Woo Hoo New PB X2

Old June 30th, 2007, 11:43 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.bass
Bob La Londe

Default Woo Hoo New PB X2

Just won my third tournament ever. 1st one all on me. Well, my son netted
all the big fish. This was also my first personal bag over 20 pounds, and I
upgrade my PB biggest LM to a 6.99. Didn't get big fish though. There were
a 7.27 and a 7.20 weighed in ahead of me.

Thanks for all the help guys.

--
Bob La Londe
Fishing Arizona & The Colorado River

Old July 1st, 2007, 12:31 AM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.bass
Bass_Mr.

Way to go Bob !
Have you got some pics ?
.. .

Old July 1st, 2007, 01:03 AM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.bass
Bob La Londe

"Bass_Mr." wrote in message
news
Way to go Bob !
Have you got some pics ?

I do not. I have to be hnest I didn't think the big fish was that big or
the total bag was that big until I started taking them out of the livewell.

Old July 1st, 2007, 02:57 AM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.bass
Chris Rennert

Congratulations Bob!!!!!! 6.99...Awesome!!!!! Just to see that fish come
up in a tournament, that would be something.

Old July 1st, 2007, 03:05 AM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.bass
Jim Laumann

Well done! Very well done.

Jim

Old July 1st, 2007, 04:27 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.bass
Bob La Londe

Default Woo Hoo New PB X2 (credit where credit is due))

I have to give some credit where credit is due. That big fish came on a
popper on ten pound mono. The strike was in open water, but she quickly
managed to take me into the trash. I positioned the boat as close as I
could get. She was half around a small tulie clump, but basically in open
water. Well she was in an open pocket surrounded by tulies. I held her
firm without letting the drag slip on its own twice when she tried to head
for the thick stuff. As it was I was sweating. You should have seen
Robbert stretch with that net. He was one arming it while staying int he
boat by hanging ont the boat cleat with his fingers. I think the only parts
of him still in the boat where his toes and the fingers wrapped around the
cleat. I was proud of the way he swung that heavy rubber net. It did the
job. In fct in the back of my mind I was remembering that I was going to
take the rubber net out of the boat and throw in my nylon net because the
rubber one is a little heavy for him to swing with BOTH hands and at the
same time I was being amazed that he was one arming it around that fish. I
guess he gets that adrenalyn strength surge like I do. Good thing too.

Here is the commercial part. That mono was Suffix Seige. I had retied
three times already that monring, but that mono line hadn't let me down.
I've found with any mono a big fish will stress the knot, so I've gotten in
the habit of breaking off and retying anytime I catch a fish that gives me a
good fight. Still, ten pound mono help a big fish half around the tulies,
and even held her when I cupped the spool and slowed the drag with my palm.
I am convinced this is good stuff.

Speaking of knots. I lost a big fish flipping heavy cover later in the day.
I set the hook and it stripped drag immediately three times. Zip! Zip! Zip!
and then the knot gave. I don't recall the last time I retied the hook on
the 50 lb braid I was using. Its easy to forget to do when you are using a
super lione hook on 50 braid, but even on braid you have to remember to
retie once in while. On my flipping sticks I keep the drag cinched down
fairly tight to try and get them out of the heavy stuff fast. Usually it
works. If I had retied that hook it probably would have been ok yesterday,
but I made a rooky mistake and cost myself a good fish.

Old July 1st, 2007, 05:49 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.bass
johnval1

"Bob La Londe" wrote in message
Speaking of knots. I lost a big fish flipping heavy cover later in the
day. I set the hook and it stripped drag immediately three times. Zip!
Zip! Zip! and then the knot gave. I don't recall the last time I retied
the hook on the 50 lb braid I was using. Its easy to forget to do when
you are using a super lione hook on 50 braid, but even on braid you have
to remember to retie once in while.

Bob, what type of knots were you tying on the mono and the braid? I use a
braid knot on most of my braid, but I have also gotten lazy and used an
improved clinch at times.

Old July 1st, 2007, 06:49 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.bass
Bob La Londe

"johnval1" wrote in message
t...

"Bob La Londe" wrote in message
Speaking of knots. I lost a big fish flipping heavy cover later in the
day. I set the hook and it stripped drag immediately three times. Zip!
Zip! Zip! and then the knot gave. I don't recall the last time I retied
the hook on the 50 lb braid I was using. Its easy to forget to do when
you are using a super lione hook on 50 braid, but even on braid you have
to remember to retie once in while.

Bob, what type of knots were you tying on the mono and the braid? I use a
braid knot on most of my braid, but I have also gotten lazy and used an
improved clinch at times.

Trilene Knot. I've had better luck with it than any other knot.

What is a braid knot?

The only issue I have EVER had with a Trilene knot is that it can slip a
little bit if you don't get it cinched down snug initially. Since I started
leaving a longer tag (1/4" minimum) I have not had an issue with it since.
All the Palomar guys will no doubt jump all over me, but I have had to many
Palomar knots break on me to easy. Besides I have been tying the Trilene
knot for over 30 years and I can tie iut pretty easily even in low light or
when hold a flashlight in my mouth.