Yammy 150SX question

Old March 10th, 2004, 01:29 AM
Bill Durham

Default Yammy 150SX question

Hey Guys,

Big time lurker here in North Georgia...Kennesaw

I have a Yamaha 150SX...Ocean rated outboard motor that is a 2000 year
model. I bought it used in 2002 and it is a dream. My question is when
should it be due for a water pump impellor? I did not find it listed in
the maintenance schedule for replacement anywhere.

thanks for any info and tight lines to everybody!

BD

Old March 10th, 2004, 01:43 AM
RichG

Hmmmm.... Depending on whom you believe ( I believe my very conservative and
so far, totally honest, repair guy of five years and three boats......)....
Yamaha impellors have a different configuration than some others. They don't
go bad slowly. They just QUIT.

That said, I recently bought a '97 40 hp Yamaha with its original impellor
still pumping water just fine. I changed it out on the recommendation of the
same repair guy while he was doing the lower unit fluids. No matter WHO you
believe 1997 to 2004 is way too long for any impellor, especially when it
is run in salt water.

I will change it every 18 months whether it needs it or not. It is just too
important a part to save a few bucks every year and a half. By the way, my
guy said that he and many others have complained to Yamaha that the "total
breakdown" impellor is the only weak spot in the engine. To no avail.
RichG

--
RichG
http://groups.msn.com/CarolinaSkiffOwners

Old March 10th, 2004, 01:55 AM
Bill Durham

RichG wrote:

Hmmmm.... Depending on whom you believe ( I believe my very conservative and
so far, totally honest, repair guy of five years and three boats......)....
Yamaha impellors have a different configuration than some others. They don't
go bad slowly. They just QUIT.

I will change it every 18 months whether it needs it or not. It is just too
important a part to save a few bucks every year and a half. By the way, my
guy said that he and many others have complained to Yamaha that the "total
breakdown" impellor is the only weak spot in the engine. To no avail.
RichG

Rich,

thanks for the info, I'm leaning toward replacing it for sure. Any idea what
the price should be for that?

BD