Name this fish

Old September 2nd, 2006, 08:32 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.saltwater
Charlie Bress

Default Name this fish

This fish was caught in Sarasota Bay. This is located on the Gulf of Mexico
south of Tampa Florida.
The picture appeared in the newspaper this morning and it does not look like
a fish that is found here.
Several years ago, I saw one similar caught a little further south. At that
time nobody in the area knew what it was.
There is nothing like in the various local guide books.
The most unusual characteristic is the lips.

http://home.comcast.net/~cbress/fish.bmp

We get all sorts of stragglers here of all kinds: fish, fowl, reptile,
insect and human.

Charlie

Old September 3rd, 2006, 04:10 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.saltwater
Musashi

Gerres erythrourus
Unfortunbately it is a fish native to Japam, Okinawa.
How it could end up in Florida is beyond me.
Here is a photo of a juvenile. Note the lip structure.
http://fishpix.kahaku.go.jp/fishimag...PHOTO_ID_OPT=2

Old September 3rd, 2006, 06:14 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.saltwater
Charlie Bress

"Musashi" wrote in message
m...
Gerres erythrourus
Unfortunbately it is a fish native to Japam, Okinawa.
How it could end up in Florida is beyond me.
Here is a photo of a juvenile. Note the lip structure.
http://fishpix.kahaku.go.jp/fishimag...PHOTO_ID_OPT=2

Well done!

A problem in Florida is created by people disposing of unwanted pets by
just letting them go into the wild.
Possibly someone removed them from an aquarium. We end up with a popuation
of non-native species of wildlife.

Thank you,
Charlie

Old September 6th, 2006, 01:41 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.saltwater
Dan Logcher

Musashi wrote:

Gerres erythrourus
Unfortunbately it is a fish native to Japam, Okinawa.
How it could end up in Florida is beyond me.
Here is a photo of a juvenile. Note the lip structure.
http://fishpix.kahaku.go.jp/fishimag...PHOTO_ID_OPT=2

Eaten as sushi?

--
Dan
Old September 6th, 2006, 01:59 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.saltwater
Musashi

"Dan Logcher" wrote in message
Musashi wrote:

Gerres erythrourus
Unfortunbately it is a fish native to Japam, Okinawa.
How it could end up in Florida is beyond me.
Here is a photo of a juvenile. Note the lip structure.

http://fishpix.kahaku.go.jp/fishimag...PHOTO_ID_OPT=2

Eaten as sushi?

--
Dan

Hi Dan. I've never seen this fish before in the fish markets in Japan, and
if it is native to Okinawa that is tropical waters
(like Florida). But, since it grows to about 10 inches length and is clearly
Tai-related (a member of the sea breams, sea perches)
it would clearly be a candidate for sushi/sashimi. I don't know to what
extent it may be utilized as a food fish down
in Okinawa and the islands in the area.

Old September 8th, 2006, 04:45 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.saltwater
Musashi

"ShagRiderF6" wrote in message
where is japaM

Same location as Japan when you hit the "m" key
instead of the "n" key next to it by accident.
Thank you for noticing.

Old September 14th, 2006, 06:12 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.saltwater
Texx Smith

Default Nope - It's actually a . .

That looks like a fish I see alot along coastal Florida. It's common name
is "Porgy" and tier's several different kinds. This is one of the most
common, perhaps even the most common.
http://images.google.com/images?q=po...=Search+Images

http://FloridaFishingInformation.com
http://FloridaPhotoGallery.com

Old September 15th, 2006, 02:49 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.saltwater
Charlie Bress

Maybe not.
The fish in the original post as well as the one in the answer from Japan
have horizontal marking on the side.
All the varieties of porgy that I could find show vertical markings.

Also the mystery fish has prominent lips, almost like a sucker.
None of the porgies shown in Vic Dunaway's "Sport Fish of Florida" have lips
like this.

Charlie