All Night Fishing

Old June 6th, 2005, 06:40 AM

Default All Night Fishing

All-night hangouts
JULIE FITZGERALD | CIN WEEKLY CORRESPONDENT

Fishing all night is not just about sitting lakeside waiting for "big
bud" to bite your hook.

It's about building a huge campfire, pitching a tent (ha) and hanging
out with friends as you discover the one of the nicest 24-hour pay
lakes in the area: Lake Isabella.

LAKESIDE ADVENTURES

Part of the Hamilton County park system, Lake Isabella provides a
clean, beachy campground for fishing from dusk 'til dawn.

However, as someone who thinks fishing is "stinky," and wonders who
purchases tackle-shop shirts that read "Shut up and fish," I think the
best part of hanging out at this family-friendly lake is all the other
stuff you can do.

Located in Symmes Township near Loveland, Lake Isabella provides an
excellent spot for people-watching, telling stories by the light of a
lantern, sneaking a little make-out session in the dark ... and
chatting with Barry Mohlman.

Retired from his career as a city budget manager, Mohlman works at Lake
Isabella's tackle shop from 11 p.m. to 6 a.m. every other weekend.
Though his wife says he looks like the Gorton's Fisherman, Mohlman
doesn't fish as often as he did when he was a kid.

"I know this sounds corny, but I like working here because this is one
of the few places I ever saw my dad happy," he says. "He took me
fishing here and he caught a walleye - real good eating - and he was
just so happy."

IN THE BOATHOUSE

Working third shift at the Boathouse tackle shop, Mohlman passes the
time by reading, watching TV or brushing up on Buddhist philosophy. He
kindly makes sure everyone is taken care of, whether he's ringing up
live bait or blue-raspberry Slush Puppies for them.

"They buy firewood ($3.99/bundle), they rent boats ... and they camp,"
he says.

The Boathouse, a brightly-lit place for buying poles ($10-$60),
bobbers, nets and soda, is great for last-minute items you might have
forgotten at home.

Most people stop in during the night for bait. Mohlman says a pack of
frozen chicken livers ($1-$2) makes for good carp bait. They thaw
within minutes, making them easy to use, but I think "real"
fisherpersons should go for the live stuff. Choose your bait from tubs
of chubs, shiners, minnows, nightcrawlers or goldfish (my favorite
because it's shocking to buy them for bait, not pets).

With paid $7.50 12-hour admission, you can take home your fresh catch.
Just don't expect Mohlman to clean and gut it for you.

"They don't pay me enough for that," he says.

DON'T FORGET ...

Bring your own lanterns, flashlights and bug spray. And don't bring any
beer to the lake. Alcohol is outlawed, and the grounds are patrolled
24/7 by Hamilton County park rangers.

Initially I was disappointed to hear that, but at least this ensures no
one passes out early and misses the sunrise over this peaceful lake.

"Really, it's a bonding experience," Mohlman says.

FISHING AT
LAKE ISABELLA

WHEN: Open 24 hours now through September

WHE 10174 Loveland-Madeira Road, Symmes Twp. (Take Interstate 275
east to exit 52, Loveland/Indian Hill. Follow signs to Lake Isabella.)

PRICE: $7.50 per adult (age 13 and over)

PARKING: $1

CONTACT: (513) 791-1663

http://archive.cinweekly.com/content..._entertain.asp