MD Fly Show - The aftermash

Old January 10th, 2004, 09:05 PM
Frank Reid

Default MD Fly Show - The aftermash

Went to the show with Allen Epps. First thing in, we saw a presentation on
fishing for smallies with Harry Murray. Very good info. Wandered around,
buying tons of things. Found a booth for a store called "English Angling
Trappings at Anglers' Den (http://www.anglers-den.com)." The guy claimed
that if I needed it to tie, he probably had it. Okay, how about
yellow-olive goose shoulder or turkey? "Right in this drawer." Well,
here's a stumper, crawfish-orange-dyed pine squirrel zonker? "Straight or
cross-cut?" "Olive snowshoe rabbits foot?", says I, getting a bit
desparate. "Dark or light olive." Okay, sweat is pouring down my face in
the 15 degree winter chill. "Urine tinged, female red fox underbelly?"
Hah! I have him! "Dark pink or light?" I'm a beaten man. I throw in the
wallet (he seemed to like that better than the sweaty towel). "Oh, by the
way, you can get a better deal on zonkers if you make your own, how 'bout a
zonker strip cutting tool." "Take the Mastercard," says I.
Allen and I went to the lobby at noon. There we met Lou T., Wayne Hart, and
Joe & Cindy Fleischman and family. We headed up the street for a chinese
buffet and some chat. A good time was had by all.
It was wonderful seeing a lot of folks that I only get to see at the show.
Tim Trexlar (Irish Grandmaster Fly Tying Champion who is soon to be in a
major artsy-fartsy fly fishing magazine), Joe Bruce, Fishy Fullum, Harry
Murray, and others. The show is a great way to reconnect in the middle of
winter and plan your next years trip. Its open tomorrow, so give it a shot
if you're in the area.
--
Frank Reid
Reverse email to reply

Old January 10th, 2004, 09:12 PM
Frank Reid

The show is a great way to reconnect in the middle of
winter and plan your next years trip. Its open tomorrow, so give it a

shot
if you're in the area.

'Nother thing. Frog Hair tippet guys were there giving a demo on their
product. Convinced me. Bought 5 spools and got a free hat (need to buy
three to get the hat). Definately worth the try for the year.
--
Frank Reid
Reverse email to reply

Old January 10th, 2004, 09:30 PM
Willi

Frank Reid wrote:

The show is a great way to reconnect in the middle of
winter and plan your next years trip. Its open tomorrow, so give it a

shot

if you're in the area.

'Nother thing. Frog Hair tippet guys were there giving a demo on their
product. Convinced me. Bought 5 spools and got a free hat (need to buy
three to get the hat). Definately worth the try for the year.

What was the demo? I tried it and found it very flexible (which I liked)
but no stronger than other brands. I liked it but didn't feel it was
worth the extra cost.

Willi

Old January 10th, 2004, 10:08 PM
Frank Reid

What was the demo? I tried it and found it very flexible (which I liked)
but no stronger than other brands. I liked it but didn't feel it was
worth the extra cost.

They put a knot in it and let you pull till it broke. Then they put the
same knot in any of the other major brands (you pick) and did the same
thing. They also just let you do a pull test. Due to the little bit of
extra stretch in it, it seem to be much better taking the stress. It may be
crap on abrasive stone, I don't know. It just seemed a lot stronger for the
same test, less brittle.

--
Frank Reid
Reverse email to reply

Old January 11th, 2004, 01:28 AM
rw

Frank Reid wrote:
What was the demo? I tried it and found it very flexible (which I liked)
but no stronger than other brands. I liked it but didn't feel it was
worth the extra cost.

They put a knot in it and let you pull till it broke. Then they put the
same knot in any of the other major brands (you pick) and did the same
thing. They also just let you do a pull test. Due to the little bit of
extra stretch in it, it seem to be much better taking the stress. It may be
crap on abrasive stone, I don't know. It just seemed a lot stronger for the
same test, less brittle.

So it's acting like a shock tippet? That's interesting. How did you do
the pull test? Was it a steady pull, instead of a sharp, sudden pull? If
so, the "shock tippet" theory is probably bogus, and you were perhaps
taken in by some good salesmanship (and a cool hat).

Old January 11th, 2004, 01:53 AM
Wayne Knight

"Frank Reid" moc.deepselbac@diersicnarf wrote in message

'Nother thing. Frog Hair tippet guys were there giving a demo on their
product. Convinced me. Bought 5 spools and got a free hat (need to buy
three to get the hat). Definately worth the try for the year.

Switched all of my manufactored leaders and tippet to frog hair last year.
It may not be absolutely stronger than the other tippets but seems to
stretch better, but does not seem to break off as easily.

Old January 11th, 2004, 03:08 AM
rb608

"Frank Reid" moc.deepselbac@diersicnarf wrote in message
Allen and I went to the lobby at noon. There we met Lou T., Wayne Hart,

and
Joe & Cindy Fleischman and family. We headed up the street for a chinese
buffet and some chat. A good time was had by all.

I was going to post the subject line "MD Chinese Buffet Clave". As Frank
says, the show was pretty good with a good assortment of tying demos, lodge
proprietors, tying supplies, rod dealers, and the whole gamut of the ffing
world. Right on schedule, the above-mentioned crew gathered in the lobby
for a short chat before heading up the road for a bite. I've missed the MD
show for a couple years, so it was great to reconnect with a few guys I
haven't seen in a while. At least one ROFFian was seen eating tofu, and I
have the picture to prove it.

After the lunch clave, we all pretty much went our seprate ways once again.
With our diverse range of interests, the family & I took a more leisurely
and curious stroll through the aisles, taking in the variety and coveting
the expensive. I managed to escape without major damage to my plastic,
emerging with only a Harry Murray book.

Cool event; I'm glad I went.

Joe F.

Old January 11th, 2004, 04:59 AM
Stan Gula

"Frank Reid" moc.deepselbac@diersicnarf wrote in message
Found a booth for a store called "English Angling
Trappings at Anglers' Den (http://www.anglers-den.com)."

Yes, they have everything. Jim Krul sold English Angling to Anglers' Den
last year.

Did you find the dyed peccary quills? Sold as DST (dyed specially treated)
Quills. They took almost $30 from me last week in Danbury.

Old January 11th, 2004, 01:45 PM
Frank Reid

Did you find the dyed peccary quills? Sold as DST (dyed specially
treated)
Quills. They took almost $30 from me last week in Danbury.

That little peccary was standing .... uh, peccary, uh no. Nice store,
really nice store. Not long on the fancy hackles, but they had pretty much
everything else.
--
Frank Reid
Reverse email to reply

Old January 11th, 2004, 01:49 PM
Frank Reid

Cool event; I'm glad I went.
Joe F.

Oooh, I'd gotten a mental block on the tofu incident. Right in front of me
too! Quivering and white. Uuuugggh. Oh, yeh, the tofu, not Epps.
It was good seeing you all again. Until Penns.
Cheers.