Can you believe?

Old December 15th, 2006, 05:03 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.bass
johnval1

Default Can you believe?

"Ken Fortenberry" wrote in message
Bob Rickard wrote:

But, that compelling evidence you refer to is still nothing
more than left wing bull**** invented for no other reason than political
purposes, and is exactly the bull**** of which I speak. Even a lying fool
like Al Gore now realizes that.

That's the right-wing argument in a nutshell. Global warming
is a "liberal" cause so it must be bull****. "Liberal" has
become such a dirty word in the minds of many that they are
easily misled into believing corporate interests are their
own interests.

Global warming is not a liberal cause it's a real and scary
phenomenon, not that I'd expect you to ever believe that Bob.

Well Ken, I agree that global warming should not be a liberal cause.
Unfortunately, it is a political cause supported primarily by the left in
this and other countries. The hows and whys of this argument and the
case-hardened positions on warming have taken political sides. Liberals
wish for the US and other western societies to take drastic actions to limit
development and growth believing industrial output will continue to destroy
our ecology and warm up the planet. Conservatives do not have unanimity on
whether warming exists to begin with, or if it does, what may be at cause,
and finally, why should the West take down their economies while ascendant,
dirty economies are allowed to continue to pollute at unabated rates? What
to do? My least favorite approach in this whole debate is to resort to
calling each other obnoxious names, but that seems to be our zeitgeist.

We are clearly in an interglacial period. The Pleistocene glaciers largely
retreated over 11,000 years ago (give or take) into the glacial pockets they
now occupy. This diminution of the ice caps was most likely accomplished
without help from humans whose carbon footprint was pretty small at the
time. Why did they retreat so long ago? Increased solar activity?
Volcanism? An increase in global biomass? Nobody really seems to know for
certain, but archeological evidence suggest they have come and gone four or
more times throughout geologic history.

Some of those glaciers continue to retreat and the question du jour is are
we responsible for this ice erosion, or is it a continuation of
long-standing geographical phenomenon? There are fossil remnants of fern
forests in Alaska. Is this a good thing that the fern forests disappeared?
I guess it depends if your instant ecology was affected by the fern
deforestation. Whatever its cause, the ferns are long gone up there. Who
knows, perhaps they will reappear if the cold weather patterns retreat
enough.

Personally, I doubt the planet will be saved (whatever that means) by the US
adopting Kyoto protocols. Perhaps what we should do is to continue to work
locally and nationally to use new technology and adopt new practices to
limit damage to ourselves, all the while working to get other large
economies to do what they can to cut down on pollution. Whether that slows
down warming, or whether warming even exists, or what the extent of warming
is, constitutes a whole 'nother kettle of bass.

Old December 15th, 2006, 06:08 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.bass
Ken Fortenberry

johnval1 wrote:
"Ken Fortenberry" wrote:
Global warming is not a liberal cause it's a real and scary
phenomenon, ...

Well Ken, I agree that global warming should not be a liberal cause.
Unfortunately, it is a political cause supported primarily by the left in
this and other countries. ...

No, it's not a cause at all, neither liberal nor political, global
warming is scientific fact. The only question is, where do we go
from here. And on that question we are unlikely to agree so in the
interest of liberal and right-wing bass fishermen everywhere this
is EOT (end of thread) for me.

--
Ken Fortenberry
Old December 15th, 2006, 09:01 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.bass
Calif Bill

"Ken Fortenberry" wrote in No, it's not a
cause at all, neither liberal nor political, global
warming is scientific fact. The only question is, where do we go
from here. And on that question we are unlikely to agree so in the
interest of liberal and right-wing bass fishermen everywhere this
is EOT (end of thread) for me.

--

The only major question is what is causing the Global Warming! Your
question of what we should do about it is meaningless until the question of

Old December 15th, 2006, 10:04 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.bass
Dan, danl, Redbeard uh Greybeard now

On Fri, 15 Dec 2006 13:01:37 -0800, "Calif Bill"
wrote:

SNIP
The only major question is what is causing the Global Warming! Your
question of what we should do about it is meaningless until the question of
why global warming is answered. Most likely solar as Mars is also heating
up. We most likely add some to the warming with a few billion people.
Burning fossel fuel in developed countries and clearing and cutting forests
in the less developed regions. But what percent is man adding? In late
1800's 20 miles of Glacier Bay, AK melted. Never refroze. What did man do
then to cause this heat event?

Snip

Bill, you can't argue facts with people that believe in global warming
any more than you could argue the facts with the people that were
pointing out that we were going into an ice age a few years back. The
experts told them and the experts are never wrong.

BTW, many of the experts from that "fact" based argument are the ones
arguing that we are into global warming. Unfortunately a few
politicos grabbed the idea to get a segment of the voters to vote for
them. To me it has nothing to do with politics and everything to do
with people like "Himbo", yes I said "Himbo" ex vice president Al, I
never missed a chance to make a fool of myself, Gore! He did invent
the internet right????

It is a lose-lose situation.

(Whisper) There that should quite everything back down sfsf

Old December 15th, 2006, 10:28 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.bass
Marty

"Dan, danl, Redbeard uh Greybeard now" wrote in message
yes I said "Himbo" ex vice president Al, I
never missed a chance to make a fool of myself, Gore! He did invent
the internet right????

It never ceases to amaze me how people like to perpetuate a myth that
supports their agenda. Al Gore did not say that he invented the Internet.

http://www.snopes.com/quotes/internet.asp

Old December 15th, 2006, 10:31 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.bass
John Kerr

All this talk about the changes our little planet is going through
reminds me of just how long "we" have been around. If we compressed all
the time the Earth has been in existence into one year....man would show
up on the scene in the last minute or so of December 31st., or maybe
it's the last few seconds...it's been awhile since I figured it out .

Now, based on that limited time experience and limited observations of
man, I have trouble with some of the so called experts conclusions
dealing with the Earth sciences!

The Earth will take care of it's self quite well...it's got a great
track record! Man is the one that better worry about himself...and his
track record! Over 95% of all species that ever existed on the planet
are now extinct...makes ya wonder.

But I hate cold weather....I'm kinda rooting for the warmer thingy!

Old December 15th, 2006, 11:49 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.bass
Dan, danl, Redbeard uh Greybeard now

On Fri, 15 Dec 2006 22:28:24 GMT, "Marty"
wrote:

"Dan, danl, Redbeard uh Greybeard now" wrote in message
.. .
yes I said "Himbo" ex vice president Al, I
never missed a chance to make a fool of myself, Gore! He did invent
the internet right????

It never ceases to amaze me how people like to perpetuate a myth that
supports their agenda. Al Gore did not say that he invented the Internet.

http://www.snopes.com/quotes/internet.asp

Wow, I didn't even set the hook. All I did was set the rod down and
go to dinner. SFSF
Old December 16th, 2006, 12:19 AM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.bass
JAMES LUNING

Your a smart man John,
Now they claim cow flatuance is responsible for more than 25% of Globel
warming.
More hysteria.
Check this out. http://inhofe.senate.gov/floorspeeches.htm

Jim L

Old December 16th, 2006, 02:56 AM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.bass
Ronnie

OK, he did not "invent" the internet. He just says he "took the
initative in creating it." BIG difference, right? Not invented, but
more godlike created it.

Ronnie

http://fishing.about.com

Old December 16th, 2006, 03:07 AM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.bass
Bob Rickard

As Jim just stated so eloquently, man being responsible for global warming
keeps coming right back to BULL****!

Bob Rickard