Price of Fishing Reels

Old September 25th, 2003, 04:51 AM
The RodMaker

Default Price of Fishing Reels

As for my self , I own 3 Shimano Scorpions
3 Shimano Curado's . A Diawa TDX and a Quantum EX501. The Quantum was the
1st lefty reel I bought bout 7 yrs ago.

For my book quality is more important than
trying to save a buck. I don't like having a reel fail on the water.

--
Dave Norton
Millennium Rods
"Thundercat" wrote in message
"Dark Knight" wrote in message
Morning Folks,

Kind of an impromptu survey...

A) What is the most that you would spend for a fishing reel?

I probably wouldn't go much over $500 for a reel but on average I'd say
between $150 and $250

B) Do you personally believe that price and quality go hand-in-hand?

(i.e.
Would you expect a $500 reel to be superior to a $100 reel?)

I would say that it all depends on what you are expecting to get out of

the
reel. A $500 reel ain't goin' ta make ya catch fish any better but it will
sure feel nice while you are trying. While a quality $100 reel might not
"feel" as refined, it will sure do a good job and last you a lifetime with
regular maintenance. Kind of like choosing between a Nissan Maxima and an
Infinity G35.

DK

--
Harry J. aka Thundercat
Rogue Bass Fishing Club

Old September 25th, 2003, 05:06 AM
The RodMaker

Default Price of Fishing Rods

Okay , so we have seen that some are willing to spend hundreds on their
reels.

How bout the rods you buy & why? Please think about your answers, you'll
actually be helping us out.

--
Dave Norton
Millennium Rods

"Dark Knight" wrote in message
Morning Folks,

Kind of an impromptu survey...

snip

Old September 25th, 2003, 02:18 PM
Steve @ OutdoorFrontiers

"Dark Knight" wrote in message ...
Morning Folks,

Kind of an impromptu survey...

A) What is the most that you would spend for a fishing reel?

***I have a Shimano Chronarch that is one sweet reel, so I guess I have to say that I'd spend at
least that much. But for the most part, $150 or less is typically what I spend on a reel. But I
must qualify that statement by saying that these are reels that clients use, and I have to balance
quality and price. I won't give clients cheap equipment, but then again, I'm reluctant to hand them
a $600 rod reel combo when I have several a season tossed in the lake!

B) Do you personally believe that price and quality go hand-in-hand? (i.e.
Would you expect a $500 reel to be superior to a $100 reel?)

***Yes I do. While a $500 reel won't catch any more fish than a $100 model, I expect it to be
smoother, cast farther and be more reliable. For the extra $400, this reel better be one that will
be handed down generation to generation. Would I spend $500 for a reel? I don't know, I'd have to
handle one to be certain, and then I'd have to be in the right mood to spend that much.
--
Steve
OutdoorFrontiers

Old September 26th, 2003, 02:41 AM
Dark Knight

Evening Dave,

Truth be told, I find that the quality of the rod depends on what I intend
to do with it. I can't see spending more than $125 on a cranking rod, yet I
doubt that I'll ever spend less that $100 on a good jigging stick again. I
don't need high modulus graphite on a bucktail rod, but you can be sure
that's what I'm looking for if I'm using a Lindy rig.

Does this help, or are you looking for even more detailed information?

DK

Old September 26th, 2003, 03:24 AM
The RodMaker

DK, your 1st sentence about sums it up! But why? Why is it that anglers are
willing to spend major bucks on a reel ,yet scrimp when it comes to the rods
that are used with that reel?

--
Dave Norton
Millennium Rods

Old September 26th, 2003, 04:03 PM
Charles B. Summers

Truth be told though... the rod is probably the most important piece of
equipment. You don't feel the fish, or the strikes with the reel... you feel
everything with the rod. The more sensitive the rod is, the more you'll be
able to feel.

Old September 27th, 2003, 12:04 AM
The RodMaker

So, what motivates you to buy a rod? And Charles, you have two MCR rods. Why
?

Again , why will someone spend several hundred dollars on a reel . And then
buy a $69.00 rod for it?

--
Dave Norton
Millennium Rods

Old September 27th, 2003, 05:30 AM
Shawn

I'm not Charles, but I'll answer with my own perspective.

I first realized I needed "real" bassing equipment when I bought a cheap
($45) Daiwa bait caster. Thinking that fault lied within myself, I struggled
with that coffee grinder for a whole season...ok, maybe three
months...before I realized that the first step to any successful
presentation is the cast, and the cast begins with the reel.

I'd been oogling over the Lew's line-up for several months but couldn't
muster the courage to come home with a $130 reel. Frustration was mounting
then one day it hit me; forgiveness is easier had then permission. I took
the plunge.

Again, learning the cast was an exercise in frustration but I could tell in
an instant that the reel made a world of difference. It was smooth, to
smooth for my rookie thumb, but I persisted. Once comfortable and confident
with my new found abilities (and a few fish later) I decided I needed more!
More quality reels in hand, each one with a different presentation. Each one
a new technique to learn, or at least try.

I went through a ton of tackle in the early stages; losing much of it to the
trees (submerged and otherwise). It took a while to settle in on confidence
baits. All this takes money, much more than I ever imagined spending.

Fast forward to present day - I now have 5 of the Lew's bait casters and two
spinning outfits. Each outfit has it's preferred application and a "Plan B".
That takes a lot of tackle, and I have a LOT of tackle, and I need more.

Fast forward to the near future - there are but two things left to complete
my fishing package; #1 is a boat to fish from (that's a pretty important
piece of the puzzle). #2 is a complete new line-up of quality rods to fish
with. From there, all I need is gas money, right? What else could there be?
LOL!

--
Early to Bed, Early to Rise,
Fish all Day, Make up Lies.

Shawn

Old September 27th, 2003, 10:44 AM
Huck Palmatier

I finally had a chance to fish some "high end" equipment during a charity
pro-am recently which was held ICW the Jacob's Cup in Richmond. I was paired
with Toshi Namiki, and used some of his prototype Team Daiwa stuff that
isn't even available over here yet (except on the japantackle website) .
Brave guy to chance me throwing $1000 over the side. A Battler series 7'1"
pitching stick with a Megabass Z reel spooled up with light flouro.... Whole
setup weighed less than a Yuengling!.....Now my Falcon/Curado pitching rig
feels like a SnoopyPole. wimpered Huck

Old September 27th, 2003, 01:08 PM
AJH

IMO sensitivity in a rod to a certain degree, isn't that important, I
watch the line and I am sure I can see a bite before I can feel it..as
far as rod weight, I can't see much difference between a $20 and a $90
rod..I have had only one rod that didn't cast very well, it was a $60
rod, As far as reels go, Shimano reels under the 100 dollar price range
are inferior to Abu's in the $60-80 price range..The Curado seems to be
the best and most popular reel for the money..
I have a question for Rodmaker, why are custom rods so expensive?

I fish therefore I lie