Price of Fishing Reels

Old September 27th, 2003, 01:11 PM
Steve @ OutdoorFrontiers

Default Price of Fishing Reels

"Huck Palmatier" wrote in message news:SZcdb.23452$0Z5.7469@lakeread03...
I finally had a chance to fish some "high end" equipment during a charity
pro-am recently which was held ICW the Jacob's Cup in Richmond. I was paired
with Toshi Namiki, and used some of his prototype Team Daiwa stuff that
isn't even available over here yet (except on the japantackle website) .
Brave guy to chance me throwing $1000 over the side. A Battler series 7'1"
pitching stick with a Megabass Z reel spooled up with light flouro.... Whole
setup weighed less than a Yuengling!.....Now my Falcon/Curado pitching rig
feels like a SnoopyPole. wimpered Huck

Good tackle will do that to you... An eye opening experience, wasn't it?
--
Steve
OutdoorFrontiers

Old September 27th, 2003, 03:24 PM
SHRED

$345 for a Calcutta Conquest 200(Japan only). No regrets and yes it is the
best in it's class. Better than a Calcutta TE GT.

"Dark Knight" wrote in message
Morning Folks,

Kind of an impromptu survey...

A) What is the most that you would spend for a fishing reel?

B) Do you personally believe that price and quality go hand-in-hand?

(i.e.
Would you expect a $500 reel to be superior to a $100 reel?)

DK

Old September 27th, 2003, 04:46 PM
The RodMaker

Default Price of Fishing Rods(long)

Now that's a fine question, and I'll try to answer it the best I can from
"my" point of view.

1st)Custom rodbuilder' take a lot more time in the "design" and assembly of
a rod.

Let's examine that statement: Major manufacturer's use preset guidelines for
each model of rod they build. Custom builder's build each rod according to a
set of criteria from the client.
"Most" major manufacturer's use the "least expensive components on the
market. And they "buy in mass quantity. When I buy the components for a rod
,I may be buying for one rod but seldom for more than three at a time. And I
"never" use the least expensive components. If I did ,I would be forever
repairing or replacing rods. A good case in point is Wally World , and Al.

Most manufacturer's use the least amount of guides according to their guide
placement charts. I know several people that "call" themselves custom
builder's ,but they use these guidelines from the manufacturer's.
I perform certain tests during the assembly of each rod that assures me that
,that particular rod has the appropriate number of guides.And that they are
spaced where they are needed to support the line most effectively.
And then there is my time, it takes me roughly 2hrs. to assembly a rod. But
that is not where it ends. Each rod gets a "minimum" of 2 coats of finish on
the guide wraps.this adds up to 8hrs of time to each rod.

Up till now , I have simply addressed what it takes to design and construct
a fishing rod. Anyone can learn to do this. It's not
rocket science. Okay anyone but Al.

We have several rodbuilder's here on this forum, and there are distinct
differences in
the approach we take to our craft.
Steve Huber builds a great fishing rod , one that "each" of us would be
proud to fish with.
Steve does not go into much in the way of personalization. And there is
"NOTHING"
wrong with that. Sorry for the caps, but I wanted to make sure that my point
was being made.

I however give each client the "option" as to how their rod will look. We go
into some rather detailed decorative effects. Does this "make" an MCR rod
fish better than a Huber custom rod or any other custom made rod?? Nope!
Remember that I said I would attempt to answer this question from "my" point
of view!
At MCR ,we believe that we are building rods that will "last" a lifetime.
That is why we provide a lifetime warranty with each rod. Stop and consider
what it costs a major manufacturer to replace an "Al" rod. Sorry couldn't
resist. Now stop and consider what it costs a custom builder to replace a
rod. Sure the blank may be replaced "free" of charge , and the guides can be
salvaged. But what about the cost of the other components.
And our time, these are variables that are factored into the cost of a rod.
These are some of the reasons we charges the prices
we do. Is a custom rod for everyone? I don't think so.

Wow, didn't realize I was going on so!
AJH and all , I hope that this has helped explain at least from "my" point
of view the
difference in price between manufactured rods , and custom built rods !

--
Dave Norton
Millennium Rods
"AJH" wrote in message
IMO sensitivity in a rod to a certain degree, isn't that important, I
watch the line and I am sure I can see a bite before I can feel it..as
far as rod weight, I can't see much difference between a $20 and a $90
rod..I have had only one rod that didn't cast very well, it was a $60
rod, As far as reels go, Shimano reels under the 100 dollar price range
are inferior to Abu's in the $60-80 price range..The Curado seems to be
the best and most popular reel for the money..
I have a question for Rodmaker, why are custom rods so expensive?

I fish therefore I lie

Old September 27th, 2003, 04:57 PM
AJH

What does the $345 Calcutta do that a $120 Curado or a $89 Abu Garcia
TP3600C won't?

I fish therefore I lie

Old September 27th, 2003, 05:43 PM
SHRED

"AJH" wrote in message
What does the $345 Calcutta do that a $120 Curado or a $89 Abu Garcia
TP3600C won't?

More versatile--casts better--better drag--many times smoother--to name a
few.

That being said, the reels you mentioned, especially the Curado, pound for
pound, are a better way to spend your money.

I fish therefore I lie

Old September 27th, 2003, 05:57 PM
AJH

Thank you sir, good explanation...

I fish therefore I lie

Old September 27th, 2003, 06:01 PM
Charles B. Summers

Default Price of Fishing Rods

Umm... cause I got an excellent deal on them??? LOL

--
Visit Charles at: www.thebasspro.net
www.secretweaponlures.com
"The RodMaker" wrote in message
So, what motivates you to buy a rod? And Charles, you have two MCR rods.

Why
?

Again , why will someone spend several hundred dollars on a reel . And

then
buy a $69.00 rod for it?

--
Dave Norton
Millennium Rods

feel
everything with the rod. The more sensitive the rod is, the more you'll

be
able to feel.

"Dark Knight" wrote in message
Evening Dave,

Truth be told, I find that the quality of the rod depends on what I

intend
to do with it. I can't see spending more than $125 on a cranking rod,

yet
doubt that I'll ever spend less that $100 on a good jigging stick

again.
don't need high modulus graphite on a bucktail rod, but you can be

sure
that's what I'm looking for if I'm using a Lindy rig.

Does this help, or are you looking for even more detailed information?

DK

"The RodMaker" wrote in message
Okay , so we have seen that some are willing to spend hundreds on

their
reels.

How bout the rods you buy & why? Please think about your answers,

you'll
actually be helping us out.

--
Dave Norton
Millennium Rods

"Dark Knight" wrote in message
Morning Folks,

Kind of an impromptu survey...
snip

Old September 27th, 2003, 06:06 PM
Charles B. Summers

I however give each client the "option" as to how their rod will look. We

go
into some rather detailed decorative effects.

At MCR ,we believe that we are building rods that will "last" a lifetime.
That is why we provide a lifetime warranty with each rod.

These are two of the MAJOR reasons why I contacted Dave to build me a couple
of rods. Hopefully, my son will enjoy fishing as much as I do and I can pass
these on to him. After all... they were personally made for his daddy, and
maybe he'll respect that when he's an adult.

Old September 27th, 2003, 06:19 PM
Dark Knight

Not ask a stupid question, but...

What is the Millennium Rods website? How does one get a listing of Dave's
rod options?

I've been looking at working with Daniel Sturgis from Backwoods Rods here in
Canada on a custom line for use by Innovative's staff and pro's, but was
really impressed with Dave's "long answer", and am thinking that I'd like to
learn more.

DK

"Charles B. Summers" (remove extra dot) wrote in
message ...

Old September 27th, 2003, 07:07 PM
The RodMaker

Yeah) Probably so!