The Woolly Bugger and It's Origins

Old April 11th, 2004, 01:50 PM
Joe Branham

Default The Woolly Bugger and It's Origins

For those of you interested in this pattern and want to learn about
the actual originator and history of this pattern, I have posted a
short lead in article about the Woolly Bugger, one of the original
articles written by the originator in April 1989, some additional
information on the Woolly Bugger and the bio of the originator.

Just thought some of you might be interested in this.

Here is the address:
http://www.branhamssal****erflytying...oolybugger.asp
Old April 11th, 2004, 02:44 PM
Mike Connor

"Joe Branham" schrieb im Newsbeitrag
For those of you interested in this pattern and want to learn about
the actual originator and history of this pattern, I have posted a
short lead in article about the Woolly Bugger, one of the original
articles written by the originator in April 1989, some additional
information on the Woolly Bugger and the bio of the originator.

Just thought some of you might be interested in this.

Here is the address:
http://www.branhamssal****erflytying...oolybugger.asp

Hey Joe,

that´s great! I actually contributed a little something to Gary´s last
book on buggers ( but it has not yet been published), and I did not know who
the originator was. Indeed, I thought the information was unknown!

Very interesting indeed, Thanks!

TL
MC

Old April 11th, 2004, 06:52 PM
Joe Branham

Mike,

Gary's next book is on the Muddler Minnow. I have some patterns that I
need to send him.

Gary told me that the book on the Bugger is due out at the end of the
year.

On Sun, 11 Apr 2004 15:44:10 +0200, "Mike Connor"
wrote:

.. .

Old April 11th, 2004, 07:08 PM
Mike Connor

"Joe Branham" schrieb im Newsbeitrag

Mike,

Gary's next book is on the Muddler Minnow. I have some patterns that I
need to send him.

Gary told me that the book on the Bugger is due out at the end of the
year.

Yes, he told me the same a couple of weeks ago. I will be sending him some
CDC Muddler patterns for the book. These are quite rare it seems!

TL
MC

Old April 11th, 2004, 10:32 PM
Phil

Way back in Jan 2003 an article posted by Jamie Heim gave a web site
that linked to the actual April 1989 mag article.
Here it is again.

http://www.branhamssal****erflytying...nalarticle.asp

Enjoy
Phil

Old April 11th, 2004, 11:06 PM
Phil

There was a note from Jamie Heim back in Jan 2003 that linked to the
April 1989 mag article that not only describes the wolly bugger, but
also how it got its name.
Enjoy

http://www.branhamssal****erflytying...nalarticle.asp

Phil

Old April 11th, 2004, 11:39 PM
Stephen Welsh

Joe Branham wrote in
:

For those of you interested in this pattern and want to learn about
the actual originator and history of this pattern, I have posted a
short lead in article about the Woolly Bugger, one of the original
articles written by the originator in April 1989, some additional
information on the Woolly Bugger and the bio of the originator.

Just thought some of you might be interested in this.

Here is the address:
http://www.branhamssal****erflytying...es/woolybugger.
asp

Thanks for that Joe! So we have the Children to thank for naming (at
least) the Woolly Bugger and the Rat Face McDougal.

:-)

Steve

Old April 12th, 2004, 12:46 PM
JR

Joe Branham wrote:

For those of you interested in this pattern and want to learn about
the actual originator and history of this pattern, I have posted a
short lead in article about the Woolly Bugger, one of the original
articles written by the originator in April 1989, some additional
information on the Woolly Bugger and the bio of the originator.
http://www.branhamssal****erflytying...oolybugger.asp

Interesting read, Joe. Thanks. I love this sort of stuff. Though not
much of a fan of John Gierach in general, I did like his "Good Flies:
Favorite Trout Patterns and How They Got That Way," mostly for the
historical parts. A while back, when I thought I'd go fish Idaho top
to bottom, I bought a book called "Snake River Country," by Bruce
Staples. As things happen, I haven't yet made the trip, but I enjoy
browsing through the book, in large part because the section in the
back, about flies for the region, also has short bits on their origins.

In more or less the same vein, does anyone have a brief review of
Sylvester Nemes' new history of soft hackles he'd like to share?

JR
Old April 12th, 2004, 01:02 PM
Mike Connor

"JR" schrieb im Newsbeitrag
SNIP
In more or less the same vein, does anyone have a brief review of
Sylvester Nemes' new history of soft hackles he'd like to share?

JR

I got the book last week. I will post a review tomorrow.

TL
MC

Old April 12th, 2004, 01:18 PM
JR

Mike Connor wrote:

"JR" schrieb
SNIP
In more or less the same vein, does anyone have a brief review of
Sylvester Nemes' new history of soft hackles he'd like to share?

I got the book last week. I will post a review tomorrow.

Great. I do most of my English language book shopping through Amazon UK
these days (too much hassle with customs when I use Amazon US), and they
want £30.50 for it, plus shipping. YIKES. I need a bunch of positive
motivation before I spring for that many clams.

JR