The story behind the story

Old March 22nd, 2006, 04:57 AM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.bass

Default The story behind the story

Lake Dixon is a small (70 acre) lake, it was mostly known for trout
fishing years ago. My son, John, and Mike Long have fished the lake
since they were kids. They discovered that the lake hid some really
large bass...they kept it a secret, and called it their "honey hole"
(Read in Sports A Field 3 years ago). About 6 years ago John spotted an
enormous bass, it was on a sunday, but he couldn't get the fish to eat
his bait. He finally called Mike, and told him about the fish. John had
to work the next day, but Mike was off, and went to hunt the big fish.
Mike found the big "lady", but he also couldn't get it to eat his
bait....but he went out the next day (John had to work again), and he
caught it! 21.7 lbs of giant bass! After that, their "honey hole" was
history, every big bass hunter in the area was alerted. Mac Weakley, and
Jed Dickerson were fairly novice bass fishermen back then, but saw the
opportunity at a big cash prize. They became obsessed with the idea of a
world record and the money end of it. They quizzed John about his
techniques....as quoted in the book Sowbelly, Jed said, "I learned a lot
from John Kerr". Mac, Jed, and their friend Budda devoted almost every
day to the search for the "big" fish. Three years ago, Jed finally
caught the same fish Mike had caught two years earlier...21.11 lbs.
After that, Mac, Jed, and Budda spent almost every day on the lake
(during spawning season), they did very little fishing the rest of the
year.....by this time they were in it for the money, and fame (by their
own admission). They finally realized their dream monday of this week.
They had been out the day before, and knew the big fish was there. They
made sure they were first on the lake by buying a camping permit which
gave them first place on a rental boat. That had been thier practice in
the past...being first in line if at all possible....I can't fault them
for that...they were dedicated! Everyone knew the record was in Lake
Dixon, and they found it.

I asked John how he felt about it tonight...he was on his cell phone, on
his way to Lake Mead to fish the pro Miller High Life WON tournament
this week-end. John just said, "I wish he had of got a good hook up
instead of a foul hook.". When I told him I wished it had of been him
that caught the big girl, he said, "Dad, I just don't have the time any
more, and those guys must have more money than me...it costs over $50 a
day to rent the boat, permits and all, and they fish it at least five
days a week, and I still have to work!". (John and Mike won the WON
team tournament at Otay Lake last saturday...$5,000, I said, "Use some
of that and have another crack at it!" grin)

I do not know Mac, Jed, or Budda personally, only through others, and my
son John. But I have no reason to criticize what they
accomplished...they were committed, and dedicated to an end....maybe
they accomplished that end yesterday!

footnote: It is not against the California fish and game laws to foul
hook a fish unintentionally. In most tournaments you must release the
fish no matter though.....and no matter the motive, Mac did release the
fish, which in my opinion, was the right thing to do.

John K

Disclaimer: The above is my own understanding of the facts, as related
to me by friends, and my son...plus some information from the book
Sowbelly. If there is any error in my reccolection...I apologize.

Old March 22nd, 2006, 06:03 AM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.bass

John it's so cool that your son indirectly had a bearing on this
momentous catch. The guy should be given the record. My sentiments
are echoed in this article:

http://www.bassfan.com/Opinion_article.asp?ID=60

Warren

Old March 22nd, 2006, 04:06 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.bass

Thanks John.... that's a great story.

I've been reading everything that's been discussed here in ROFB and really
hvae no opinion regarding the legitamacy of this catch because, and I'm sure
you feel the same way, these guys will succeed in catching this monster
again, legally! I'm sure that's why they did what they did... and I'm also
willing to bet that this will happen before the end of April.

I personally will hate to see the old record fall, but only because it was
always an elusive goal. I hope that when it does, that it's your son that
does it though! That would be awesome for you indeed, but somehow indirectly
awesome to ROFB as well.

Old March 22nd, 2006, 11:43 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.bass

The story behind the story

Group: rec.outdoors.fishing.bass Date: Wed, Mar 22, 2006, 10:06am From:
(Charles*B.*Summers)
Thanks John.... that's a great story.
I've been reading everything that's been discussed here in ROFB and
really hvae no opinion regarding the legitamacy of this catch because,
and I'm sure you feel the same way, these guys will succeed in catching
this monster again, legally! I'm sure that's why they did what they
did... and I'm also willing to bet that this will happen before the end
of April.
I personally will hate to see the old record fall, but only because it
was always an elusive goal. I hope that when it does, that it's your son
that does it though! That would be awesome for you indeed, but somehow
indirectly awesome to ROFB as well.
========
Thanks Charles, I would also love it if John happened to hook the big
fish...but he is more into the tourament thing now. He has one almost
every week, and he is dedicating a lot of time introducing my grandson,
Jordan, to the sport....and that is as important to him, and me, than
the "chase" involved in he big bass hunt right now! I was a single
parent raising the boys, and I thank the good Lord every day that they
took up sports rather than other things that the California lifestyle
might have tempted them with....I want no less for my grandsons!

John K

Old March 23rd, 2006, 12:29 AM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.bass

On Wed, 22 Mar 2006 17:57:32 -0600, (John Kerr) sent
into the ether:

The story behind the story

Group: rec.outdoors.fishing.bass Date: Wed, Mar 22, 2006, 7:35am From:

(Dan,Â*danl,Â*dannyÂ*boy,Â*Redbeard,Â*actually *GreybeardÂ*now)
On Tue, 21 Mar 2006 22:57:59 -0600,
(John Kerr) sent
into the ether:
Snip
footnote: It is not against the California fish and game laws to foul
hook a fish unintentionally. In most tournaments you must release the
fish no matter though.....and no matter the motive, Mac did release the
fish, which in my opinion, was the right thing to do.
John K
Disclaimer: The above is my own understanding of the facts, as related
to me by friends, and my son...plus some information from the book
Sowbelly. If there is any error in my reccolection...I apologize.
=======
Thanks John for insights you provide.
=======
Dan, thanks for the comments....being semi-retired, I have a lot of time
to "talk" fishing, I waited most of my life for that time to get here
grin.

JK

Sigh, I am still waiting. LOL

I've learned that I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy it! (That is what my X-wife told me)

Remove the x for e-mail reply
www.outdoorfrontiers.com
www.SecretWeaponLures.com
A proud charter member of "PETAF", People for Eating Tasty Animals and Fish!!!
Old March 23rd, 2006, 02:20 AM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.bass

I agree John, I'm just so excited that a world record bass does indeed
exist. I feel kinda sorry for it now, that fish will be under seige
bigtime. Should be quite a debacle.

My fishing is going great. I'm registered to fish the FLW Stren Series
this coming season. I have 20 tourneys already scheduled, first one is
April 1.

I'm glad John Jr is still mowing them down out West!

warren