Bass Vs. Carp

Old December 7th, 2005, 02:11 AM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.bass

Default Bass Vs. Carp

Which fish is more powerfull? I do know about Carp fishing,and when I hook a BIG carp it peels 100+ yards of line off. Does that not just scream SPORTFISH!? I just wanted to see what others thought of the idea. I do not EAT ANY freshwater fish,so it is purely sport for me. I fish some of the best largemouth waters in the whole country,and have found out where there is big bass there are big carp. What better food for a bass than a 2-5 inch soft baby carp.

Old December 7th, 2005, 04:08 AM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.bass

Someone wrote:

Which fish is more powerfull? I do know about Carp fishing,and when I hook a BIG carp it peels 100+ yards of line off. Does that not just scream SPORTFISH!? I just wanted to see what others thought of the idea. I do not EAT ANY freshwater fish,so it is purely sport for me. I fish some of the best largemouth waters in the whole country,and have found out where there is big bass there are big carp. What better food for a bass than a 2-5 inch soft baby carp.

Carp are slimy bottom dwelling scum suckers that takes no skill in
getting them to bite. True they put up a fight, much more than a bass,
but they are UGLY as crap, which they eat.

--
Rodney Long,
Inventor of the Long Shot "WIGGLE" rig, SpecTastic Thread
Old December 7th, 2005, 05:57 AM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.bass

"Someone" wrote in message
g.com...

Which fish is more powerfull?

You already answered your own question in your next sentence.

I do know about Carp fishing,and when I hook a BIG carp it peels 100+ yards
of line off. Does that not just scream SPORTFISH!? I just wanted to see
what others thought of the idea. I do not EAT ANY freshwater fish,so it is
purely sport for me. I fish some of the best largemouth waters in the
whole country,and have found out where there is big bass there are big
carp. What better food for a bass than a 2-5 inch soft baby carp.

I know a lot of people view carp as a trash fish, but I agree that they're a
fine sportfish. I've fished for them on and off for the last 15 years. This
spring, because of a closed bass season here, I spent a month only fishing
for carp and thoroughly enjoyed it. I don't get very many opportunities to
catch fish that make my reel sing, and the carp fills that void very well.

Old December 7th, 2005, 04:21 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.bass

"Rodney Long" wrote in message
True they put up a fight, much more than a bass,
but they are UGLY as crap, which they eat.

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder Rodney.

Just look in the mirror.

Warren ;-)

Old December 8th, 2005, 05:54 AM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.bass

Someone wrote:
Which fish is more powerfull? I do know about Carp fishing,and when I hook a BIG carp it peels 100+ yards of line off. Does that not just scream SPORTFISH!? I just wanted to see what others thought of the idea. I do not EAT ANY freshwater fish,so it is purely sport for me. I fish some of the best largemouth waters in the whole country,and have found out where there is big bass there are big carp. What better food for a bass than a 2-5 inch soft baby carp.

I caught a big carp at a event on the Red River in November. Although I
wsih it would have been a bass, it was still fun to fight it. They are
slimy, and my partner did not want it in the boat, but it was a fun
fight. Catching a carp is better then catching nothing. I would also
rather get a carp then a Drum.
Old December 8th, 2005, 11:12 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.bass

JR wrote:
I would also
rather get a carp then a Drum.

Not me. A carp's primary drawing card is its size. I've caught plenty of
both, and pound for pound, I consider the drum a better fight. You can't
compare a 4 pound drum against a 15 or 20 pound carp. But in my
experience, a 7 or 8 pound drum will pull a similar sized carp around in
circles.

Old December 9th, 2005, 12:14 AM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.bass

look at this another way - why bass is such an important "sportfish" in the
USA?
the only reason is because it is marketed that way. There is a big $$$ in
the bass business. Carp has the same reputation in the UK, more, carp gear
is MUCH more advanced and sophisticated then bass gear.

Instead of saying that carp is crap, look at it from another way and try to
catch one! i have been fishing for both and enjoy them. Do not follow what
the TV and big stores tell you and do what you find more interesting.

Old December 9th, 2005, 12:50 AM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.bass

"Grzegorz Lecki" wrote in message
look at this another way - why bass is such an important "sportfish" in
the USA?
the only reason is because it is marketed that way. There is a big $$$ in
the bass business. Carp has the same reputation in the UK, more, carp gear
is MUCH more advanced and sophisticated then bass gear.

Instead of saying that carp is crap, look at it from another way and try
to catch one! i have been fishing for both and enjoy them. Do not follow
what the TV and big stores tell you and do what you find more interesting.

Actually, as long as I'm getting my string stretched, I really don't care a
whole heck of a lot who's on the other end. I do find bass challenging and
in my home area, believe it or not, we don't have carp, but we do have
largemouth and smallmouth bass.

I do however have a show planned on carp fishing. Not everyone has access
to good bass water, but millions of anglers around the U.S. have carp in
their backyard. I'm a firm believer in "if you only have lemons, make
lemonade."
--
Steve @ OutdoorFrontiers
http://www.outdoorfrontiers.com

Old December 9th, 2005, 06:06 AM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.bass

"RichZ" wrote in message

JR wrote:

I would also rather get a carp then a Drum.

Not me. A carp's primary drawing card is its size. I've caught plenty of
both, and pound for pound, I consider the drum a better fight. You can't
compare a 4 pound drum against a 15 or 20 pound carp. But in my
experience, a 7 or 8 pound drum will pull a similar sized carp around in
circles.

I'm trying to find exactly where I said carp is crap.

Aside from that, your argument is complete drivel. Bass was a premier
sport fish in the US long before it got "marketed" and there came to be
money in it.

I guess the meaning of "advanced and sophisticated" must lie in the eye
of the beholder. Carp are a fun diversion once or twice a season, and an
occasional pleasant and strong, but accidental pull on the other end of
the line. So are catfish, bowfin, drum and gar. But the idea of
investing a lot of thought, effort and/or money into angling for any of
them just doesn't hold any attraction to me.

Feel free to enjoy them more than bass. Perhaps you should spend your
time reading and participating in the rec.outdoors.fishing.carp
newsgroup instead of the bass group. Oh -- wait. Never mind.
Old December 9th, 2005, 10:55 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.bass

sorry, I did not mean to reply to your post. It was supposed to go to Rodney
Long.

Also, I strongly advise everybody to read John Madson's great book "Up On
the River". Nice part of it is about introduction of carp into the USA.
Every outdoorsman will find this book extremely interesting.

And bass are fun to catch! So as pike and everything else swimming in these
waters here
you guys take care!

The only thing I ad in my mind is that carp deserves more respect in the
USA. BTW - read what