Catch & Release

Old August 12th, 2004, 06:23 AM
Joe Haubenreich

Default Catch & Release

I advocate "throwing away" bass when the situation merits it. For example,
in one tournament on Bear Creek Lake in Arkansas, the Game & Fish Commission
officer asked us to throw all bass under the legal limit high on the bank
where they could not flop back into the lake. We understood the rationale
behind his request and I was happy to comply. We might catch 50 bass each in
the course of a day, and 48 of them would be twelve inches or under. We
noticed a marked decrease in catch rate but an improvement in quality in the
years following that policy. I'm pretty sure the game laws were not
officially suspended for that lake, but we who fished it regularly figured
the officer knew his business.

The guiding principle is not, as was suggested earlier, that "no fish should
go to spoil;" rather, compliance with regulations, wise and informed
stewardship of natural resources, and respect for the rights and opinions of
others.

Joe
______________________
"go-bassn" wrote in message
I don't think you're going to find anyone here that's going to advocate you
"throwing away" a bass regardless of the circumstances.

Warren
--
http://www.warrenwolk.com/
http://www.tri-statebassmasters.com

Old August 12th, 2004, 01:05 PM
Scott Seidman

Default Catch & Release (Michigan law)

(RGarri7470) wrote in
:

Well, here's the law in NY

You left out section 4 - 4. A licensee, any member of his
immediate family, and any person
actually employed by him in the cultivation of his farm or
the management of the licensed pond may without license issued under
title 7 of the Fish and Wildlife Law, take fish of any size, in any
number, at any time, in any manner permitted by the department.

Looks like this is for fish farming - raising fish to sell.
Ronnie

http://fishing.about.com

I also left out section 1, which defines Farm Fish Pond:

1. "Farm fish pond" means a body of water, impounded by a dam, of not
more than ten acres of water surface when full, lying wholly within the
boundaries of privately owned or leased lands. It does not include any
pond used in connection with any private camp, boarding house, hotel or
other establishment catering to the public.

It has nothing to do with purpose, and I suspect 10 acres isn't bit enough
to make a fish farm (as opposed to a farm pond) a real business.

And yes, the big point was that in NY you can pretty much do what you want
to the pond and its fish, so long as you've licensed the pond. Without
such a license, though, you're subject to every fishing regulation that
exists in the state.

Scott

Old August 12th, 2004, 04:20 PM
Rodney

IBNFSHN wrote:

Well, looks like another good group gone to hell with political bull****!
Anyone know of any good moderated forums?

You know ? Hunting and fishing are controlled by the politics

WE need to talk about it some, if we don't we will continue to loose
more, and more of our rights

I think we should all vote for those who not only give it lip service,
like Kerry did with the first P.R. bird hunting he has done in over 20
years, trying to say he is all for it, then he tried to explain how he
deer hunted with his shotgun,, telling those of us who hunt he didn't
have a clue about it, so he never has done it.

Like when he all of a sudden got religion, (yet he claimed he was very
religious, and had been that way for ever) (first time his minister had
seen him in church in over 20 years) because the polls told him he
needed it.

I'm sorry, but that kind of garbage, is not what we as sportsmen need in
office,, if he gets elected, plan on seeing us loosing more rights

--
Rodney Long,
Inventor of the Long Shot "WIGGLE" rig, SpecTastic Thread

Old August 13th, 2004, 02:05 AM
Lure builder

The guiding principle is not, as was suggested earlier, that "no fish should
go to spoil;" rather, compliance with regulations, wise and informed
stewardship of natural resources, and respect for the rights and opinions of
others.

Joe

I wanted to harvest some skein from a salmon (ot) which is perfectly legal. I
put it to the CO that it would not be appropriate to leave the gutted fish at
the lake and he agreed and said "no don't do that" (double negative... lol). I
then said i guess it should be taken home and put out with the garbage. He said
"ugggmmm take it home and bury it in your garden". His further comment was "out
of sight out of mind".
What i got from this was that generally you don't want to give the appearance
of a fish going to spoil to a casual observer.
I agree first there is the legal consideration. Second our sport is under
attack and you don't want to give the wingnuts anything to fuel their
opposition.

Old August 13th, 2004, 03:48 AM
Henry Hefner

Ken Fortenberry wrote:
Did you happen to watch Dubya on the Roland Martin show ?

Seems our Chief Executive catches bass and then lets his
dog chew them to death instead of releasing them.

If you didn't catch it the first time, it will air again
on the Outdoor Life Network. Go here and follow the links
for air times, the episode is called "The Executive Pond."

http://www.fishingwithrolandmartin.com/

I watched it today, and you have misrepresented what happened. President
Bush did say that the first dink went to the dog to play with, and he
also stated later on that the dog doesn't bite them, but just licks
them. Yes, when he put the fish on the deck it appeared in the couple of
seconds that the camera was on him, that the dog was very enthusiastic
about getting to the fish, but it was never shown or said that the dog
chews them to death. I don't know how you got out of my killfile, but
your a-fixin' to go back.