License Sales

Old December 5th, 2004, 05:41 PM
Chris S

Default License Sales

Not exactly Wis non resident went up to $40 this year up from $32 or $34
last year. Don't get me wrong I buy a Non resident license every year.Love
fishing in Wis.

Chris S

"Steve @ OutdoorFrontiers" wrote in
message ...

Well, here's the scoop from what I know about the proposed license fee
increase.

First of all, license fees have not increased in seven years, normally,
they increase about every 4 years, so we're overdue for a hike.

The discovery of Chronic Wasting Disease in Wisconsin's deer herd has
meant that funds had to be diverted from other areas of the DNR's budget
for control efforts, research and education. The hysteria created by the
media meant a drop in deer hunting license sales, which meant a drop in
revenue.

The state legislature did a little "creative accounting" to reduce the
state's deficit and shifted game warden salaries, which took money from
DNR programs. This means that the DNR does not have the money to staff
game warden levels to anything close to where we should be. Wisconsin has
one of the lowest number of wardens per area covered in the Lower 48
states.

There's a projected $17 million deficit for both 2004 and 2005 if there is
no license fee increase.

If the proposed fee increase does not happen, here's what more than likely
will happen.

_ Reduce musky stocking 33 percent, trout stocking 50 percent.

_ Close two hatcheries, one weir and outlying ponds.

_ Cut trout habitat work 20 percent, warmwater habitat work 50 percent,
and surveys 33 percent.

_ Cut 10 fish biologists, 15 technicians, 10 hatchery staff.

_ Stop habitat management on most Wildlife Management areas and Fisheries
areas.

_ Close state game farm, which produces 57,000 adult pheasant and 60,000
day-old-chicks for public hunting opportunity.

_ Cut time biologists and wardens spend on customer service, responding to
clubs/partner organization requests

_ Cut 40 full-time warden jobs.

_ Reduce wildlife population data collection and reporting.

_ Cut 25 full-time customer service and licensing people and reduce hours
at eight to 10 DNR service centers.

Also, as much as I dislike having a game warden's boat pull up alongside
mine, I have nothing to fear from them as I do my best to follow all fish
& game laws. I see the need to have the "Fish Cops" out doing their job,
because without them, our resources would be raped by the "less
scrupulous".

While many of these cuts won't directly impact me, as I do little (if any)
trout fishing and pheasant hunting, I realize that many people do.
Wisconsin has always had a good reputation as being on the leading edge of
wildlife research and fish/game management. Without the necessary
funding, many of these programs will go down the tubes and I for one am
willing to pay to continue them.

The $6 - $25 license fee increase is peanuts. When you stop and think
about how much money that you drop in a year for fishing and hunting
related items, what in the world is $6 - $25????
--
Steve @ OutdoorFrontiers
http://www.outdoorfrontiers.com

Old December 6th, 2004, 06:28 PM
pat gustafson

Steve @ OutdoorFrontiers wrote:
"pat gustafson" wrote in message SNIP

If Wis. goes to $50/yr for residents, the non-res licence will probably go
to $50/week!

I don't EVEN want to hear a complaint about Wisconsin Non-Resident Fees. I
turkey hunted in Illinois one time. It cost me over $150.00 to attempt to
shoot one lousy bird.

At the same time, a non-resident could come to Wisconsin, plunk down $147.00
and take home TWO whitetail deer.

Personally I don't mind paying the fees, as long as I feel that they are
going to the conservation effort.
Since this is a fishing newsgroup, and I'm feeling jumpy today. I have
found the Non-Resident prices for both Illinois (my home state) and
Wisconsin (my favorite fishing state)
From the Illinois DNR license site:

Full Season Fishing $24.50
10 Day Fishing $13.00
24 Hour Fishing $5.50
Lake Michigan Salmon Stamp $6.50
Inland Trout Stamp $6.50

Wisconsin DNR License site:

Fishing, Annual 40.00 X X X
Fishing, Family Annual (primary)
(includes children 16 & 17 years of age) 65.00 X X X
Fishing, Family Annual (secondary) 0.00 X X X
Fishing, 4 day 18.00 X X X
Fishing, 15 day 24.00 X X X
Fishing, 15 day Family 40.00 X X X
Inland Trout Stamp 7.25 X X X
Great Lake Salmon/Trout Stamp 10.00 X X X
Great Lake Fishing, 2 day (includes Great Lake Salmon/Trout Stamp)
14.00 X

Old December 6th, 2004, 10:31 PM
RichG

Pat, where do you fish when you get to Wisconsin?

--
RichG manager, Carolina Skiff Owners Group on MSN
http://groups.msn.com/CarolinaSkiffOwners

"pat gustafson" wrote in message
Steve @ OutdoorFrontiers wrote:
"pat gustafson" wrote in message SNIP

If Wis. goes to $50/yr for residents, the non-res licence will probably

go
to $50/week!

I don't EVEN want to hear a complaint about Wisconsin Non-Resident Fees.

turkey hunted in Illinois one time. It cost me over $150.00 to attempt

shoot one lousy bird.

At the same time, a non-resident could come to Wisconsin, plunk down

$147.00
and take home TWO whitetail deer.

Personally I don't mind paying the fees, as long as I feel that they are
going to the conservation effort.
Since this is a fishing newsgroup, and I'm feeling jumpy today. I have
found the Non-Resident prices for both Illinois (my home state) and
Wisconsin (my favorite fishing state)
From the Illinois DNR license site: