Bass Overpopulation HELP

Old February 11th, 2005, 04:44 AM
Joe Haubenreich

Ok... just put one in.

Joe
"Joe Z" wrote in message
NOOOOO Northerns! They overpopulate and stunt even worse. ;-) Joe Z.

"Iowa883" wrote in message
I have two ponds that are over populated with small bass. All I can catch is
VERY small bass . How should I "clean" them out ?
Can a person give or sell them to a business ?
Or what do I do ?

Couple small Northerns ?

Thanks,
Iowa883

Old February 11th, 2005, 02:21 PM
Rodney

go-bassn wrote:
Uh, better watch it there Chief - the bass still have to be legal size to
harvest...

Dang Warren, are you really that stupid ?????????????????

Fish in a "private" pond belong to the pond owner, he can kill them all
if he wants to, this is TRUE in EVERY state, private ponds are exempt
for all game laws, he can catch and keep 100 fish a day if he wants to

--
Rodney Long,
Inventor of the Long Shot "WIGGLE" rig, SpecTastic Thread
Old February 11th, 2005, 08:16 PM
E. Carl Speros

Old February 11th, 2005, 09:04 PM
John Kerr

I have a friend that has a nice pond on his property. The bass in his
pond also seemed to be on the small side for the time they had been
there. He was advised that the pond seemed to be in pretty good shape as
far as an eco-system went...plenty of food for the bass. He was advised
that maybe there was not enough natural cover, and structure for a
healthy bass habitat. He contracted to have some "rip-rap" hauled in,
and created some rock piles. He also had a friend bring his drag line
crane over, and created a deep end "hole" at the runoff entry to the
pond. He already had one small pier, but he added on to it with a large
"T" at the end. Now he has more structure, more shaded area...a better
bass habitat. He also removes some smaller bass, and puts them in
another pond that a neighbor recently built on his property..plus eats a
few too . All this has helped the growth of the bass considerably.

A lot of ponds are just not great bass habitats!

JK

Old February 11th, 2005, 11:05 PM
RichZ

E. Carl Speros wrote:
I think your working from the wrong end. If you have the bass in with
mostly bluegills, those little guys are tough & evasive it'd be better
if you add Alewife, gizzard shad, crayfish etc. to your pond & take a
bass or 2 for dinner once in a while. If you add a mess of alewife etc.
(your supplier will tell you how many for your size pond. Bluegills are
a very difficult meal for Bass & even Pike don't prefer them because of
their spiny dorsal fins. Good luck, Carl

Alewife are singularly unsuited to small ponds. Golden shiners or the
like are a far better option.
Old February 12th, 2005, 10:19 PM
Guy F. Anderson Sr.

On Sat, 12 Feb 2005 16:20:28 -0500, "go-bassn"
wrote:

Rodney the slimebucket troll lives to pick fights, but I'm not bitin his
twisted snakeoil hooks lol.

C'mon fella--no name-calling please. Don't stoop to his level, you
are bigger than that!

Guy A
Ripley, TN
Old February 12th, 2005, 10:44 PM
go-bassn

You are right Guy, my apologies. A 70-year old guy calling me stupid
shouldn't raise my neckhair anyway lol. I just wish he would stay in my
killfile. You coming to Center Hill Guy?

Warren

Old February 12th, 2005, 10:55 PM
Ronnie Garrison

go-bassn wrote:
So Ron, how was your South American trip???

Warren

Quite and experience - saw things I never thought I would see in my
life. Penguines everywhere, whales, seals and ice bergs. About the
fourth morning out something woke me up shaking the ship and crashing -
ran to the window and nothing but ice floes and bergs as far as you
could see. They avoided the bigger ones but ran right over floes 30 or
40 feet long and 4 feet thick - shook the ship enough to wake me up.

It was amazing having penguines waddle right by you going to their nests
- they would pretty much ignore you if you were more than four or five
feet away. And I never thought how bad it would smell - penguines nest
in colonies of thousands in the same rock islands year after year, and
the poop never goes away, just melts and thaws back out. You could
smell a colony miles away!

Antarctica is an amazing place - some days we would be looking at ice
bergs against ice cliffs 200 feet high and off in the distance it would
look like a low lying cloud, then we would realize it was an ice field
rising up thousands of feet and running as far as you could see. The
captain took the 400 foot ship right up to a flat berg - one that was
formed when the ice shelf of a glacier broke off. It was at least three
times as long as the ship and you could not see the top from the top
deck of the ship. And it was at least as wide as it was long.

Some of them were this incredible light blue color, and some had that
blue streak in them. There were all kinds of shapes and sizes.
Everything there was white, grey, black or blue. Really missed the
color green!

They took us off the ship in Zodiac rubber boats - with 32 hp diesel
outboards - did not know they even made a diesel outboard. They were
Yanmar. Said they needed diesel for the torque, and I am sure it helped
carrying only one kind of fuel. The ship provided rubber boots knee high
and red parkers that were very warm. I wore my guidewear pants since we
often had waves splash over the sides of the boat and got out into knee
deep water usually.

Anyway, they would take us 10 at the time to islands to walk around for
an hour or so - often riding thru slush ice that would kick up the
motor. Air temps were in the low 30s - it is the middle of the summer
there. A once in a lifetime experience.

I was disappointed that I was too far south for peacock bass when in
Buenos Aries. They are several hundred miles north, toward the equator.
The river there is huge, really a bay, and muddy. There was a fish I
wanted to try for called a dorado - looked like a yellow striper with
teeth. They got big. But would have to travel about three hours upstream
to get to them, and we only had a day and a half there.

Glad I am home!
Old February 13th, 2005, 06:03 AM
Marty

"go-bassn" wrote in message
You are right Guy, my apologies. A 70-year old guy calling me stupid
shouldn't raise my neckhair anyway lol.

Warren, argue with Rodney all you want, I got no dog in that fight. But
what's age got to do with it? I'm a senior citizen and the above statement
rubs me the wrong way because of the attitude it implies, even if that
wasn't your intent. With luck, you'll be a senior some day and it'll happen
quicker than you think. Enjoy your youth while you still have it.

Good fishing,
Marty

Old February 22nd, 2005, 07:51 PM
Calif Bill

"Rodney" wrote in message
go-bassn wrote:
Same here in PA Joe, a bass must be 12" to harvest even in private

waters.

Prove that WARREN,, it was not proved for NY, it only applied if special
conditions were not met

If that was the case, every small farm pond would have dink bass in them
and nothing else, you can't manage a farm pond following those rules,,
the fish in a farm pond "BELONG" to the owner of the pond, he can do
what he damn well pleases with them, hell, he can kill them all if he
wants to

Rodney the slimebucket troll lives to pick fights, but I'm not bitin his
twisted snakeoil hooks lol.

Your just a wanna be expert, that does not know everything like you
claim you do,, you won't debate me because I am RIGHT "again", and you
can't stand it.

Just like you stated that farm ponds "can't be" over populated with
bass, you just don't know what your talking about.

Warren

"Joe Z" wrote in message

Rod, Why must you pick fights? Warren was erring, IF it was an error, on

the

side of caution. Sheesh!
http://www.dec.state.ny.us/website/d.../farmpdmg.html
This means that guests or friends of the pond owner must have a license

fish the pond even though it is privately-owned. Laws pertaining to

seasons,

size limits and daily take also apply to owners of private fish ponds

unless

a farm fish pond license is obtained.
Joe Z.

"Rodney" wrote in message
go-bassn wrote:

[...]

Tell that to the local slimeball developer that drained a pond. Was not the
first time he screwed up a natural wetland pond on land he owned. Cost him
close to $300,000 in fines. Plus his legal bills probably pushed that a
couple of times. You can not do whatever you like with your ponds.