Lost confidence, help please

Old February 10th, 2005, 08:48 PM
Angus Gilmour

Default Lost confidence, help please

Hi.

I have been fishing for Trout, Salmon and Sea Trout for over 40 years and I
now need to replace some of my tackle. The last time I bought a rod was in
1989! I recall paying over £500 then...... it has served me very well. I
cast a perfect 12 yards and can cast 26 yds without false casting, but at
that point my technique suffers. I am registered and on target to achieve
Level 2 coach certified by the Salmon and Trout Association. I had an hours
tuition last week with Charles Jardine and it was very clear that the
equipment I was using was hindring my fishing in todays market.

The trouble is, that I have not kept up to date with modern materials,
styles and other paraphanalia to be a coach in todays world. I would like
to practice what I preach and thus I need to know what is the best general
prupose rod, reel and line to buy to fish small and large reservoirs from
the bank, a second rod suitable for streams for wild trout and a third rod
for that occasional foray to fish at night for Sea Trout.

Budget is immaterial. I do not like large arbor reels, preferring the
confidence of at least 100 yds of backing. I play every fish off the reel
but am completely lost in todays market. I have never broken a rod, nor
needed rings re-whipping so guarantees are or no concern. I stretch my
lines once each year, replacing them when they are cracked and sink! I only
fish to provide food for the table and neither practice catch and release
nor limit fishing; both utterly pointless IMO. I am not in the least
prejudiced in terms of maker, but I would like the professional opinion of
those contibuting to this forum so that I can be an effective coach
tomorrow!

Thanks

Angus Gilmour

Old February 10th, 2005, 10:35 PM
Derek

"Angus Gilmour" wrote in message
[...]

Like you I still use tackle I have had for many years try giving Steve
Parton a buzz he is about the most helpful dealer I know and keeps up with
what is the latest and best plus a Flyfishing International Competitor his
website is
http://www.spartonfly.dial.pipex.com/ you will find contact details on there
Derek

Old February 11th, 2005, 01:21 PM
Derek.Moody

In article , Angus Gilmour
wrote:
Hi.

cast a perfect 12 yards and can cast 26 yds without false casting, but at
that point my technique suffers.

Not suffering too badly though...

I am registered and on target to achieve
Level 2 coach certified by the Salmon and Trout Association. I had an hours

Most ordinary anglers shouldn't worry at that level but I see your need.

The trouble is, that I have not kept up to date with modern materials,
styles and other paraphanalia to be a coach in todays world. I would like
to practice what I preach and thus I need to know what is the best general
prupose rod, reel and line to buy to fish small and large reservoirs from
the bank, a second rod suitable for streams for wild trout and a third rod
for that occasional foray to fish at night for Sea Trout.

Take a look at the adverts in T&S and other publications. There are lot of
"Last years's model" rods at a bargain prices - why not get a selection and
try them? Get a feel for the sort of gear your average beginner is likely
to be buying and maybe surprise yourself - there are some very good rods
among them. It won't seem at all odd to a client that you have some last
years models btw, you don't -say- that you got them in the sales ;-)

(You might sell a few on 'lightly used' second hand and recoup some of
the outlay too.)

Once you have a feel for the recent market you will be much better placed to
look into the new season's models.

Another clue of course is the list of rods that don't reach the bargain bin.

As for reels - you should be able to judge most of them in the hand. UK game
fishing doesn't require top performance but you might want to get a few
different weights of reels to balance your range of rods.

and lines are an old hobbyhorse of mine - I buy mill ends and abuse them
vilely - at under a fiver a line I don't care if it gets dragged round a
branch a bridge-arch, or a barnacle encrusted reef.

Hth, Cheerio,

Old February 11th, 2005, 02:56 PM
Derek

Derek (Moody) wrote

--

Yes me too but have you noticed how when you do buy a dearer 'premium'
line it always gets damaged while the mill ends seem to last for ever?

Old February 11th, 2005, 09:52 PM
W. D. Grey

In article , Derek
writes
Yes me too but have you noticed how when you do buy a dearer 'premium'
line it always gets damaged while the mill ends seem to last for ever?
Derek

I managed to step on my first Cortland 444 when it happened to be lying
on a bituminous expansion joint at a reservoir. The tar content eroded
the line and I was forced to cut about 6 ft out of the middle it and
splice the two ends together. This produce an obvious kink in the line
where the core wasn't properly continuous but the line still served me
well for another couple of years.

I wasn't going to let my Cortland retire for a simple splice in the
middle :-)
--
Bill Grey
http://www.billboy.co.uk
Old February 12th, 2005, 05:41 PM
Derek.Moody

In article , W. D. Grey
wrote:

the line and I was forced to cut about 6 ft out of the middle it and
splice the two ends together. This produce an obvious kink in the line

Now I wonder what sort of taper -that- left you..?

Cheerio,

Old February 12th, 2005, 05:47 PM
Derek.Moody

In article , Derek
wrote:
Derek (Moody) wrote
and lines are an old hobbyhorse of mine - I buy mill ends and abuse them
vilely - at under a fiver a line I don't care if it gets dragged round a
branch a bridge-arch, or a barnacle encrusted reef.

Yes me too but have you noticed how when you do buy a dearer 'premium'
line it always gets damaged while the mill ends seem to last for ever?

g I have several that are now quite venerable. I wonder what the
original make/model would have been.

I still recall the anguish on a chum's face (Nigel, you lurking?) when, many
years ago, he hung a barely used Hardy line in the back of the shed for the
winter where it was found by his granny who discovered that short sections
of it made ideal gardening twine...

Cheerio,

Old February 12th, 2005, 09:41 PM
W. D. Grey

In article , Derek.Moody
writes
In article , W. D. Grey
wrote:

the line and I was forced to cut about 6 ft out of the middle it and
splice the two ends together. This produce an obvious kink in the line

Now I wonder what sort of taper -that- left you..?

Cheerio,

Rocket as normal, the cut was well into the running line.
It worked fine.
--
Bill Grey
http://www.billboy.co.uk
Old February 13th, 2005, 05:22 PM
Derek

"W. D. Grey" wrote in message
In article , Derek.Moody
writes
In article , W. D. Grey
wrote:

the line and I was forced to cut about 6 ft out of the middle it and
splice the two ends together. This produce an obvious kink in the line

Now I wonder what sort of taper -that- left you..?

Cheerio,

Rocket as normal, the cut was well into the running line.
It worked fine.
--
Bill Grey
http://www.billboy.co.uk

Just reminded me I think it was Humbrol used to sell a pvc paint that is
ideal for painting on splices it gives a smooth finish if you put several
coats on so the splice goes thro' the rings much more sweetly handy for
sealing the odd nick on the downside Trout seem to like to nibble it if you
use a contrasting colour.
Derek