
Been on the road and heading back to Arizona for a month on the 4th.
My sister's new home has a community lake that's stocked, so you know
where I will be when not helping her

Beverly
www.lonestardepot.com

Old July 19th, 2004, 03:31 AM
Jim M

Andrew Kidd entered the world pub known as rec.outdoors.fishing.bass and
said...

My take on this? As long as I am webmaster, I will not put a FAQ in
place that publicly defames another person, know matter how much I dislike
or disagree with that person.

stands, claps

So you say this person could be an environmentalist? shudders
--
Jim M
posted on this day, the 3972nd of September 1993

"Look alive. Here comes a buzzard." -- Walt Kelly (Pogo)