New England Bass Fishing ??

Old July 4th, 2004, 02:29 PM
K-Style Kid

Default New England Bass Fishing ??

Hi All,

Been lurking a lot, was wondering how people here from New England are
doing ?

We have been seeing it really slow, with action during the day very
spotty...finding them in the deeper waters, and then up against the
shore later at night...using 5-6" T-rigged Senkos and floating frogs
and mice up on topwater.

Seems to pick up around 6-7PM until dark, that's the best time. Maybe
6-10 fish during this time, that's it.

Anyone else ?
Old July 5th, 2004, 01:31 AM
Nikolay

6-10 fish is a good day, dude :-)

Yes, it is a strange summer, I agree, but at least for me fishing has been
OK so far.

Cheers,
Nikolay

Old July 5th, 2004, 01:51 AM
RichZ

I've been fishing Champlain a lot. Last weekend was the best yet. We had a
good day on Sat doing a variety of things way down south, then on Sun, we
smoked 'em fishing green pumpkin creature baits in the scattered cabbage in
9 to 12 feet of water.

This weekend hasn't been bad here at home. Yesterday morning I did Hatch
pond and got 20 fish -- most under 2 pounds, but one was about 3.5.
Basically just bank fishing on a steep (for hatch) rocky shorline with a
lot of fallen trees. Creature baits and wacky riged spankies.

Today I went to mudge. Caught fish doing everything -- fishing the pads,
soft jerkbaiting the flats and outside weed edge, hard jerkbait on the
outside weed edge, and drop sotting in deep water. Stopped counting at 35
fish, but that was at 2, and I didn't leave till 6PM, and it didn't slow
down. Most fish were under 2, but I had 4 in the 3.5 to 4 pound range and
one 7 pounder. All the good fish came on the drop shot except one 3-1/2
pounder on a jerkbait. I'll post a link to the picture of the big fish
tomorrow. Need to go to be now. Got up at 3:45 the last two mornings.

RichZ©
www.richz.com/fishing

Old July 5th, 2004, 05:00 PM
RichZ

http://www.richz.com/fishing/images/..._drop_shot.jpg

Old July 6th, 2004, 01:18 AM
K-Style Kid

RichZ wrote in message ...
RichZ wrote:
I'll post a link to the picture of the big fish
tomorrow.

WOW !!
Old July 8th, 2004, 03:48 PM
dscotts

RichZ wrote:
I've been fishing Champlain a lot. Last weekend was the best yet. We had a
good day on Sat doing a variety of things way down south, then on Sun, we
smoked 'em fishing green pumpkin creature baits in the scattered cabbage in
9 to 12 feet of water.

Rich, when I bumped into up there at the Ti boat ramp when my buddy and
I were scoping the area out, you gave me a small handful of the creature
baits from that big bag of them you had on the boat. you gave me a
couple of the green pumpkin with red flake and pumpkin pepper, assuming
the colors. they look nice and I was meaning to ask you what brand were
these. thanks.

we did OK for the four days we were up there for a first time on water
that is infinite with places to fish and not bad if you were to use
Nikolay's gauge but only average or slightly below if using yours, the
fishing machine. one really good day just above the paper plant - allot
of pike on spinnerbaits that day was worth the trip - and a couple of
nice moments with one medium waste of a day fishing in the rain thrown
in and I think we probably fished a little too much with too little
sleep and sparse catching the last 2 days (the rain) which made for a
little grumpiness by the end of the week - so much water, so little
time. still, not bad for a couple of relative newbies to fishing for
bass and aside from hitting the Conn. river heavy at times a first
experience on any lake. hope to make it a annual occurrence, we can
understand your attraction and really for as productive as it can be,
not that crowded as again, there is so much water there even from around
Ti and down.

in the end I am coming to believe the old saying that I heard Bill Dance
say once on his show a few years back about the 90/10 rule of thumb -
90% of the fish are in 10% of the water. I have come to believe its not
that dramatic but it seems a good rule to keep in mind when approaching
water and I would say despite all your reports from the lake (greatly
appreciating) they offer some good starting off strategies but you still
have to spend precious fishing time hunting out those spots. I'll be back!

Old July 8th, 2004, 11:10 PM
RichZ

Dscotts wrote:
you gave me a small handful of the creature
baits from that big bag of them you had on the boat. you gave me a
couple of the green pumpkin with red flake and pumpkin pepper, assuming
the colors. they look nice and I was meaning to ask you what brand were
these. thanks.

That would be Lunker City's new Ozmo, which despite my best efforts is
still not on the market. Waiting on packaging (I just redid all their
packaging, and the new lures will never see the old packaging if I have
anything to say about it. Which I don't, actually) and on the last two or
three colors to be shot. The colors I gave you were watermelon redflake and
peanutbutter pumpkinseed.

FWIW, the day we ran into you on the water way down south, we had a real
good spinnerbait bite early (chartreuse/gold) and then it settled in to a
jerkbait/soft jerkbait bite on the hard-stuff spots once the sun came out
strong. Plus a bunch of mostly smaller fish on the drop-shot rig.

RichZ©
www.richz.com/fishing

Old July 9th, 2004, 12:54 AM
dscotts

RichZ wrote:
That would be Lunker City's new Ozmo, which despite my best efforts is
still not on the market. Waiting on packaging (I just redid all their
packaging, and the new lures will never see the old packaging if I have
anything to say about it. Which I don't, actually) and on the last two or
three colors to be shot. The colors I gave you were watermelon redflake and
peanutbutter pumpkinseed.

that explains it .... cause I vaguely remembered you said it was Lunker
City but I couldn't find it on their sight. they look good, all kinds of
undulating appendages!

FWIW, the day we ran into you on the water way down south, we had a real
good spinnerbait bite early (chartreuse/gold) and then it settled in to a
jerkbait/soft jerkbait bite on the hard-stuff spots once the sun came out
strong. Plus a bunch of mostly smaller fish on the drop-shot rig.

like I said, we're learning. but at least we caught fish every time out
- always a decent one or 2 - so better than some of the reports I read
around here from guys that are fishing their home waters, let alone a
new lake or on a lake for the first time. unlike you, that day we saw
you down south we could hardly buy a fish, although that spot you saw us
in we caught 6-7, mostly juniors, we were their for a reason. for
whatever reasons, that is a 10% spot.

we bumped into it the day before and probably caught 15 fish on a couple
of 3 visits out of it over the course of a few hours in the drizzling
rain after we hardly sniffed a fish all day, as well as another half
dozen (couple acceptable ones) up and down that bank all along those
reeds with the Mann's ghost. as for that spot, mostly juveniles in the
11- 12 in. range but every once in a while a decnt 2, 3, pounder came
out of there, caught some white perch out of that school of juves as
well. the funny part is 10 yards above or below and we rarely found a
fish but right back in that spot of maybe a 10 yard circle and bingo.
even if we'd drift it wrong because of the wind and theoretically
disturb the spot, it wouldn't matter. still caught them and its only
like 5 feet deep and sometimes we were right over top of them but it
didn't seem to matter. when their on, their on, I guess and could give a
crap about the world. every time we went buy we could see some fish
working and busting the top a little, obviously chasing bait fish
gathered their. why that spot for 2 days straight, or who knows how
long, out of all the rest of it, it would take a mind like yours to
better understand. but, I have it stored away for further review.