Secret Weapon

Old May 25th, 2005, 09:19 PM
Chris Rennert

Default Secret Weapon

I know a lot of you guys have no idea how I fish, but I use a
Spinnerbait very rarely. This past Sunday I was in a area where a
spinnerbait would shine, and I only use one brand of spinnerbait now
(secret weapon), and on my first pitch with it up under a dock (The way
I work a spinnerbait is more similar to a jig than the normal cast and
retrieve), I engaged the reel and just used the rod to pick the
spinnerbait up, and a 17" x 13" Largemouth got stuck :-). My first
legal on a Secret weapon spinnerbait. For the most part, I have
substituded crankbaits for spinnerbaits, but sometimes you just can't
beat a big spinnerbait for quality fish!

Chris
Old May 25th, 2005, 10:36 PM
Charles B. Summers

WOW Chris! Way to build that spinnerbait confidence in a hurry.

I too, had a problem with wanting to fish spinnerbaits, but after some
pretty nice catches... I always have one tied on somewhere. All of my
largest bass from Percy Priest have been caught on spinnerbaits, and I'm
sure that everyone here knows which color.

Please keep in mind as you read the rest of this, that I am NOT trying to
spam the group with what I am about to say. I've said this here before, long
before I was a part of SWLures...

Percy Priest is a very popular lake here in Nashville with fishermen,
pleasure boats, water-skiers, jet-skiers, and swimmers. In other words, it's
a very crowded lake. So, with all the fishermen on the lake (at least one
tournament happening on any given day), there are alot of baits going by
these fish. Everyone is throwing spinnerbaits/buzzbaits. So I have always
wondered if the bass were just plain stupid, or there was something
different about "Bob's spinnerbaits", as I use to call them. Anyway, I was
catching lot of fish on them, and like I said... my largest JPP bass
(5.9lbs, 4.4lbs, 4.11lbs) have all come on the same type of bait that most
people on the lake throw. The only difference that I could see was that the
blades on mine acted differently and sounded differently than everyone
elses. (That and my favorite green colors!). Add the turtleback blades and
you have something that most people don't have. I've only seen a few select
baits on the rack with a turtleback blade, although they are getting a
little more popular now... much to my dismay.

We appreciate being your only spinnerbait source, but remember to try to
make your bait act, look, and feel different that what everyone else is
doing. You'll need to post some pics of that fish too!

. ..

Old May 26th, 2005, 03:08 AM
Chris Rennert

Charles B. Summers wrote:
[...]

I apologize, I didn't want to come across like I never threw
spinnerbaits in the past, matter of fact, quite the opposite. From 14
years old till about 21 years old I threw 3 baits. A #11 Black/Silver
Floating Rapala, Plastic worm, and a White Spinnerbait always with a
colorado blade. I had and have all the confidence in the world with
them, but like you eluded to in your email with the constant barrage of
spinnerbaits flying at these fish, I looked for something different in
the same situation, and it has paid off big time. But, I always , and I
mean always have a rod rigged with a Spinnerbait, and that rod is always
on the deck waiting to be used. There are not many baits you can use
that can consistently catch fish from from 20' to less than 1' of water,
from crystal clear to choclate milk. Taking spinnerbait fishing to
another level with understand blade size, color, and texture
combinations you can pretty much cover any situation. Sunday , I
watched 2 boats go past the same dock flipping jigs, so I decided to
throw a spinnerbait, and you know the result. My crankbait didn't get
into the strike zone quick enough, and a jig was redundant, so my
spinnerbait was the natural pick for me.

As for Secret WEapon, the blade change was the selling point for me. On
Winnebago within a hundred yards I could be in clear enough water to
fish a Willow leaf, and then have to switch to a colorado blade because
I am down to a couple inches of vis.

Thank you Charles, I don't think you were there when I bought this bait.
I believe it was Joe, Steve H. and Heavy working the booth in Madison.
I also received one in the gift pack at the NWC last year :-).

Thanks again,

Chris
Old May 26th, 2005, 02:40 PM
Charles B. Summers

Yeah... they wouldn't let me go to the Madison show. I think it was
something Steve Huber said about too many "good-looking" Tennesseans in the
north at one time, or something like that. Those Wisconsin girls go wild
everytime we're up there...

Old May 26th, 2005, 03:28 PM
Bob La Londe

"Charles B. Summers" wrote in message
Yeah... they wouldn't let me go to the Madison show. I think it was
something Steve Huber said about too many "good-looking" Tennesseans in

the
north at one time, or something like that. Those Wisconsin girls go wild
everytime we're up there...

At the risk of offending some Wisconsinites... Ham's are in short supply in
a lot of areas. I had a friend describe it best when we visited a country
tavern there and it was almost all girls in side. (It was not a topless
joint. LOL) Many areas in Wisconsin seem to have a preponderance of
females.

Old May 26th, 2005, 03:37 PM
Bob La Londe

"Bob La Londe" wrote in message

"Charles B. Summers" wrote in message
Yeah... they wouldn't let me go to the Madison show. I think it was
something Steve Huber said about too many "good-looking" Tennesseans in

the
north at one time, or something like that. Those Wisconsin girls go wild
everytime we're up there...

At the risk of offending some Wisconsinites... Ham's are in short supply

in
a lot of areas. I had a friend describe it best when we visited a country
tavern there and it was almost all girls in side. (It was not a topless
joint. LOL) Many areas in Wisconsin seem to have a preponderance of
females.

Almost forgot. Here is the description my buddy had for the experience.
"For the first time in my life I knew what it was like to be evaluated as
meat."