OT Diets

Old February 27th, 2004, 05:44 PM
George Adams

Default OT Diets

Started dieting two weeks ago, and I was wondering if any of you have any
success/failure stories regarding dieting and weight loss. I'm using a modified
Atkins, low carb, but with a greater variety of veggies than allowed an the
strict Atkins regime. Results so far, 8 pounds lost in two weeks. I have had a
bad cold for most of this time, so haven't been exercising. I expect to do
better once I get back on the treadmill. I'm looking to lose around forty
pounds.

A few minor discoveries:
Splenda is a great substitute for sugar.....way ahead of the others in taste.
Sugar free Jello tastes the same as the regular stuff.
Diet soda tastes like soap.....I'm sticking with water.

George Adams

"All good fishermen stay young until they die, for fishing is the only dream of
youth that doth not grow stale with age."
---- J.W Muller

Old February 27th, 2004, 05:58 PM
Tim J.

"George Adams" wrote...
Started dieting two weeks ago, and I was wondering if any of you have any
success/failure stories regarding dieting and weight loss. I'm using a

modified
Atkins, low carb, but with a greater variety of veggies than allowed an the
strict Atkins regime. Results so far, 8 pounds lost in two weeks. snip

Bastid.
--
TL,
Tim

Old February 27th, 2004, 06:25 PM
Kevin Vang

In article , george9219
@aol.comnojunk says...
Started dieting two weeks ago, and I was wondering if any of you have any
success/failure stories regarding dieting and weight loss. I'm using a modified
Atkins, low carb, but with a greater variety of veggies than allowed an the
strict Atkins regime. Results so far, 8 pounds lost in two weeks.

My parents both went on Atkins about one year ago. Dad dropped from 245
to 195 (at last weigh-in) and Mom lost a similar amount (I don't
remember exact numbers, and even if I did, I'm not dumb enough to
say.) Also, their cholesterol levels dropped way down. My wife and I
reluctantly decided to go on Atkins this year; we started Feb. 1.
Jen lost 6 pounds in the first two weeks. I don't know what I lost,
because I haven't weighed myself yet, but my pants do actually feel a
bit loose lately.

I'm looking to lose around forty
pounds.

Ditto. I started at 250, and my target is 210. I'm hoping that
going public with this will help keep me disciplined.

A few minor discoveries:
Splenda is a great substitute for sugar.....way ahead of the others in taste.

It's close, but still no cigar. That's what I hate most about this
so far: forever having that artificial sweetener aftertaste in my
mouth.

Kevin,
who is also getting bored with meat and salad for dinner every
freakin' night.
Old February 27th, 2004, 06:44 PM
Frank Reid

I skipped lunch two days in a row and lost 8 lbs. :-) Seriously now, I've
got a high metabolism. Found myself drinking as many as 6 to 7 Dr. Peppers
a day (been doing that for over 20 years). Gave them up cold turkey in
October and lost 15 lbs. I'm also now doing regular exercise on the Total
Gym and, though I've not lost any weight, I've lost 3 inches around my waist
(down to a 31). Problem is, now I need new clothes.
--
Frank Reid
Reverse email to reply

Old February 27th, 2004, 06:51 PM
Tim J.

"Frank Reid" wrote...
I skipped lunch two days in a row and lost 8 lbs. :-) Seriously now, I've
got a high metabolism. Found myself drinking as many as 6 to 7 Dr. Peppers
a day (been doing that for over 20 years). Gave them up cold turkey in
October and lost 15 lbs. I'm also now doing regular exercise on the Total
Gym and, though I've not lost any weight, I've lost 3 inches around my waist
(down to a 31). Problem is, now I need new clothes.

The Reidinator, coming to a stream near you.
--
TL,
Tim

Old February 27th, 2004, 07:16 PM
Jeff Taylor

"George Adams" wrote in message
Started dieting two weeks ago, and I was wondering if any of you have any
success/failure stories regarding dieting and weight loss.

My folks started the Atkin's the first of the year, they have both lost 30
pounds...

I started at 235 lbs. and hope to drop down to around 205. The beer and
pizza diet hasn't worked so far, maybe if I switch to Lt. beer...

Jeff T.

Old February 27th, 2004, 07:35 PM
rb608

"George Adams" wrote in message
Started dieting two weeks ago, and I was wondering if any of you have any
success/failure stories regarding dieting and weight loss. I'm using a

modified
Atkins, low carb, but with a greater variety of veggies than allowed an

the
strict Atkins regime. Results so far, 8 pounds lost in two weeks. I have

had a
bad cold for most of this time, so haven't been exercising. I expect to do
better once I get back on the treadmill. I'm looking to lose around forty
pounds.

I'm a huge skeptic regarding "name brand" diets. Adkins is dead from
coronary artery disease. Those with a financial stake in selling his name
may have no qualms about downplaying the relevence of that; but IMO, it
ought to be a wakeup for anyone having the steak entree with a side order of
steak. I think almost everybody knows that eating less, eating more
sensibly, and getting regular exercise are the real keys. OTOH, if
following some predetermined regimen helps you do that, then it's served its
purpose.

As a preamble to my present, ongoing story, I'll boast that I am now a USSF
certified referee. In going through the coursework, however, it was clear
that I was going to need to do some serious running to do the job well. I
had to be honest and admit I was in no shape to chase kids up and down a
soccer field. So, beginning Feb. 4, I began cutting back on the food &
hitting the exercise equipment collecting dust around here. Nothing
approaching starvation, just taking smaller portions and resisting second
helpings. Basically, if I'm not hungry, I don't eat. Fortunately, I
actually like rice cakes (white cheddar).

I also started running. Thought I was going to die. As a testament to
just how far gone I was, the first day I managed a slow jog for about 1/4
mile before having to stop & suck air. Walked the rest of the mile. Three
weeks later, I can manage to run at a decent pace for about 3/4 mile without
feeling like I got hit by a truck. And this morning I finally hit the magic
200# mark, down from 215.

March 13 is my first game as a ref., in a 16-year-old boys tournament. If
I don't post after that, you'll know I'm dead. g

Joe F.

Old February 27th, 2004, 08:12 PM
Allen Epps

In article , rb608
wrote:

I'm a huge skeptic regarding "name brand" diets. Adkins is dead from
coronary artery disease.

I agree with your assessment of the name brand diet thing Joe but
Adkins died of head injuries he suffered during a fall on the ice.
There is some debate about his health prior but the it was the head
injury that did him in.

I've cut out any beer during the week (TGIF!) and started bring my
lunch to work vice fast food, back to the gym three days a week and
have lost 11 pound in two weeks.

Allen
Catonsville, MD
Old February 27th, 2004, 08:16 PM
rb608

"Allen Epps" wrote in message
I agree with your assessment of the name brand diet thing Joe but
Adkins died of head injuries he suffered during a fall on the ice.

That's what I get for not paying attention.

Joe F.