multipiece bass rod?

Old December 13th, 2007, 11:59 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.bass
Calif Bill

Default multipiece bass rod?

Looking for a good multi-piece rod to go in the luggage. Should be able to
handle a 10-12# Rainbow Bass (related to a Peacock Bass). Taking SWMBO to
Costa Rica next year for 40th anniversary. Need one that will fit in the
suitcase.
sort of
http://www.basspro.com/webapp/wcs/st...earchR esults

Old December 14th, 2007, 12:31 AM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.bass
Bob La Londe

Cabelas has the Fsh Eagle II pack rods in the Bargain Cave right now. One
is 7' MH 4 piece. that should pack just fine. Put it inside a piece of
plastic pipe in your luggage and you should be good to go.

"Calif Bill" wrote in message
Looking for a good multi-piece rod to go in the luggage. Should be able

handle a 10-12# Rainbow Bass (related to a Peacock Bass). Taking SWMBO to
Costa Rica next year for 40th anniversary. Need one that will fit in the
suitcase.
sort of

http://www.basspro.com/webapp/wcs/st...y?storeId=1015
1&catalogId=10001&langId=-1&partNumber=59075&hvarTarget=search&cmCat=Searc hR
esults

Old December 14th, 2007, 01:41 AM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.bass
Steve @ OutdoorFrontiers

"Calif Bill" wrote in message
Looking for a good multi-piece rod to go in the luggage. Should be able
to handle a 10-12# Rainbow Bass (related to a Peacock Bass). Taking SWMBO
to Costa Rica next year for 40th anniversary. Need one that will fit in
the suitcase.
sort of
http://www.basspro.com/webapp/wcs/st...earchR esults

Bill,

I've never been a fan of multiple piece rods, to the extent that I only own
two, two-piece rods, and they're both specialty rods built on fly rod
blanks. It's my feeling that you lose sensitivity and backbone with a
multiple piece rod. Even the reviews on BassPro's website state the same.
Two of the four reviews I would consider to be "mixed" reviews.

I've traveled all over the world and have taken seven foot, one piece rods
along on those trips without trouble. The rod case I use is this exact
model and I've never had an issue with any of the airlines and after each
trip, my rods have survived intact.

http://www.basspro.com/webapp/wcs/st...earchRe sults

The nice thing is that you can use it as your second piece of luggage. It's
amazing how many t-shirts and polo shirts you can get into the tube when you
wrap them around the rods. This serves double-duty. It carries clothing
you'll need while on vacation and they protect the rod from baggage
handlers.

Use the rods you already have (they're probably better anyway), keep the
reels and a couple Plano boxes (with lures) in your other piece of checked
luggage.

Besides, the rod tube is cheaper.
--
Steve @ OutdoorFrontiers
http://www.outdoorfrontiers.com

Old December 14th, 2007, 03:11 AM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.bass
Calif Bill

"Steve @ OutdoorFrontiers" wrote in message

"Calif Bill" wrote in message
[...]

I take a rod tube to Cabo when I go there and to San Diego for tuna. But we
are going for a month and will be in some small airplanes with a 25# baggage
limit. Will use the resort on the Rio Colorado for tarpon supplied gear,
and any bill fish in the Pacific, but for some bass fishing in Lake Arenal
and some surf fishing in both the Pacific and Carib sides, I think I will
take one break down rod and my Calcutta 251 reel. If I go to CR again
sometime I will have better knowledge as to gear. I use a bass pole / 251
and Crocs for plugging off the shore in Cabo with success, jsut want an
easier rod to carry.

Old December 16th, 2007, 06:47 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.bass
D. Norton

Bill, I doubt you will find a factory built rod better than your example.
I understand your reasoning regarding the use of a pack rod for your
situation. But unless you find some one to build what you want you will
probably have to settle for something factory made.Besides their price was
pretty good.

While not wanting to step on any toes I have to disagree with Steve as to
sensitivity, I mean how many one piece flyrods can you find. Correctly
designed, multi piece rods
can give the same comparative power and action as one piece rods.

Just my 2 cents worth!

Now it's back to lurking...............hehehe!
____________________
Dave Norton
Still alive & kickin as "therodmaker"

Old December 16th, 2007, 09:15 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.bass
Calif Bill

"D. Norton" wrote in message
. ..
Bill, I doubt you will find a factory built rod better than your example.
I understand your reasoning regarding the use of a pack rod for your
situation. But unless you find some one to build what you want you will
probably have to settle for something factory made.Besides their price was
pretty good.

While not wanting to step on any toes I have to disagree with Steve as to
sensitivity, I mean how many one piece flyrods can you find. Correctly
designed, multi piece rods
can give the same comparative power and action as one piece rods.

Just my 2 cents worth!

Now it's back to lurking...............hehehe!
____________________
Dave Norton
Still alive & kickin as "therodmaker"

I bought the:
1 of 11-7947 XML CASTING PACK ROD XCLC663X-4 @ $79.88 each
In stock-Approx delivery Mon 12/24

From Cabelas Bargain cave. When I used to travel for business, I took a
small pack rod at times, but rarely got to use it. But the PVC tube I made
for carrying it, was still a pain to deal with. I figure most of the
fishing will be with a guide who will furnish gear, but there should be some
opportunities to fish some of the small lakes and ponds in Costa Rica from
shore as well as some salt surf casting for Rooster fish or some other local
fish.

Old December 18th, 2007, 03:09 AM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.bass
Ronnie

On Dec 13, 5:59 pm, "Calif Bill" wrote:
Looking for a good multi-piece rod to go in the luggage. Should be able to
handle a 10-12# Rainbow Bass (related to a Peacock Bass). Taking SWMBO to
Costa Rica next year for 40th anniversary. Need one that will fit in the
suitcase.
sort ofhttp://www.basspro.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?store...

I went to Alaska last August. Before leaving I looked for a rod I
could pack - friend that owns a local sporting goods store gave me a
"Spiderman" rod that collapsed into itself. it was a five foot rod
that collapsed down to about 14 inches long. I put a Shimano Sedona
reel spooled with 8 pound PLine Flourocarbon line on it and tied on a
1.8 ounce curly tail crappie jig.

During the trip I caught about a dozen salmon on that rod ranging from
a 5 pound pink to a 12 pound chum. Some made screaming runs through
shallows and the rod was bent double many times. Sometimes I had to
put all the pressure the line would stand on it stopping a run before
they got to brush. The rod held up find. I gave it back to him w hen
I returned!

The rod and matching reel had a price of $12,99! Sometimes you get
more than you pay for.

I posted the story and some pictures at
http://fishing.about.com/od/troutand...hum_salmon.htm

Ronnie

http://fishing.about.com
Old December 18th, 2007, 03:11 AM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.bass
Ronnie

On Dec 17, 9:09 pm, Ronnie wrote:
[...]

make that a 1/8 ounce jig

Ronnie

http://fishing.about.com
Old December 18th, 2007, 04:51 AM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.bass
Calif Bill

"Ronnie" wrote in message
On Dec 17, 9:09 pm, Ronnie wrote:
[...]

I know what you mean. While in Tampa in the 1980's on business, I bought a
Shimano spinning combo at K-mart for about $23. Forget the number of the
reel. Rod is long gone from breakage, but I still love the reel and use it.