Connecting fishfinder to trolling motor wiring

Old August 19th, 2004, 03:37 PM
Lester

Default Connecting fishfinder to trolling motor wiring

I attached my transducer (Fishmark 480) next to the prop and to keep
things compact, want to attach the screen right on top of the trolling
motor (using high quality electrical tape :-)).
To keep wiring neat, I was thinking of splicing the power cable
attached to the motor (under the handle) and routing the fishfinder
power directly to it. Anything wrong with this setup? I'm concerned
about potential interference.
I currently attach the finder directly to the motor battery and all
works fine except the fact that the boat looks like Edison's lab.
(Does anyone make a wireless transducer??)
BTW the Fishmark is AWESOME, I just look at the fishies on the screen
scroll by and sometimes don't even have time to fish.
Old August 19th, 2004, 10:17 PM
SimRacer

"Lester" wrote in message
om...
I attached my transducer (Fishmark 480) next to the prop and to keep
things compact, want to attach the screen right on top of the trolling
motor (using high quality electrical tape :-)).
To keep wiring neat, I was thinking of splicing the power cable
attached to the motor (under the handle) and routing the fishfinder
power directly to it. Anything wrong with this setup? I'm concerned
about potential interference.
I currently attach the finder directly to the motor battery and all
works fine except the fact that the boat looks like Edison's lab.
(Does anyone make a wireless transducer??)
BTW the Fishmark is AWESOME, I just look at the fishies on the screen
scroll by and sometimes don't even have time to fish.

I wouldn't splice into the troller's power supply due to the fact that the
installed cable, intact, was what was designed to deliver the high amperage
that the motor alone likely requires. To splice into that cable, even very
neatly, may compromise the wiring and cause trouble with both the trolling
motor and fish finder down the road. And besides, using the finder on the
trolling battery uses precious voltage that could go to making it last
longer for those extra long days on the lake. I personally wired my front
finder station on my boat to the (factory installed) fuse block under my
console. Required about 10 ft of 16 ga, some snippers, a fuse and about 10
minutes, finished up with a few strategically placed wire ties. I know that
fuse block comes off the starting battery for my OB, but I like to save all
the trolling battery's juice for the trolling motor.

And I'd also never wire a finder directly to a battery for fear of cooking
it should something happen in the boat's electrical that caused a short or
spike. I'd wire in a fuse regardless of how you decide to go for the power
or you may find yourself buying a new finder sooner than you'd like.